Boat listing advice

DpEndofShalo

Featured Posts

Hello Everyone

A little advice required on how to rectify the slight listing of our 55ft Narrowboat. What has caused this was the removal of the wood stove after the inspection revealed it to have a broken seal. We have diesel heating and really didn't fancy a wood fire with children and animals traveling with us.

Common sense dictates that we need to replace the heavy weight of this stove in order to right the list but I have searched for weights similiar to what I have seen in rented boats in the past and do not seem to be able to come up with anything suitable. I am quite possibly searching for the incorrect term. We have only owned her since August and still have a lot to learn.

Can someone point me in the right direction or if my common sense is actually common ignorance, please feel free to right the list in my head :) Replacing the stove is not a road we wish to go down. We are happy with the diesel heating and even happier to have the space free that the stove demanded.

Thanks a million.

Me :)

Many boats are ballasted under the floor using paving slabs. Do you have any access hatch in your floor or is there an area you can take carpet up easily to reveal a board that might be able to be lifted to see if there is room for a few more slabs on one side of the vessel?

Hello Everyone

A little advice required on how to rectify the slight listing of our 55ft Narrowboat. What has caused this was the removal of the wood stove after the inspection revealed it to have a broken seal. We have diesel heating and really didn't fancy a wood fire with children and animals traveling with us.

Common sense dictates that we need to replace the heavy weight of this stove in order to right the list but I have searched for weights similiar to what I have seen in rented boats in the past and do not seem to be able to come up with anything suitable. I am quite possibly searching for the incorrect term. We have only owned her since August and still have a lot to learn.

Can someone point me in the right direction or if my common sense is actually common ignorance, please feel free to right the list in my head smile.png Replacing the stove is not a road we wish to go down. We are happy with the diesel heating and even happier to have the space free that the stove demanded.

Thanks a million.

Me smile.png

When I reduced the number of batteries in our Domestic bank our boat developed a slight (but annoyingly noticeable) list.

A furtle about in the under steps area revealed it had been 'trimmed' using some of these. (Railway 'chairs')

railwaychair2.jpg

I simply moved them one by one from one side to the other (where the batteries had been sited) until the boat was level once again. You may find you have similarly movable ballast.

People also use cast iron scale weights with handles and move them around to suit.

http://www.vintagescalesonline.co.uk/cast-iron-weights-c-4.html

it's criminal to mix sterling, imperial and metric.

what was the cost in lbs.amps/ft.hr ?

It's OK with railway-related items: lest we forget, even back in the 1960s the scale of 00 gauge trains was expressed as 4 mm to the foot.