Need advice

Maz140

Featured Posts

Hi I am new to boating and bought a 40 foot narrowboat a month ago. I had a survey done which showed it needed a few jobs such as blackening, new anodes, new rubbing strips. The boat was taken to a marina workshop to have the work done, I received a phone call Monday from the marina to say the work had been done and the boat went in the water Monday. I received another call this morning to say the boat had been found listing with a foot of water inside, I went to see the boat straight away and found the furnishings inside all waterlogged such as the bed, settee, carpets etc. I was told it was just one of them things and that the welder must have gone through a pitting underneath and not realised. The Marina said they will sort it out but what things do I have to look out for, any advice greatly appreciated.

Very hard to know, and not something which has happened to me.

Obviously its a great shame that the Marina did not check the boat sooner, had they checked after a few hours they could likely have spotted the slow leak before any real damage occurred. I am surprised this one not done, if the work included anything which might risk a leak forming.

I presume the anodes are under the waterline, and welded on. Where any of the rubbing strips below the waterline?

Neither of these items on a modern boat with typically 6mm would involve a weld getting anywhere near risking compromise to the ability to hold water, however if the sides are thinner or significantly pitted then the risk increased.

What was the recorded thickness of the sides, and condition of the hull in general?

Sounds like in saying they will 'sort it out' they have accepted the blame for not checking it, and are planning to put it back to rights for you. At which point you are just after a list of key things to check? Or are they just saying they will pump it out and leave you to access damage?

Depending on how long its been other, their could be significant damage to any man-made board on the boat, sheet flooring, kitchen units, the sofa, etc etc. If the leak formed fairly fast and only in the last day or so, it could be much less major.

Other things to look out for is damage to things like the engine, fridge, water pump, anything which has been under that wont like it! It is also worth having the converstation about where you stand in terms of finding water-damage in the future, after the intial settlement.

Daniel

1st thing I would do is call your surveyor and get them back to look at the boat again FOC. They may not want to do this, but reputation and trustworthiness go a long way on the canals - so do reports of shoddy and poorly done work ....and surveys.

As Dan says above, a lot may need complete replacement, at the least the marine should stick it on a power lead and install dehumidifiers and heaters at this time of year to stop further damage and rot.

Anything electrical that has been underwater should be replaced.

Speak to your insurance company for advice, however, not to claim, the yard is at fault.

The boat apparently was found listed yesterday but the marina only rang this morning to tell me after they had already took the boat out of the water and had pumped the water out. They have humidifiers on already. The welder had already removed the metal he had welded onto the rubbing strip when we got there.The marina rang the surveyor who came out again, he said he will inspect it when the work is done and before it goes back into the water.

• Greenie 2

I have to say, while its obviously not what you would want to happen, it looks like they are doing everything they should be doing in order to get this sorted out for you so that is really positive.

As said, in this weather I think I would be dumping a few heaters in as well as the dehumidifiers just to increase the rate of drying futher, but I am not an expert and this may not help much.

Having the survayoer on site inspecting before and after is the right call, and as said, you want to get any key agreements in writing, not for lack of trust per say, but clarity for both sides moving fowards.

Daniel

I would be sorely tempted to have another surveyor in... Either he was wrong during the survey or the yard were in their explanation, and unless you get an unconnected, impartial person to survey prior to refloating, will you ever really know the truth?

I would also ensure that whoever is at fault makes good all of the internal damage and replacement of things like soft furnishings-not just that they refloat you and shrug it off.

The surveyor said it was an area he couldn't see when it was lifted out of the water and put on a trailer to inspect. I am concerned about the boat drying out and the insulation drying out. Also it listed onto the side the settee cooker fridge bathroom and bedroom was so these were all in water ..........

I hate to say this, i bought a boat that had water damage due to a failed sea cock on the raw water cooling pick up, but it didnt bother me as my intention was a full refit anyway, i moved it back home as it was as it had been thouroughly dried out , but the musty smell would never go ... when i go to the refit and took the floor up there was still water under there and the sub floor itself was sodden as it had a plastic membrane under trapping moisture ... also all the metal parts ad wiring were totally unuseable as they develped rust (metal parts such as the fridge, cooker rads etc.)

In my case it was a complete refit from the bare shell even renewed the insulation as it was polystyrene and water damaged and pressure washed the ballast bricks as they were covered in gungy water ... so if there is any kind of smell it certainly isnt going to get any better! .... also make sure the floor is solid and try and find out what the floor is made from, my sub floor was chipboard so came out like soggy weetabix!

Best of luck

Rick

Even after the boat goes back in the water I would stay on the boat for a few days to make sure there is not a another leak somewhere that nobody knows about.

Did you have a bilge pump?

Or did it run the battery flat

Edited by johnnie1uk

Why am I not surprised to hear of yet another "marina" creating a bigger problem than they were entrusted to repair. As an aside issue, maybe we should start to list ( for obvious reasons) the ones we can trust. Ooh, I have an idea, we could call it " Trust a Marina.com "

Personally I would get the insurance company involved otherwise there's a risk that all those responsible for this debacle are going to try and a) avoid admitting liability and b ) do the minimum necessary to get the boat back in shape.

The surveyors cop-out is a classic reason for not using a surveyor isn't it. Except that the insurance company might well go after him if he can't back up his excuse.

As others have said, you can't underestimate the effort and time it takes to completely dry out and fix a flooded narrowboat.

Why am I not surprised to hear of yet another "marina" creating a bigger problem than they were entrusted to repair. As an aside issue, maybe we should start to list ( for obvious reasons) the ones we can trust. Ooh, I have an idea, we could call it " Trust a Marina.com "

There was a case some months ago regarding a boat that had been lifted out for blacking, (it was discussed in some 'depth' on this very forum).

Precis :

The boat yard jet washed the boat, blacked it, put it back in the water and it sank. From memory they refused to admit liability that they had 'put holes' in the bottom.

There was a case some months ago regarding a boat that had been lifted out for blacking, (it was discussed in some 'depth' on this very forum).

Precis : The boat yard jet washed the boat, blacked it, put it back in the water and it sank. From memory they refused to admit liability that they had 'put holes' in the bottom.

Yes, there was a case as you describe, which while not all the detail was debated, appeared to stem from repeated poor coverage of the blacking, perhaps with some galvanic corrosion, as well as not enough being made of the depth of the pits which has been forming.

I am not sure what the outcome was in the end. as I recall, that boat sunk fully.

Daniel