Lister jp3 fuel pump coupling

jimbob01

Featured Posts

Hello, I would like to ask if anyone out there knows the correct procedure for changing the coupling on the fuel pump of a jp3 ?

Mine makes a clatter and I read it was common they wear here

I have bought what appears to be a genuine part some time ago ... I just need to fit it.

Any advice would be gladly recieved ?

Many thanks Jim

It is not a difficult job to change the coupling . Slacken the injector pipes where they fit on to the pump , or disconnect them entirely. The fuel pump is fixed to the engine by bolts underneath. They can be awkward to get on to with a spanner. Remove them , slide the pump back a little to free the coupling then swap it for the new one. Reassemble and ensure the injector pipes are tight. Slacken the injector pipes a little at the injector end remembering to hold the fitting into the injector to avoid it undoing. Crank the engine until fuel spits out at the injectors then tighten. That's it. Except.... If you want to be text book you should re check the pump spill timing... and it is a good idea to check the oil level in the injector pump while you are there.

A temporary dodge to shut the clacking noise from the coupling on these engines, Dorman LBs and Ford 4Ds etc is to put a small squirt of silicone instant gasket on each side of the coupling "dogs" Let it set. Hey presto it's quiet. for a while! laugh.png