Thames in April?

Hornblower

Featured Posts

Hello,

in October last year we did a marvelous tour on the Thamse from Reading to London and back. It was indeed one of the best of our numerous narrowboat holidays. So in mid April next year we plan to do the other way from Reading to Oxford.

Can anyone tell me how the conditions on the Thamse usually are at that time of year? And of course some recommendations for places and attractions are appreciated smile.png

Cheers from Germany

It's very difficult to predict weather conditions in the UK - being an island and dependent on what Trump, Putin and others throw at us (joke...).

We've been moored on the River for 12 years and move from a winter mooring to 'our' island in late March / early April and I can't remember a year when we couldn't do that.

Indeed mid April can be very calm and pleasant - if a bit chill.

The boating season (for local boaters) will hardly have started - so you won't face long queues at the locks, indeed you may have to operate them your selves. Downstream of Oxford they are all electrically operated and easy to work.

All sorts of pubs and restaurants on the way:-

Mapledurham House (historic), café at the lock and moorings outside the house

Pangbourne shops, pubs and 'fish & Chips'. Popular overnight mooring

Goring 2 pubs, restaurants

Wallingford Pubs shops. Historic town - worth a visit

Benson - the coldest place in England. Café

Shillingford. Hotel by the bridge. Average food

Dorchester - very pleasant town. Historic Abbey, several pubs, small shop. A stiff walk across the fields from Days Lock. Wittenham clump on the other side of the lock with great views.

(Culham - nothing ; pubs have closed)

Abingdon Pubs, shops , ancient churches and almshouse. The centre of the town - by the river is small; the rest is not worth visiting

Sandford Pub by the lock - moor outside

Iffley Small village with a shop. Avoid the council estate.

Oxford Where to start...

Ashmolean museum (art), Science Museum (mathematics and measuring instruments), Natural History with Pitt Rivers museum behind - that's a Must.

Bate Museum of musical instruments - not as dull as it sounds. All are within reasonable walking distance of the moorings above Osney Lock.

It's well worth looking round some of the colleges and if you're there in late April (Trinity term starts 17th. April), it's well worth attending Choral Evensong - even if its only for the music.

If you can stretch to going above Oxford, its worth going up to Eynsham and Pinkhill where there are good walks, but not a lot else.

The best guide is "The River Thames Book" by Chris Cove-Smith. Somewhat out of date, but good maps

Edited by OldGoat
  • Greenie 1

Thank you for the recommendations so far.

When OldGoat says he could travel at that time in the past 12 years, that puts my mind at ease. But anyway we will be prepared to switch to the Kennet & Avon if the hirecompany says so on our startday.

And indeed we try to get above Oxford. Maybe to the end of navigation, but thats quite ambitious for 2 weeks. We will see...

In the internet I found some nice fotos of a waterway in Oxford that passes under a very old enclosed bridge and in front of an old impressing building (university or college?). Is that the river Cherwell or a canal? I want to take my kayak with me.

Edited by Hornblower

And indeed we try to get above Oxford. Maybe to the end of navigation, but thats quite ambitious for 2 weeks. We will see...

You could check the CanalPlan website to see how far is do-able in the time you have (2 weeks?).

Back in 1978 I hired a Hoseasons cruiser at Thames Ditton and made it to Oxford (Port Meadow) and back in 1 week. Can't remember what time of year it was but the days will be quite long by April so if you have 2 weeks I would have thought it should be possible.

Downstream of Oxford they are all electrically operated and easy to work.

Not if some dick has pressed the wrong buttons and tripped the power supply, which often seems to be the case.

Working those locks with the handwheel which drives the hydraulics is not for the faint-hearted (literally - I can quite imagine someone of weak disposition having a heart attack trying to turn that wheel for 5 minutes just to raise the paddles).

Murflynn, on 23 Nov 2016 - 1:13 PM, said:

Not if some dick has pressed the wrong buttons and tripped the power supply, which often seems to be the case.

Working those locks with the handwheel which drives the hydraulics is not for the faint-hearted (literally - I can quite imagine someone of weak disposition having a heart attack trying to turn that wheel for 5 minutes just to raise the paddles).

Sadly there are a number of 'richards' on the River (as well as on the canals). The problem is that nobody reads the instructions on the lock pedestals.

The only thing that locks up the system is if the "sluices up" button is held for a long time - rather than just held until the solenoid valve clicks in the cabinet. After that the filling / emptying is automatic. Holding the button won't make it go any faster - but they won't listen.....

From King's Lock (two above Oxford) the locks are 'proper locks' - manual with balance beams and a delight to operate. Great scenery and the occasional pub.

Kelmscott Manor is worth a visit as is the nearby pub.

Lechlade is OK, but not much else other than reprovisioning - Italian bakery and the local Spar (?) has been refurbished and offers a bit more than you'd expect.

Remember that the Thames always has some flow - so getting back to Reading will be swift.

From Oxford going up is a couple of days and down a day and a half.

So two weeks should be adequate - even with a bit of tourism.

When OldGoat says he could travel at that time in the past 12 years, that puts my mind at ease. But anyway we will be prepared to switch to the Kennet & Avon if the hirecompany says so on our startday.

In the internet I found some nice fotos of a waterway in Oxford that passes under a very old enclosed bridge and in front of an old impressing building (university or college?). Is that the river Cherwell or a canal? I want to take my kayak with me.

