Overheating

Bee

Featured Posts

Apparently one of the new Type 45 destroyers has had to be towed back into Portsmouth, seems that the engine (s) have an overheating problem. Blocked filters? Impeller? I don't suppose many of us are familiar with Type 45 destroyers, I'm alright with BMC's and a few others but I'm stumped with this one. Anybody got any ideas? the things cost £1billion each so I expect the navy would appreciate some suggestions.

Interesting. They have RR turbines as well as diesel generators so I wonder if it was the pods that were overheating as opposed to the engines?

"Total Propulsion Failure". I guess they can't afford any spare fuses. ;)

I understand that recent new Navy surface ships have not had sufficient generating capacity so with "everything" running suffered generators shutting down on overload. I thought that they had cured this but maybe not.

If the generators are overloaded I would expect a fall in voltage and from that overheating of motors etc. as well as the generators themselves.

Just conjecture in respect of the latest reports.

The skin tanks are too small, its a well known problem, I read it on this forum lots of times.

.............Dave

Or the raw water filter is blocked or not properly sealed and letting air in

When I was involved with RR turbines, they were air cooled.

OK there must be a split in that funny canvas tube thingy that leads up to the pidgin box in the engin' room roof.

.............Dave

She has two gas turbines and two large diesel engines each providing electrical power to the two propulsion motors. The motors comprise two half-motors each so there is a lot of redundancy built in. This propulsion philosophy is common on cruise ships and has proved to be effective. I'm amazed that she lost all propulsion. I read in one paper that a sea-water cooling pipe split.