Coughs and sneezes

mross

Featured Posts

My wife and I are both recovering from a nasty cold that has lasted three weeks. We find Night Nurse very good at getting us to sleep but have been coughing a lot in the morning and as we go to bed. We have just discovered Broncho Stop which is a herbal medecine. I'm cynical but it really works!

What helps with winter colds for you?

My wife and I are both recovering from a nasty cold that has lasted three weeks. We find Night Nurse very good at getting us to sleep but have been coughing a lot in the morning and as we go to bed. We have just discovered Broncho Stop which is a herbal medecine. I'm cynical but it really works!

What helps with winter colds for you?

You have my sympathy: Mrs. Athy and I both went down with heavy colds a few weeks ago - shortly after returning from a warm, sunny week in Spain! We think we must have picked up germs on the aeroplane coming back to Stansted.

Regular doses of aspirin; regular doses of bitter ale during evening; Benylin at bedtime. Some outside exercise, such as going for a walk or doing some gardening, during the day seemed to help too. You are following my late father's strategy: he used to drink several glasses of Scotch in the evening when he had a cold, declaring that by the end of the evening he still had a cold but that he didn't care.

I was working abroad when I git a really bad summer cold. The barman suggested brandy & hot milk so I bought one to see how it worked. It was one of those evenings where there was a succession of folk walking in the bar asking "What you drinking, Tony?" By the end of the night I couldn't see straight and fell off my bike three times before deciding to leave it in the bushes. The following morning I had a banging headache and terminal dehydration... but the cold was gone!

I'm taking A-Z vitamins and minerals just in case it might help.

It might hinder!

The reason we feel so shitty and pour greenery from all of our facial orifices when we have a cold is not not because the various cold viruses are so nasty, but because our immune systems pitch a fit and totally overreact to them-much as is the case with allergies. All of the cold symptoms are your immune system's friendly fire.

Ergo, anything designed to boost your immune system even further will do nothing to make you feel better!

So there's an unconventional remedy in itself; avoid vitamins!

Wife and I never seem to get colds or flu. They seem to me to be only available to employees and not the self employed for some reason.

Tim

Yes, funny that, I haven't had a cold for twenty years, ie since I became self employed.

Night Nurse was a lovely song by Edward II, a sort of reggae-folk band popular at festivals.

(quote)

Saw them at Cropredy the other year but I don't think they played that one., Unless it's a different song, it was actually a very popular reggae single by Gregory Isaacs around 1980.

EDIT: Whoops sorry, I have no idea how my comment appeared in your post instead of in my own. The "quote" function seems to work differently for Staff and I am still getting used to it.

- Athy

Edited by Athy

I use all the old style remedies. Vic , covonia chest medicine (tastes vile so must be good ) take usually 2 bottles to shift a cold . Honey and lemon lozenges. Paracetamol.anti histamine. Hot water bottle , and a very strong hot toddy at bedtime or if really rough breakfast . Best of all home made chicken soup ( always keep chicken stock in the freezer especially for colds ). That's the fastest cure .... it's the enzymes apparently . Bunny

Yes, funny that, I haven't had a cold for twenty years, ie since I became self employed.

I've had a few bad colds, possibly flu, but I never had a day off work for illness over 45 years in my career.

I was hospitalised when I was shot in Nigeria, and I have taken the odd day off to attend 'an uncle's funeral', but that's all.

What amazed me was how guys who were in the clique often missed important meetings or site inspections 'because he is off work sick', and never seemed to lose the respect of the bosses.

......... such is life.

I've had a few bad colds, possibly flu, but I never had a day off work for illness over 45 years in my career.

I was hospitalised when I was shot in Nigeria, and I have taken the odd day off to attend 'an uncle's funeral', but that's all.

What amazed me was how guys who were in the clique often missed important meetings or site inspections 'because he is off work sick', and never seemed to lose the respect of the bosses.

......... such is life.

Had a day off just because you were shot. Bloomin whimp biggrin.png

Tim

Ah chicken soup the jewish mothers' cure-all.

We avoid contact with small children.

In among all the varied advice remember to consider what regular medications you are taking and the interaction of those with the medications you take. I'm thinking particularly about mixing beta-blockers and benylin, I know the danger from a personal error, not a nice experience.

• Greenie 1

Ah chicken soup the jewish mothers' cure-all.

We avoid contact with small children.

In among all the varied advice remember to consider what regular medications you are taking and the interaction of those with the medications you take. I'm thinking particularly about mixing beta-blockers and benylin, I know the danger from a personal error, not a nice experience.

Good website here for checking interactions - https://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=1989-0,846-8184