Engine installation

Squelchy

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am in need of a bit of advice, we have put in an offer on a 12 year old 72 foot measham boats trad narrow boat (subject to survey) it needs the engine installing, now I've searched hi and low for info about the engine it's a Isuzu 38. It needs a few bits replacing as the current owners never got it plumbed in but also had another boat with the same engine so have removed a few bits to use on the other boat which they have now sold. It needs a fuel spill rail, alternator, flexible shaft coupling, battery and all piping and fittings. My first question is anything other than checking it's not seased I should be looking for on this engine? I have checked I can get the needed parts and as an engineer I'm happy to fit it. Any wisdom that you pass on would be appreciated as this would be the first diesel engine install I've done

That's quite a lot of unknowns. I think it would be a good idea to get a copy of the Boat Safety literature first just to see what you need to do regarding pipework and other stuff or you could be wasting time and money.

I am not an authority on engines, but based on my own experience with boats,cars and bikes, it might be an idea to do the minimum to get the engine up and running and making sure it runs OK etc, before spending on the other things that it can be run without. That way you will know if it is worth the candle or not. edit: we have cross posted, i now see it is a new engine so probably not necessary.

Japanese based engines can be horrendously expensive on spares, and it pays to shop around for stuff elsewhere other than "marine" based or "isuzu" based or whatever. An example: I paid 160 quid for a set of glowplugs last year on the canal, but got another set from a local truck supplies for 27 quid. Not crap ones either but NGK.

Edit: as pointed out by Chewbacka and others, it is important that all components comply with the boat safety rules.

Edited by Guest

Check the exact length- if it really is 72', it's longer than most working boats (which tend to be 71'6" maximum) and having a 72' boat myself it is harder work in places, such as around Birmingham.

Ey? Find brum one of the best places if im honest

I have an Isuzu 42hp in a 50ft boat which is about right for rivers. Could be a bit marginal on rivers in a 72ft boat. Remember that 42(or 38) is the engine manufacturers max hp at 3,000rpm .Marine units are restricted to 2,000rpm.Actual hp is probably more like 25hp. HPI Ltd ,who produced the Isuzu marine engines,did not list a 38hp engine. The 4L.35 was 1490cc,the4L.42 w3as1732cc.

That's quite a lot of unknowns. I think it would be a good idea to get a copy of the Boat Safety literature first just to see what you need to do regarding pipework and other stuff or you could be wasting time and money.

This is very good advice, as for example the original engine (as from Japan) probably had a plastic spill rail which the mariniser would have replaced with metal as per the BSS requirements. There are also restrictions on fuel hoses etc, none of this may be understood by your local Isuzu truck dealer etc. so whilst you may get genuine Isuzu parts they may not be compliant with the boating rules.

You can find the BSS check list here http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/

This is very good advice, as for example the original engine (as from Japan) probably had a plastic spill rail which the mariniser would have replaced with metal as per the BSS requirements. There are also restrictions on fuel hoses etc, none of this may be understood by your local Isuzu truck dealer etc. so whilst you may get genuine Isuzu parts they may not be compliant with the boating rules.

You can find the BSS check list here http://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/

A very good point. I have amended my post accordingly.

Yes,Beta(Kubota based) are rated at 2800 RPM continuous .

CT

Yeah, I'm familiar with that CT, and those revs are available when needed (depending on propping, of course).

My question was about Nebulae's statement that all marinised Isuzu are restricted to 2000 rpm when max OP is at 3000rpm. That just seems odd, doesn't it?

Yeah, I'm familiar with that CT, and those revs are available when needed (depending on propping, of course).

My question was about Nebulae's statement that all marinised Isuzu are restricted to 2000 rpm when max OP is at 3000rpm. That just seems odd, doesn't it?

Yes,it does seem a tad low for a modern Diesel,even the older Direct Injection Fords and Perkins peaked at 2300 odd

CT

Sounds about right,don't really know Isuzu's that well,just looked up specs for a 40 BHP version and it is rated at 2440 for peak power

CT

So then they restrict marinised Isuzu engines to 2000 rpm? Surely not? I don't think I'd buy an engine deliberately restricted by the mariniser to rev below its max power and torque - that would suggest to me the wrong base engine choice. In the absence of any corroborating comments from an Isuzu owner, I think we'd have to assume that Nebulae's post is incorrect in that assertion.

The figures quoted in the HMI literature are the engine manufacturers data sheets,not the performance of the marinised units.Obviously,there may be some disparity in the setting of engine rev. meters. Unless the meter is cross checked against a test meter,you can not be sure of the accuracy of the electronic unit. I can confirm that my 4L.42 unit will not pull more than 2,000rpm on factory setting.. I checked with H.M.I.who confirmed that this is correct. Obviously the engine is capable of running at a sustained 3,000rpm(as in the spec sheets) in an industrial unit. There are many Isuzus fitted to hire boats. I would be interested to hear whether any of these will pull at over 2,000rpm?