Leaky joint

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

There's a pipe that runs from just behind the fuel filter that returns the unused diesel back to the tank - it's a bit hard to explain, but where it joins the main fuel lines it's started to leak a little. There's no drip, and I can't see any evidence that it is dripping when the engine's running, it's more of a weep - if you run your finger under the joint you get a very small smear of diesel. Question is, does this matter or is it to be expected with an ancient Lister? The joint is sealed with two steel washers - an engineer friend has suggested replacing one at least with a copper one that will crush to make a proper seal. Previously it's been two steel washers, and at some point one has been fabric.

There's a pipe that runs from just behind the fuel filter that returns the unused diesel back to the tank - it's a bit hard to explain, but where it joins the main fuel lines it's started to leak a little. There's no drip, and I can't see any evidence that it is dripping when the engine's running, it's more of a weep - if you run your finger under the joint you get a very small smear of diesel. Question is, does this matter or is it to be expected with an ancient Lister? The joint is sealed with two steel washers - an engineer friend has suggested replacing one at least with a copper one that will crush to make a proper seal. Previously it's been two steel washers, and at some point one has been fabric.

The steel washers may actually be Dowty washers - steel washers with rubber inserts around the inside diameter. My experience is that these seal well - better then soft copper washers.

MP.

MtB quenching saves time. It does not matter but why do you say the opposite? Please do some research.

If you have researched the subject of anealing copper may I suggest you do a little more sesearch then check your initial results.

Edit to make sence.

Edited by Taslim

I always thought that quenching causes the metal to harden, rather than anneal it to make it more soft and remove work-hardening. I believe this is often misunderstood and the suggestion to quench it does in fact make it harder. The same happens for steel, as any blacksmith will tell you (or at least, the one I worked for many years ago did).

Annealing is carried out by controlled cooling. Sitting at room temperature works for many situations, but cooling can be extended by putting the item into a sand bucket. Glass manufacturers go to great lengths to cool newly formed sheets in a controlled way by passing the glass through lower temperature ovens.

Copper and steel behave in different ways. The cooling rate does not matter for copper I have annealed copper washers many times. Quenching will also remove any scale that forms from the heating. As soon as the copper is glowing red the metal is softened, Now, if you are holding red hot pieces of metal on a bit of wire it's safest to cool them quickly.to avoid burning yourself or your worktop.

• Greenie 1

The steel washers may actually be Dowty washers - steel washers with rubber inserts around the inside diameter. My experience is that these seal well - better then soft copper washers.

MP.

Can dowty washers be used on banjo bolts ?

I had problems getting the diesel spill rail on my BMC 1.5 to seal using copper washers even when using annealed and new washers.

I think this was partly due to being apprehensive about how much to tighten the bolts.

I doubt if you can get Dowty washers slim enough. The head of a banjo bolt does not have a very wide face. Have you tried red, fibre washers?

Depends on the banjo bolt. We have used Dowty washers very successfully on all the ones on our JP3.

Mike, I apologise. But you flat-out contradicted me when my advice was correct and I thought it rude. It might have been better if you had explained why you disagreed with me. Let's not fall out over this as I enjoy your posts and wit. I posted in anger which is never a good idea. I guess I am too defensive at times.

• Greenie 1

Mike, I apologise. But you flat-out contradicted me when my advice was correct and I thought it rude. It might have been better if you had explained why you disagreed with me. Let's not fall out over this as I enjoy your posts and wit. I posted in anger which is never a good idea. I guess I am too defensive at times.

My apologies back. I posted in irritation too!

Yes let's not fall out over it. Greenied.