LH150 gearbox repair

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Engineer came and took my gearbox away a week ago - the reverse band mechanism is bust and there is a probablity that the bearing's knackered. I don't like to nag busy people on the basis that the more you do the more time they have to spend answering daft questions and less to actually do the work, but how long should I wait before sending a polite text asking if he has any idea as to when it'll come back? And how much I'll have to remortgage the house for so i can pay him... I'm probably going to punch the next person who tells me Listers are wonderful engines and go on for ever...

Engineer came and took my gearbox away a week ago - the reverse band mechanism is bust and there is a probablity that the bearing's knackered. I don't like to nag busy people on the basis that the more you do the more time they have to spend answering daft questions and less to actually do the work, but how long should I wait before sending a polite text asking if he has any idea as to when it'll come back? And how much I'll have to remortgage the house for so i can pay him... I'm probably going to punch the next person who tells me Listers are wonderful engines and go on for ever...

Do you have a problem with you engine too ?

Peter.

I think you can send a text any old time, they're not quite so immediate as a phone where you just have to stop everything to answer it. Know how you feel about punching people though, it's a bit like 'Diesels go on forever' Oh no they don't.

Do you have a problem with you engine too ?

Peter.

Well, the gearbox is attached to the engine... I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago, then the gearbox failed for the first time (clutch or whatever Lister uses for one), and now it's failed again (reverse mechanism this time). Assuming this repair costs round about the same as the last one, that'll be about six grand I've spent on it in the past five year. Add in the cost of replating the boat and I could have bought a newish boat for what I've spent recently.

But there again, I'm used to it, I fitted it out so it suits me and it cost me hardly anything for the first twenty years I had it. It's only money...

Well, the gearbox is attached to the engine... I had the engine rebuilt a few years ago, then the gearbox failed for the first time (clutch or whatever Lister uses for one), and now it's failed again (reverse mechanism this time). Assuming this repair costs round about the same as the last one, that'll be about six grand I've spent on it in the past five year. Add in the cost of replating the boat and I could have bought a newish boat for what I've spent recently.

But there again, I'm used to it, I fitted it out so it suits me and it cost me hardly anything for the first twenty years I had it. It's only money...

That sounds like an awful lot of money, too bad you never know in advance how long any mecanical part will last, gearboxes and even crankshaft can have their lives drastically shortened if you hit something hard with your prop, and worse when it blocks the prop.

It's surely too late now, if not with some adaptation you could have replaced the gearbox with a PRM, that would have been cheaper, but talking about what you could have done doesn't get your gearbox back any quicker.

If I were you I would sent an SMS to ask when you'll get it back, as if you don't show them that you want it back rapidly, maybe other broken down boaters that do send SMS will get priority.

Good luck,

Peter.

I'll text him today. I don't live on, so there's no panic, but he's got to bring it across the pennines so best before he gets snowed in.

As i said, it's cost me a bomb over the last few years, but before that I had over twenty years of trouble free so I can't really complain.

I'll text him today. I don't live on, so there's no panic, but he's got to bring it across the pennines so best before he gets snowed in.

As i said, it's cost me a bomb over the last few years, but before that I had over twenty years of trouble free so I can't really complain.

Right, devided over 20 years it's not all that much really, some aren't as lucky as you've been in these 20 years (repair cost wise), and others have been going for much longer with a lot less that needed to be repaired.

Peter.

• 6 months later...