Any Old Iron? Scrap values.

Featured Posts

As a part owner of a boat, I'm interested in what happens when it finally expires and goes to the great mooring post in the sky. What value does the boat have?

It's a 65' boat in good condition, with base plate of around 6mm at last inspection and sides of around 7mm. It's in generally good condition, with a 3-cylinder Lister. It is over 30 years old, with original interior fittings.

Currently it's valued over £30,000.

So, if one day (hopefully many years or decades away) it failed its inspection / insurance check, what would the mortal remains be worth? Or would they be swallowed up by craneage and storage charges!

I too would be interested in information - solely because they hardly ever do seem to expire, with the exception of old wooden boats. I did see a steel-and-rust n/b cut up at Fox's about three years ago, but more often people have work done on them to prolong their active life, as far as I can see.

So maybe the question should be how much a decent boat in need of overplating is worth? Not that this is currently an issue, thank goodness.

If I was wealthy with large grounds, I'd love to buy some nice old narrowboats with decent interiors, but condemned hulls, and sink them in the lawn as guest accommodation! (A lot of old houses in Essex have moats, so that might even be better!)

So maybe the question should be how much a decent boat in need of overplating is worth? Not that this is currently an issue, thank goodness.

If I was wealthy with large grounds, I'd love to buy some nice old narrowboats with decent interiors, but condemned hulls, and sink them in the lawn as guest accommodation! (A lot of old houses in Essex have moats, so that might even be better!)

There is one as a school classroom at Rugley http://chancelprimary.co.uk/

Re; The Rugely School Library.

That was a new hull built by Nick Thorpe ( who built Sui Generis for us) . I think his own child goes to that school and was how he got involved. I gather it is well used and adds a bit of local character!

They make great guest accomodation, far better than a caravan in the garden!

And if you look out the cost of a good shepherds hut or a showmans wagon, they are great comparative value.

Mick

About £115 pe tonne.

Possibly not for old steel that has been covered in coatings and has lots of welds in it. That fetches a different price from new off-cuts which my extensive research (about 30 seconds worth) suggests your price refers to.

In truth for a narrowboat the sum appears to be in three figures total.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Dunno but I bought 12 kilos of scrap brass yesterday to cast CRT plates (Very nice they are too, lovely Christmas presen, not expensive either) and it cost £30 so if you find a brass narrowboat its worth a heap of cash.

Across the Board values at the moment are:

Metal Type Scrap Metal Price UK Guide

Copper£2.60 – £3.60 / kg

Aluminium£0.25 – £1.50 / kg

Lead£0.42 – £1.00 / kg

Brass£0.90 – £2.80 / kg

Copper Wire£3.60 – £3.90 / kg

Steel (Heavy)£0.05 – £0.14 / kg

Steel (Stainless)£0.55 – £1.00 / kg

Iron£0.04 – £0.08 / kg

Titanium£1.40 – £2.00 / kg

Gold£8.80 – £23.46 / g

Silver£0.13 – £0.26 / g

Platinum£20.14 – £22.36 / g

The cost of stripping out and disposing of the interior cladding floors etc, then cutting the hull into manageable pieces to go in a skip will exceed what you get at the weigh bridge. Also, the cost of lifting it out or renting a dry dock or putting it in a field while you dismantle to be added. In summary, it will cost to scrap a boat, so set that against re-plating and keeping it might look like a more attractive option.

Old worn out air cooled Listers in need of re-building won't fetch much either.

Across the Board values at the moment are:

Metal Type Scrap Metal Price UK Guide

Copper£2.60 – £3.60 / kg

Aluminium£0.25 – £1.50 / kg

Lead£0.42 – £1.00 / kg

Brass£0.90 – £2.80 / kg

Copper Wire£3.60 – £3.90 / kg

Steel (Heavy)£0.05 – £0.14 / kg

Steel (Stainless)£0.55 – £1.00 / kg

Iron£0.04 – £0.08 / kg

Titanium£1.40 – £2.00 / kg

Gold£8.80 – £23.46 / g

Silver£0.13 – £0.26 / g

Platinum£20.14 – £22.36 / g

I didn't realise that stainless scrap was so relatively valuable up there with lead.