Fixing flue to roof collar

Featured Posts

Depending on the width of the gap it's generally fire rope and high temp silicone above to stop any rain or tar from the chimney getting in. If you used cement it wouldn't stay there for long and you'd probably find bits on your stove top every day.

There are much better silicone based products these days rather than using fire cement at the bottom where the flue fits into the stove. It's more flexible, doesn't crack or crumble and can withstand similar temperatures (1200C).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1200-C-Fireproof-Silicone-Sealant-Envirograf-Stoves-Fireplaces-Woodburners-/400744442187

Edited by blackrose

There are much better silicone based products these days rather than using fire cement at the bottom where the flue fits into the stove. It's more flexible, doesn't crack or crumble and can withstand similar temperatures (1200C).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1200-C-Fireproof-Silicone-Sealant-Envirograf-Stoves-Fireplaces-Woodburners-/400744442187

I use rope and this stuff in the collar between the stove top and flue, but you should be aware that it smokes like mad the first time it gets heated up, so light the stove and get the hell out of there for a while - all windows and doors open!! Probably a job best done in warmer times.

I use rope and Plumba sealant between the flue and roof collar as it doesn't get as hot up there.

Not used fire cement in the 5 years since buying the boat - the stuff that was used before i got the boat had cracked and crumbled, so sealant is obviously the way to go.

Edited by Richard10002

I wouldn't waste money on that expensive high temp silicone, all these tubes of silicone are fire proof. A £2 tube of ordinary clear silicone will do the job at the top collar just the same.

All which tubes of silicone are fire proof? That's just not true.

Plumba flue isn't that expensive - about 6 quid a tube. Even a decent brand of ordinary silicone isn't going to be much cheaper. I've bought 2 quid tubes of ordinary silicone before and it's crap. So why spoil the ship...? Unless you're a real miser... You can bodge what you want on your own boat, but personally I use the correct materials for the job.

Anyway, what do you use to seal the flue/stove junction? Surely you're not going to tell us you use £2 silicone? I suspect you use fire cement at the bottom and your £2 silicone at the top, in which case that's not going to be much cheaper than buying a single tube of Envirograf and using the same tube for both.

Edited by blackrose