Wigrams Turn Marina

Dave /Helen

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

You are probably correct.  A thought occurred to me (a rare event I know) perhaps the reason some have never met the word under discussion as a racist word is because like myself we hadn't seen anybody other than white caucasians during the time it was being used.

Certainly not up here in the wilds of Cumbria

I was brought up in very white British area with a small Irish comunity and I knew exactly what the word meant and how it was used in an derogatory sense

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I was brought up in very white British area with a small Irish comunity and I knew exactly what the word meant and how it was used in an derogatory sense

Ditto,

Until almost the time that I left secondary school, there were from my memory nobody attending of either African or Asian origin.

That didn't stop me knowing even then that this was a derogatory racist term, and exactly what it referred to.

I find it staggering that people of roughly my own age have led a life so sheltered that they did not come across this at the time, or have not picked up on it since.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Ditto,

Until almost the time that I left secondary school, there were from my memory nobody attending of either African or Asian origin.

That didn't stop me knowing even then that this was a derogatory racist term, and exactly what it referred to.

I find it staggering that people of roughly my own age have led a life so sheltered that they did not come across this at the time, or have not picked up on it since.

Errr roughly your age! I had a hard paper round I know but "roughly your age" 

:);):)

36 minutes ago, dogless said:

This place slays me !

People were banned because they didn't fit in here, yet now we have a mod (supposedly an intelligent person) using a clearly racist expression, supported in his use by other members, based on an OED definition which is 300years old at least.

Rog

I think that, if you care to analyse the words in your post, you'll find that most if not all of them date back 300 years or considerably longer. Yet they are still in common use.

I have not noticed any moddy using a "clearly racist expression" in recent times. If this person is supported by other members, that shows that CWDF is a discussion forum, in which people have, and express, differing views - as any intelligent person surely understands.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I think that, if you care to analyse the words in your post, you'll find that most if not all of them date back 300 years or considerably longer. Yet they are still in common use.

I have not noticed any moddy using a "clearly racist expression" in recent times. If this person is supported by other members, that shows that CWDF is a discussion forum, in which people have, and express, differing views - as any intelligent person surely understands.

Some people in our " PC " society deliberately try to be upset by certain words its rather like following fashion such as the " Gluten free diet " of the day. My Dad told me years ago that WOG meant " Western oriental gentleman " that was in the sixties and thats real lfe. However he was far from a racist and actualy told me on occasion how the americans never seemed to praise how well their black soldiers had done in world war two and hardly ever mentioned their sacrifice which he thought was wrong as he stated the war would not have been won without the black americans in their army whom he had met and had a beer with whilst abroad.

Athy,

Please do not use that term again.

It is racist, offensive, and for an intelligent man, entirely avoidable.

I'm sorry but the "I never knew" excuse does not wash.

As a mod, I thought you'd be aware of the'caesars wife' situation.

Rog

Edited by dogless
  • Greenie 2

Wigrams Turn looks much bigger from that aerial view from the south. By the way i did know a man named Guy Rope and his wife was Peg ! Actually he was a little 'camp' too, if thats not too much of a derogatory bigoted pc incorrect term these days.

11 hours ago, dogless said:

Athy,

Please do not use that term again.

It is racist, offensive, and for an intelligent man, entirely avoidable.

I'm sorry but the "I never knew" excuse does not wash.

As a mod, I thought you'd be aware of the'caesars wife' situation.

Rog

Your suggestion is couched in reasonable terms.

However, I would point out that it was not I who first used "that term" on the forum in the first place, some time ago - I simply informed the poster who did use it (and it's so long ago that I've forgotten why he did) of its original and correct meaning, which, as I explained, has no racial connection whatsoever. Someone then informed me of an alternative meaning  used by low-lifes. I was quite clearly not seeking to offend anybody.

Nor have I used it in this current thread. Someone else did.

No, although I have some interest in history (last weekend I was clambering around the Roman amphitheatre in Nimes) I am not aware of the activities of Caesar's missus. It wasn't actually a prerequisite for becoming a moddy. But if you wish to explain that term, I will read your words with interest.

58 minutes ago, Athy said:

Someone then informed me of an alternative meaning  used by low-lifes. I was quite clearly not seeking to offend anybody.

I was aware as a child (born in the 50s) that it was not a nice word to use, especially when talking about people of African origin.

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Little used?

40 or 50 years ago it was very much used, and therein lies the problem with the word, surely?

Most, (but clearly not all!), of us remember a time when it was a very frequently used term of racial abuse.

Alf Garnett frequently used it to describe his neighbour in Love Thy Neighbour - definitely a term of abuse.

Urban Dictionary has an amusing definition :)

5 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Not sure it matters going :smiley_offtopic:in this thread given the direction it has taken, but for comparison a view of Calcutt and Ventnor.

OnUsBD6.jpg

yes its amazing how much more you can see from the air than from the tiller. Have you ever looked for your owned boat on Google Earth ?  I found mine.

16 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Some people in our " PC " society deliberately try to be upset by certain words its rather like following fashion such as the " Gluten free diet " of the day. My Dad told me years ago that WOG meant " Western oriental gentleman " that was in the sixties and thats real lfe. However he was far from a racist and actualy told me on occasion how the americans never seemed to praise how well their black soldiers had done in world war two and hardly ever mentioned their sacrifice which he thought was wrong as he stated the war would not have been won without the black americans in their army whom he had met and had a beer with whilst abroad.

The re-definition of words as racist, and the desire of some PC people to be obsessively anti-racist both entertains and irritates me.

Its ok to go out for a "Chinese", though going for a chinky is often frowned upon.

Going out for an "Indian" is an everyday part of our culture, but going to the paki shop is racist, even though PAKI is what defines Pakistan.

Brit for British is fine but Itie for Italian is not. My local "ethnic" shop when I lived in Southampton was generally known as Afghan Ali's. Is this ok.

Calling an Irishman a Paddy is probably racist but betting on the horses at Paddy Power is fine.

Its not the words themselves that matter but the context (hatred) in the way that they are used and just banning words because a few people use them as insults means a never ending number of banned words. Trouble is if your not an active part of the PC culture (schools, councils, government etc) then its hard to keep up to date as to which common words can no longer be. For example we now have to say person of colour rather than coloured person.

A group of boaters on the K&A used to fondly refer to themselves as the Pikey Navy. :D

..............Dave

• Greenie 2

And thinking about racist words a bit more, I have noticed the term "Bargee Traveller" has now started to be used to describe "Canal Low Life" or boat based petty criminals in the same way that Pikey would be used to describe road based travelling low life. How long before "Bargee Traveller" is a banned word and what are the implications for the NBTA ???

..............Dave

32 minutes ago, dmr said:

And thinking about racist words a bit more, I have noticed the term "Bargee Traveller" has now started to be used to describe "Canal Low Life" or boat based petty criminals in the same way that Pikey would be used to describe road based travelling low life. How long before "Bargee Traveller" is a banned word and what are the implications for the NBTA ???

..............Dave

Yes correct. Its all about how and when certain words are used. I and some friends in our little community have some T shirts with " Canal Trash " printed on and " Heyford chapter " on the back. I like being Canal Trash :D