Engine service parts (Canaline 42)

Johny London

Featured Posts

I seem to have trouble sourcing basic engine service parts - typically ordering at Chandlers with lengthy delays and high prices.

Can anyone advise either for an online place or good local (I'm in Rickmansworth at the moment) supplier? Should I try to source parts from motor factors or places such as local car shops/halfords? I'm never quite sure about oil, often being offered oils slightly different in spec to what the book recommends.

I feel like I haven't nailed a good steady supply of correct items, it must be simple surely?

This is the specified oil

Engine Oil Selection Engines Plus recommends that API CC grade oil is used in all of its marine engines. Alternatively an API CD grade can be used if an API CC grade is unavailable.

The correct grade oil is available from your local marine dealer.

• 5 litres API CC 10W/40 – EP part no - EP710008

•25 litres API CC 10W/40 – EP part no - EP710009

These are very good. No connection other than as a customer.

https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk

From their home screen you need to go to the second box down "find your filter by part number fast!!!".

Click "select manufacturer" and select "Daedong" from the drop down list.

Daedong are the parent company of Kioti. Kioti brand tractors use Daedong engines; but the Kioti name is used in the UK for the engines as well.

As above and find other users of the engine in cars tractors etc then cross match filters with premium brands and try motor factors or in my case ebay as my engine is common to loads of uses including isuzu trooper and vauxhall to name but two

I have just obtained 3 x WIX filters for the sum of £7.50 delivered from a well known factor as a stock clearance item

Ray

• 5 months later...

I have been to Truck parts suppliers all over the UK and have always matched oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, belts etc etc for a fraction of the cost from Chandlers. Out of interest I have also bought Thetford cassette spares from a camping shop at much lower price than the chandlers. Same applies to rope, cleats and chain, the list goes on. Shop around

Interesting. When you say "matched" how do you do that exactly? I only have the part numbers supplied in my canal line handbook. I'm sure if I could match up parts reliably I could make life easier for myself - and cheaper. In fact just the other week I ordered all the service items at a chandlers, but when I chased them up a week later they said they couldn't get any of them!

I use https://www.inlinefilters.co.uk/ for my Beta engine.  They cross reference Beta filter numbers against Baldwin filters.

Google the part number you have and see if any sites offer an alternative product.

I did find one site - I forget which - that if you entered a Beta part number the price for a corresponding Baldwin part was higher than if you entered the Baldwin number directly.  I did not order from them.  So when you know the part number of a Baldwin/Fram etc filter, delete your cookies, close and reopen your browser and then enter the number directly and see if the price changes.

If you have a boat neighbour with a similar engine, then buying a 20l drum of motor oil from a truck parts factor can save you a lot of money over 5l cans. Until recently we had a next boat neighbour with an identical Beta 43. We would buy replacement filters in bulk and a big drum of oil and service both boats at the same time. As others have said, find the generic filter part numbers for the base engine around which your Canaline is based. Another vote for Inlinefilters here. They have been very good.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If you have a boat neighbour with a similar engine, then buying a 20l drum of motor oil from a truck parts factor can save you a lot of money over 5l cans. Until recently we had a next boat neighbour with an identical Beta 43. We would buy replacement filters in bulk and a big drum of oil for servicing. As others have said, find the generic filter part numbers for the base engine around which your Canaline is based. Another vote for Inlinefilters here. They have been very good.

Agree about buying oil in 20L tubs - I got mine from an agricultural dealer who had an offer on at the time - but conveniently the space between the engine and the skin tank is big enough for 20L liter containers, now occupied by two half full tubs, one of coolant and one of oil.  Not to mention a couple of filters sat on top of the swim, all below the deck boards.  It is worth putting waste oil into 5l containers as our local tip (now called the recycling centre) waste oil tank is designed to make it very difficult to empty 20l containers. 

On 11/28/2016 at 14:18, PaddingtonBear said:

Halfords pah!!!!!! I went to buy a fan belt in an emergency yesterday(sun) and they don't sell them, special order from Euro Parts only........useless

I needed an oil filter from Halfords (Stroud) and they told me they were no longer made and I would have to get a new engine !! £4.50 from the Internet, a bit cheaper and a considerable saving !!

12 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

I needed an oil filter from Halfords (Stroud) and they told me they were no longer made and I would have to get a new engine !! £4.50 from the Internet, a bit cheaper and a considerable saving !!

£4.50 is excellent price for an engine :)

• Greenie 1

The last time I went into a Halfords store( Newport IOW ) & picked a Stop/tail lamp bulb from the rack at the checkout the pimply youth asked what car was it for I said it was correct for a good few different vehicles but he insisted I tell him what car was it for,  I replied a 2004 Vauxhall Astra . He fiddled about on his computer & then said they are no longer available  but he could order me a complete rear lamp cluster . I left the bulb on the counter & exited smartly, A further cock up my daughter bought me a socket set as a Christmas present the set  had a life time warranty the ratchet failed after around 2 years. I returned with it to the local branch & after a lot of waffle the manager would not replace it because I didn't have a receipt showing how old it was  when I pointed out it was life time warranty he said that different sets had different life lengths " Duh" a trading standards letter to Head Office produced a complete replacement socket set "The mind Boggles"

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

The last time I went into a Halfords store( Newport IOW ) & picked a Stop/tail lamp bulb from the rack at the checkout the pimply youth asked what car was it for I said it was correct for a good few different vehicles but he insisted I tell him what car was it for,  I replied a 2004 Vauxhall Astra .

I had a similar thing with Halfords (Stroud) holding a fuse in my hand.  Spotty assistant " What's it for" I replied "1989 Springer" He couldn't find it in his book but I managed to persuade him to sell it to me. 

• Haha 1