Torrefied biomass fuel

mross

Featured Posts

We burn that sort of product on the wood-burner at home. Very good and ekes out the proper logs well if we add one or two to the stove. They're also tidy to store. Aldi had some as a special, about £2.99 for a bag of eight: hugely over-packaged but quite good. My favourite are "Hotties" which we buy from a farm supplier. About £5 for ten but they last longer than the Aldi ones. Lots of places sell them.

Not obvious that for the domestic user there's a huge benefit to torrefied logs. Better storage characteristics (damp-resistance & volume) and higher burning temperature than "conventional" heat logs. Probably more expensive. From the environmental viewpoint, they can use biomass that isn't wood-based but the short-term carbon emissions are higher due to the use of VOCs etc for process heat. I'd be interested in practical experience, there's not much on the interwibbly other than advertising bumff and a few reports looking at the more industrial scale opportunities.

Thanks for raising the question: some interesting reading came out of it. Are you thinking of using them as a replacement for wood or coal?

Thanks for raising the question: some interesting reading came out of it. Are you thinking of using them as a replacement for wood or coal?

more for a quick heat boost or to get a cold stove hot and drawing quickly. I think they would be too expensive for regular use and I don't think the fire would last overnight. But I will revert if I manage to get hold of some! I'm still trying all different kinds of MSF.