It might be of Magdalen Bridge, over the river Cherwell, with Magdalen College in the background, but it's hard to be sure without seeing the photo.

Essentially Oxford has three waterways:

The Thames (sometimes also called Isis in Oxford) which is navigable by a narrow boat (and wide beams) from Lechlade past Oxford, Reading and London. Below Folly Bridge in Oxford (another possible location for your photos) it also has some bigger vessels such as the Salters trip boats.

The Cherwell, a tributary which joins the river just south of the city centre. It's mainly used only by punts, although a narrow boat would physically fit a little way up it; I'm not sure if that would be permitted.

The Oxford canal, which connects into the Thames at two points upriver from the city centre, and goes north to connect with other canals in the Midlands.

This is navigable for narrow boats but not widebeams.

A kayak could be used on any of these (subject to having a permit I think; I'm not sure of the rules for those but the EA run the Thames and CRT run the canal, so maybe look at their websites).

• Greenie 1

We go up the Thames (K&A to Oxford) every year late April or early May. Its usually ok but once or twice has been not so good. The later you leave it the more likely it is to be calm.

Remember that what Old Goat is happy to do, what I am willing to do, and what you are willing to do or will find enjoyable might be 4 very different things. Getting up to Days Lock can be a bit scary when the river is flowing, and upstream of Osney Lock (Oxford) can be pretty traumatic to impossible in a strong flow.

You say Plan B is the K&A but this will have to be upstream (West) of Newbury and not the base at Aldermaston. If the Thames is flowing enough to put you of then its almost certain that the Kennet will be a no go area. When we get down the down the Kennet and turn onto the Thames I breathe a big sigh of relief.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

We go up the Thames (K&A to Oxford) every year late April or early May. Its usually ok but once or twice has been not so good. The later you leave it the more likely it is to be calm.

Remember that what Old Goat is happy to do, what I am willing to do, and what you are willing to do or will find enjoyable might be 4 very different things. Getting up to Days Lock can be a bit scary when the river is flowing, and upstream of Osney Lock (Oxford) can be pretty traumatic to impossible in a strong flow.

You say Plan B is the K&A but this will have to be upstream (West) of Newbury and not the base at Aldermaston. If the Thames is flowing enough to put you of then its almost certain that the Kennet will be a no go area. When we get down the down the Kennet and turn onto the Thames I breathe a big sigh of relief.

................Dave

Agree with all that . We too are regular escapees of the k and a in the spring . If the Thames is running Red , the Kennet and Avon will he more than just a bit interesting . Bunny

• Greenie 1

When the conditions of the Thames and the Kennet & Avon are usually the same, I need a new Plan B...

As there are no other options from Aldermaston Wharf, the hirecompany will have to book us spontaniously to one of their other bases around the system. They will prefer that to chancel our booking completely ... same with me.

But anyway I hope that we can travel the Thames.

When the conditions of the Thames and the Kennet & Avon are usually the same, I need a new Plan B...

As there are no other options from Aldermaston Wharf, the hirecompany will have to book us spontaniously to one of their other bases around the system. They will prefer that to chancel our booking completely ... same with me.

But anyway I hope that we can travel the Thames.

Trouble is, if conditions are bad but not really bad the hire company might still send you out towards Newbury, they might provide a staff member to help you through Woolhampton lock (they used to, dunno if they still do). This might be ok for you if you enjoy exciting boating, it might even be great, but if you want a relaxing time then its not so good.

My own view is that the Kennet is not the best bit of the K&A. It does have some very pretty bits (as rivers do) but there are not many facilities (pubs) and its a little bit "uninspiring light industrial" in places.

...............Dave

• Greenie 1

................Dave

Trouble is, if conditions are bad but not really bad the hire company might still send you out towards Newbury, they might provide a staff member to help you through Woolhampton lock (they used to, dunno if they still do). This might be ok for you if you enjoy exciting boating, it might even be great, but if you want a relaxing time then its not so good.

...............Dave

I have some experiences with my GRP cruiser on the german river Elbe, which can have strong current at times. A long and heavy narrowboat is more difficult to maneuver but the challenge would ad to the adventure for me. I remember a situation some years ago when we had to wait on the Severn just in front of the lock into Gloucester dock. It was tricky because of the strong current but also exciting.

I think we will only leave the Thamse if it is forbidden (showing red boards?). And even then we will enjoy the "extra fun" on the Kennet wink.png

I have some experiences with my GRP cruiser on the german river Elbe, which can have strong current at times. A long and heavy narrowboat is more difficult to maneuver but the challenge would ad to the adventure for me. I remember a situation some years ago when we had to wait on the Severn just in front of the lock into Gloucester dock. It was tricky because of the strong current but also exciting.

I think we will only leave the Thamse if it is forbidden (showing red boards?). And even then we will enjoy the "extra fun" on the Kennet wink.png

If you are used to navigating on a river, then The Thames should / will not frighten you, although in an underpowered narrowboat you need to anticipate cross flows from side streams and weirs.

All the locks have laybys at their head and tails. Many of these are sheltered, so picking up the mooring is easy.

It's a narrow river for the most part and sheltered - cross winds are only a nuisance if you are trying to pick up a mooring.

It's not forbidden to cruise when Red Boards are displayed - though your hire boat company may / will instruct you otherwise! You can and should use the lock layby as a safe haven under such circumstances.

• Greenie 1