Dutch Barge on Canal Du Midi

Ratty & Moley

Featured Posts

Dear Athy, for someone like you who's fluent in French, it would surely not have been a big problem, there is a good website of the French railways (SNCF) www.voyages-sncf.com that could have given you alternative possibilities, like doing Lyon-Auxerre / Auxerre-Corbigny and from Corbigny gare to the Locaboat place by taxi, not really such a huge problem I reckon.

THank you very much, Peter. I did use the S.N.C.F. web site, I put in my departure and arrival stations, and lo! and behold, it routed me through Paris. I can't remember the details, as this was last year.

THank you very much, Peter. I did use the S.N.C.F. web site, I put in my departure and arrival stations, and lo! and behold, it routed me through Paris. I can't remember the details, as this was last year.

You have to know the railway stations in the area, as SNCF likes you to go through Paris.

If I want to go to a place that's only 60km by road from were I am, and there's a gare where I live and the town I want to go to, they want me to go to Paris, and change trains there, but as I know the stations on the way, I only do 40kms towarts Paris, and get another train from there that go's to where I want to go.

My solution is much quicker and also much cheaper, as with the SNCF the price is based on the kms.

I haven't used trains lately, as there a good site of "convoiturage" named "Blablacar", and I can almost always find someone that is going where I want to go for less money than the train, and it's more convenient too, as I don't have to change trains.

Peter.

Edited by bargemast