JP3M Winterise raw water pump?

TugCaggy

Featured Posts

Hi

What is the best way to winterise the water pump on a raw water cooled JP3M?

I've drained the water via the drain plug on the exhaust manifold and then the main crankcase via the value on the side.

When I've come to drain the water pump, understand the freezing issue, I became concerned about the leathers drying out and if draining was actually a good idea, or if I need to protect the leathers whilst drained?

Any advice on what is the best strategy for protecting the water pump in the winter is most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

(Tug Caggy)

Fulbourne's National has a reciprocating water pump. There is a drain cock on the pump which we leave open in cold weather (having closed the seacock) to drain down the engine block and heads. The mud box and piping to the pump inlet, and I think the pump chamber itself remain full of water. This has been fine for 15+ years.

Edited by David Mack

You can drain the pump by removing one or both of the non return valves, it may be worth undoing the pipe that joins the top of the pump if not. The pump on mine appears to have been damaged by frost at some stage, as there is a crack running down the back of the cylinder - it doesn't cause any problems but probably best avoided.

At a guess, I'd be surprised if you had any problems with the leathers drying out as they are well impregnated with grease.

Dont forget to drain the gerbox / reduction box as well if you have the water cooled one fitted.

Hi Barry, thx for your post. First time I've heard of this - how would I know if I have a water cooled GR fitted?

Cheers

Wayne

You can drain the pump by removing one or both of the non return valves, it may be worth undoing the pipe that joins the top of the pump if not. The pump on mine appears to have been damaged by frost at some stage, as there is a crack running down the back of the cylinder - it doesn't cause any problems but probably best avoided.

At a guess, I'd be surprised if you had any problems with the leathers drying out as they are well impregnated with grease.

Many thx BMW for your helpful post - knowing the leathers are impregnated with grease is good to know. Draining the pump is straight forward as there is a plug on the bottom for this purpose. Guess it better to have damaged leathers than a frost cracked body. I'm going to drain down the pump today and hope that with the recent frost over the past couple of days that no damage has been done!

Fulbourne's National has a reciprocating water pump. There is a drain cock on the pump which we leave open in cold weather (having closed the seacock) to drain down the engine block and heads. The mud box and piping to the pump inlet, and I think the pump chamber itself remain full of water. This has been fine for 15+ years.

Hi David - Thx for your post. The engine is drained down and the pump has a drain plug on the bottom, so no problem there. Interesting to hear about mud box and you not having any problems, as I too was not going to drain that down. I have a big old heavy mud-box from a bollinder (sp?) with plenty of room for expansion, so don't think I'll have an issue with it.

Dont forget to drain the gerbox / reduction box as well if you have the water cooled one fitted.

Barry, I've just investigated and I do indeed have a water jacket on my reduction gearbox that has to be drained - I really appreciate you bringing this to my attention, as I had no idea it was water cooled. Many thanks mate!

Many thx BMW for your helpful post - knowing the leathers are impregnated with grease is good to know. Draining the pump is straight forward as there is a plug on the bottom for this purpose. Guess it better to have damaged leathers than a frost cracked body. I'm going to drain down the pump today and hope that with the recent frost over the past couple of days that no damage has been done!

Even though you have drain plugs on the pump the non return valves won't let water out of the pump or the pipework, etc. I was surprised how much water is released from here, having previously used drain tap/plugs.

I have attached a picture of the damage to my pump, not caused by me but I suspect that frost caused the damage, the pump was supplied and fitted by an 'engineer' as part of what turned out to be a shoddy rebuild, but hard to spot until I removed the pump for maintenance.

post-23974-0-29454200-1480587686_thumb.jpg