Wigrams Turn Marina

Dave /Helen

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I did read his post about Indonesia but I did not notice a "racist rant", however it was in a different thread and I can't remember which one so I can't check at the moment.

I believe it was this one: 

I,ve just learned the word troll and i believe lulu fish,s attitude fits that bill. For anyone else who may be interested i,ve spent best part of 33 years away from uk, and, my word havent folks attitudes changed? Not for the better.  Since1984  i,ve pent long postings working for a famous British aeroengine company as chief technical representative in sweden, whered i learned to sail boats, an 11 year spell in jakarta indonesia, where i learned to enjoy the hash house harriers runners club, and despise the hypocracy, violence and corruption of islam, 4 years in sao paulo brazil where i learned to ride a motor cycle at 50 years old, and dodge armed street bandits, followed by 4 years building A380 superjumbos in Hamburg, Germany, and then a second spell in jakarta until 2008. I took the early pension after a heart issue and with my indonesia wife retired to Bali on Sea.  2014 i,m back in uk for medical problems and decided a second home in England should be my dreamboat Alchemy, as house prices are so ridiculous. How can anyone who,s lived in tropics spend winter on a narrowboat?  My blood has thinned. So we spend winter months in Bali and now coming up to our 4th season aboard Alchemy. I write this from our small house in Nusa Dua, southern tip of Bali island, now full of russian and chinese nouvo riche, and on 20 April we,re into Barby. Hooray !  I miss engineering chat and good banter, and love the cuts friendly culture, well from most anyway. I,m sorry for lulu fish,s confrontational attitude, it seems to be a modern British virus.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, lulu fish said:

You fellas are hilarious

It is pleasing to know that your forum colleagues provide you with entertaining reading. I don't actually see the hilarity in using a word in its normal, correct sense rather than in a derogatory sense apparently used by low-lifes, but whatever floats your boat.

30 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

You are such a nig nog, Athy. 

I can be when the occasion demands it, yes (it's one word, not two, by the way).

I don't think that the existence of a secondary meaning of a word should deter us from employing that word in its original sense. For example, I often use the expression "for the nonce", meaning "for the time being". Now apparently (as I'm sure you'll know) "nonce" can be a derogatory term used amongst prisoners. To cease using valid a word or phrase simply because it had been appropriated by yahoos would be to lose the variety of our rich language.

2 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

I guess that makes it okay then   

I wasnt realy having a go. You would be suprised at how many people think there is an offence of being a racist. I have always understood the term Nig Nog to mean a black person one of my best mates calls me a " White Honkey " I think speech alone cannot be construed to be racist but can be used as such when deliberately intended it will depend on personal interpretation and circumstance at the time.

Folks, this topic started as an enquiry about wigrams turn marina.

Coincidentally our lovely Alchemy was first registered with Wigrams as its home marina and still carries that. Wigrams Turn has a very nice ring to it. We pass by regularly. 

Live and let live if you please.

(Except ISIS and trolls that is. Is that prejudicial ? Tough titty.)

2 minutes ago, Irob said:

I went to see the doctor. 

"What seems to be the problem"

" oh doc, i,m continously dreaming i,m either a wigwam or a teepee "

" your just too tense" !

V.Good, though i suspect it reads better as "just two tense"

I suppose wigrams turn could be a good name for a whisky. Pitty they dont distil it there, it,d be handy. Mind you, not if they use canal water. But then again it could give it a peatty earthy nose, i suppose, i mean if it were to arose.

1 minute ago, Irob said:

Mind you, not if they use canal water. But then again it could give it a peatty earthy nose, i suppose, i mean if it were to arose.

It could possibly give it a different type of nose,especially if people have been emptying their bog into the cut!

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

"No racial undertone whatsoever" - Tony

Do you wish to take the >300 year old common meaning or the obscure, little-used 10 year old one? Like Athy, I'd never come across the new usage until today. 

Little used?

40 or 50 years ago it was very much used, and therein lies the problem with the word, surely?

Most, (but clearly not all!), of us remember a time when it was a very frequently used term of racial abuse.

• Greenie 4

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Little used?

40 or 50 years ago it was very much used, and therein lies the problem with the word, surely?

Most, (but clearly not all!), of us remember a time when it was a very frequently used term of racial abuse.

Agreed, and it seems shame that this issue has been dragged up again on this forum, with some of the same members getting involved yet again.  The words was regularly used by my grandparents (long deceased) well over 30 years ago, in its racist sense.  I frankly find it astounding that members on here can have led such sheltered lives that they've stayed ignorant of this meaning.  Also, it is a highly offensive term to many people, whether intended or not.  Once that has been made clear, I would expect any reasonable person to apologise, even if they're usage was meant innocently.

I'd rather not have to close this thread...

Dave and Alan have hit upon an interesting point when they mention 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It occurs to me that I rarely hear ethnically derogatory terms used nowadays, even in pubs. I suppose that we are now such a multi-cultural society that most people in Britain have grown accustomed to the broad ethnic span of our community, with the result that we get along far more tolerantly and harmoniously than may have been the case back then.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

Dave and Alan have hit upon an interesting point when they mention 30, 40 or 50 years ago. It occurs to me that I rarely hear ethnically derogatory terms used nowadays, even in pubs. I suppose that we are now such a multi-cultural society that most people in Britain have grown accustomed to the broad ethnic span of our community, with the result that we get along far more tolerantly and harmoniously than may have been the case back then.

You are probably correct.  A thought occurred to me (a rare event I know) perhaps the reason some have never met the word under discussion as a racist word is because like myself we hadn't seen anybody other than white caucasians during the time it was being used.

Certainly not up here in the wilds of Cumbria

28 minutes ago, Jerra said:

A thought occurred to me (a rare event I know) perhaps the reason some have never met the word under discussion as a racist word is because like myself we hadn't seen anybody other than white caucasians during the time it was being used.

Or maybe the immediate society that surrounded us at that time wouldn't have used such terms. One of my first girlfriends in my mid-teens was black and it never occurred to me or my friends that there was anything remotely 'odd' about that, or that she was any different to us other than the obvious colour of her skin. 

Anyone still interested in wigrams turn ?  Or has this debate on racial slurs and political correctness overwhelmed it ?

Didnt the N word come out of the french word meaning black and the original African slaves taken from the River Niger delta area that may have been the original French Congo i,m not sure but now called Nigeria ?  I was reading that Golliwog came from an african arab term ghouls or ghosts, a name for local black folks in north africa, and w.o.g.s.which was a british army abbreviation for these local workers permits Working On Government Service which these local gents were issued with. The cuddly friendly doll of the same name was the invention of a young anglo-american lady well over 100 years ago.  There was until very recently an indonesian toothpaste called Darky depicted by a top hatted minstrel with lovely shiny white teeth. The image is still the same but the toothepaste now called Darly. The Indonesians couldnt see what all the fuss was about and hated changing it.  Its good all these unsavoury images are now obliterated. However i,m also sad that good words have been changed out of context. The portrait of the Gay Cavalier now changed to the Laughing Cavalier, i think, and my son when he was young asked me about Marvin Gayes sexual orientation. Not nice i feel.  Whites in Indonesia are termed Bules, meaning White Devils, but we are not at liberty to complain about it.  Time goes by as it does.