Not moving enough to satisfy CRT

Dave Payne

Featured Posts

This thread is not about my moving habits, I move plenty.

But, on my travels I see the same boats in the same area all the time, some may move a little but but always seem to return to said spot.

Two grp cruisers are sat on the end of the ashby/marston lane junction, last time I was here they were on the Coventry not 50 meters from the junction, another grp was at hawksebury for weeks and had moved to the stretch just short of charity dock last time I went past but I bet when I go down there in a week it will still be there!

Another old tired looking boat has appeared on the actual junction at Marston lane and has a notice attached.

I do wonder if the owners are actually aware of the rules and just choose to ignore or simply do not know, either way its not going to end well I reckon.

Can CRT do more to educate people, let's say you buy a boat and don't reads the terms of your licence, I didn't, but I read the rules from here, how about if you dont come on here or use the internet, how do you know you need to be moving every two weeks.

This is not supposed to.come across as a moan about boaters I mentioned, I'm not that fussed they sit in the same spot, or is a moan about the mooring/moving rules.

Can CRT do more to educate people?

I wonder if some of these boats (and I saw the ones at Marston Jct. this summer) are abandoned, or if perhaps their owners are in hospital, or homes, or prison, or somewhere which prevents them from attending to their craft. There's little point in attaching a notice to a boat if the owner never sees it.

The two grp's are visited every day by two old chaps, they work on them daily and were here today.

The one dumped on the junction could well be owned by someone not able to get the boat and see the notice I guess, but would they not have registered an address or email with CRT.

In the case of the two grp's, surely the local logger would walk past, see them still there and log, but do the loggers ever go over for a chat, tell them.the rules and what will happen if they don't move, or simply just log and move on.

In the case of the two grp's, surely the local logger would walk past, see them still there and log, but do the loggers ever go over for a chat, tell them.the rules and what will happen if they don't move, or simply just log and move on.

Perhaps the "loggers" ( you make them sound like lumberjacks) do indeed chat to old chaps, who have told them that they are awaiting engine parts or similar. I knew a persuasive chap on the Ashby who stayed on the moorings at Carlton for weeks on end, awaiting what must have been remarkably elusive engine parts. The local CART inspector knew all about him.

If they're the same two that were there when I was there in the summer, aren't they on the offside on a field? While they look pretty run down, surely they may be legitimate EOG moorings? I didn't notice if they had any licences attached.

I think that Dave is referring to the ones on the shortish strip of towpath moorings just on the Nuneaton side of Marston Junction.

If they're the same two that were there when I was there in the summer, aren't they on the offside on a field? While they look pretty run down, surely they may be legitimate EOG moorings? I didn't notice if they had any licences attached.

They tend to move from there to the Coventry towpath, not sure who actually owns that bit on the ashby just past the bridge, see lots of boats more up there from time to time.

There are several boats in and around Nantwich which have barely moved for over a year, more in some cases. It seems to me that if you are prepared to brazen it out you can get away with it almost indefinitely. If things do get close to having your boat removed you just move a mile or so and it starts all over again. Meanwhile you can move back to where you were before.

If I turned up on a council car park or in a layby near your house in a converted van which I was living on, I doubt I would last a week, especially if uninsured or with no MOT. Why is it so different on the canals?

• Greenie 1

I do meet people who genuinely seem to have no clue about the rules. Others who claim that the "rules" are bulldroppings & unenforceable.

Last year, whenever I passed a particular VM, the same boat was always there or very nearby. Then one time, I imagined the owner looking out his window, thinking "every time I moor here, that grey boat comes past"

They are probably under enforcement but its not a quick process to get them removed from the water, i seem to remember EO's are not allowed to speak to overstayers for fear of conflict.

Well last year we overheard one EO on the K&A giving a right ear bashing to the owner of a Dutch Barge that had clearly overstayed and this officer was clearly in no fear of conflict. Good on him, we thought.

I do meet people who genuinely seem to have no clue about the rules. Others who claim that the "rules" are bulldroppings & unenforceable.

Last year, whenever I passed a particular VM, the same boat was always there or very nearby. Then one time, I imagined the owner looking out his window, thinking "every time I moor here, that grey boat comes past"

I'm beginning to think this is pretty widespread these days. I'm continually astonished at how little new boat owners know about the basics of the BSS, licencing and insurance. Others clearly have grown a thick skin or have just given up. There's a couple of boats I reported last year which seemed to be permanently moored on the towpath, neither displaying a licence or boat ID. Of course we don't know what grief CRT might be giving them but the boats are still there.

There's a couple of boats I reported last year which seemed to be permanently moored on the towpath, neither displaying a licence or boat ID. Of course we don't know what grief CRT might be giving them but the boats are still there.

I see boats like this too. I get the feeling that nothing is being done about them, and this is a future way for the freeloaders. Delete all ID from your boat and suddenly you don't need a licence or stick to the 14 day rule. Just move about from time to time and CRT don't have the manpower or interest to keep searching you out.

I see boats like this too. I get the feeling that nothing is being done about them, and this is a future way for the freeloaders. Delete all ID from your boat and suddenly you don't need a licence or stick to the 14 day rule. Just move about from time to time and CRT don't have the manpower or interest to keep searching you out.

I expect this is often a fact of life that goes wider than CaRT.

CaRT will usually go for the softer cases, this might be a decision from on high to get the maximum boats removed for the minimum effort and spend, or maybe just a more local decision to avoid the effort of difficult cases. I expect if I overstayed significantly then I would get a section 8 before long, but a low value unidentified plastic boat, probably with no up to date contact details for the owner and an owner who is unlikely to pay any costs...is it really worth the time and effort to take any action?

I suspect we have to learn to live with a few of these boats, they sink before long anyway.

I get more concerned about the militant overstayers who deliberately squat prime moorings just to pick a fight with CaRT and intend to use every bit of our expensive legal system to frustrate CaRTs efforts to remove them.

...............Dave

A couple of years ago we knew of a boat that had been on a 48hrs visitor mooring ( only room for 4 boats anyway) for 2 years . How , did we know , well we knew the owner and she told us . In fact at the time she was renting it out to a friend who happened to have a broken leg, so she couldn't move anyway . We did ask the local crt lengths man, he said ' there are some battles you just dont pick ' ' and if you quote me I will deny I said it ' ..... don't blame him really . She could still be there for all we know, never used to move far anyway . Even bought a travellers type van which to live part time and that was parked in a local car park until it was taken away . Bunny .

Gosh. In all this thread someone who is prepared to ask questions rather than simply make assumptions and have a good old moan.

Greenie my man.

They tend to move from there to the Coventry towpath, not sure who actually owns that bit on the ashby just past the bridge, see lots of boats more up there from time to time.

then it seems they may have a mooring, does that answer your original question?

No. The original question was do people understand the rules, and if not can crt do more to educate people.

They were used as an example.

I asked the question and boaters are sent texts; emails; letters when they overstay; there are approximately 80 Reasonable Adjustments in place across the network, so it is possible they are covered by this?

I asked the question and boaters are sent texts; emails; letters when they overstay; there are approximately 80 Reasonable Adjustments in place across the network, so it is possible they are covered by this?

does this cover people buying a boat for the first time?

This thread is not about my moving habits, I move plenty.

But, on my travels I see the same boats in the same area all the time, some may move a little but but always seem to return to said spot.

Two grp cruisers are sat on the end of the ashby/marston lane junction, last time I was here they were on the Coventry not 50 meters from the junction, another grp was at hawksebury for weeks and had moved to the stretch just short of charity dock last time I went past but I bet when I go down there in a week it will still be there!

Another old tired looking boat has appeared on the actual junction at Marston lane and has a notice attached.

I do wonder if the owners are actually aware of the rules and just choose to ignore or simply do not know, either way its not going to end well I reckon.

Can CRT do more to educate people, let's say you buy a boat and don't reads the terms of your licence, I didn't, but I read the rules from here, how about if you dont come on here or use the internet, how do you know you need to be moving every two weeks.

This is not supposed to.come across as a moan about boaters I mentioned, I'm not that fussed they sit in the same spot, or is a moan about the mooring/moving rules.

Can CRT do more to educate people?

The answer is probably not.

But we can change our minds from that of immediate distrust.

I used to pass a boat at the other end of the cov canal and wonder why it always seemed to be in the same place and neglected. Then when i met the owners and found they were elderly and needed hospital treatment on a regular basis it changed my view. When i now pass the boat I wonder how they're doing.

Havent seen them on it, otherwise I'd stop and ask them

• Greenie 2

I think you will find that almost everyone understands the T&Cs of their licence and a very small percentage who claim ignorance. We broke down recently, I informed c&RT and they were fine about it. in fact, the Enforcement Manager thanked me for getting in touch early in the breakdown and letting him know. IMO thats how its supposed to work. And yes we did end up being 18 days on a 14 day mooring but with permission. I'm fairly sure some of the locals and local marina dwellers probably thought we were taking the pee. Dead giveaway when someone says "still here?"

• Greenie 3