Bow Fenders

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

Doh! ..... I did get confuddled.

My first Land Rover was a Freelander, the year they came out. It was so awful I promptly dumped it in favour of an ex military Series 3. I enjoyed that so much I had another with a canvas tilt.

Just so we stay on topic, neither had fenders but they all had tyres.

Not quite, If you could buy a fender off the shelf that had the absorbency of rope and the wear resistance of a tyre it would be ideal, the next best thing is to buy a rope one and then attach a lump of tyre (something I have yet to do successfully so I just keep wearing them out

Easiest is a go-kart tyre, as no wires inside and easily cut with a Stanley knife. Cut round between sidewall and tread on both sides, then across the tread (bit of a misnomer, that, as they're usually smooth!). Drill holes for thin rope at ends of tread and tie to fender. May need a couple of slots cut on top for the top chains to go through.

It is a fender. Why do you need to fender your fenders?

If it wears out buy a new one!

Or stop running into things bow first.

It's not fendering the fender. It's modifying it to do its job better, allowing it to slide smoothly up a lock gate without catching.

P.S. So what's with the fender socks a lot of FG boats use?

It is a fender. Why do you need to fender your fenders?

If it wears out buy a new one!

Or stop running into things bow first.

Totally different to your type of boat. The tyre around the fender works very well when locking. A very old trick done by others for donkey's years on the cut.

It was done for at least 2 reasons #1 the tyre stopped the knotted rope fender getting caught up on poorly maintained lock structures protruding bolts bits of bent metal plate & before you say don't let the boat touch the cill/ top gate it's some times in fact most times not possible with a 70ft boat in a lock only designed to take a max dimension 70 ft boat. #2 Do you like to spend money when not necessary? If putting a piece of tyre that is not fit for it's proper task around a rope fender will extend the coir fenders lifespan I'm all for it. If your "hubbie & yourself are in work that pays well (good for you to enjoy your hobby & replace a fender that wears out quickly, your call ) when it was your job that didn't pay very well & in cases where you had to pay for replacements making kit last as long as possible would not be classed as silly. I didn't do any pleasure/leisure boating, my boating on the canal 1958/72 was spent load carrying or Hotel boating both of which meant I had to make a living at it As an example the last load I carried for BW was a 12/14 hr day 5 day round trip which payed £23 I had to buy my own engine lubricating oil around £1 10 shillings? a replacement fender at around 1963 cost between £7 to £10 dependent on if it was made from used or new rope. So extending it's length of life was a must. A fender question from me why have fenders dangling down the side when under way when the boat has 2 or more full length welded guard irons Each to his/her own

Spot on.

Easiest is a go-kart tyre, as no wires inside and easily cut with a Stanley knife. Cut round between sidewall and tread on both sides, then across the tread (bit of a misnomer, that, as they're usually smooth!). Drill holes for thin rope at ends of tread and tie to fender. May need a couple of slots cut on top for the top chains to go through.

It's not fendering the fender. It's modifying it to do its job better, allowing it to slide smoothly up a lock gate without catching.

Yep. that is my primary reason though a bonus is that the very expensive fender does last longer.

Edited by Guest

Why not just use the tyre and forego the rope fender altogether?

IMO a fender is there to do a job. If/when it needs replacing it gets replaced. Fendering fenders to make them last longer is IMO just plain silly.

Others may disagree.

The work of the devil.

Specifically designed to catch dirt and grit and then swing around scratching gel coat.

Usually only used by newbies who have yet to discover this rolleyes.gif

Others may disagree.

Where do you stop. Do you get a fender to protect your fenders, fender? After all it will wear out also.

Then do you get a fender to protect your fenders, fender, fender. Again that will also wear out.

Or do you just accept that a fender is there to do a job and when it has finished that job it is time to bin it and start afresh.

Despite what some would like to believe a fender is only there to do a job, it is a consumable item. Much like ropes. You don't buy fenders for those.

The work of the devil.

Specifically designed to catch dirt and grit and then swing around scratching gel coat.

Where do you stop. Do you get a fender to protect your fenders, fender? After all it will wear out also.

Then do you get a fender to protect your fenders, fender, fender. Again that will also wear out.

Or do you just accept that a fender is there to do a job and when it has finished that job it is time to bin it and start afresh.

Despite what some would like to believe a fender is only there to do a job, it is a consumable item. Much like ropes. You don't buy fenders for those.

It is some what obvious from your posts that you are set in your ways ( Fair do's ) you carry on doing things the way you do but to call people who do something differently "mod" an item to work better /last longer ( a fact that has been proved over the years) silly is not a positive way of getting your point across I know & accept that a fender is a consumable but a way to lengthen the time between renewals must be in my book positive not silly

It is some what obvious from your posts that you are set in your ways ( Fair do's ) you carry on doing things the way you do but to call people who do something differently "mod" an item to work better /last longer ( a fact that has been proved over the years) silly is not a positive way of getting your point across I know & accept that a fender is a consumable but a way to lengthen the time between renewals must be in my book positive not silly

Should I get some extra tyres fitted over the existing tyres on my car to make them last longer?

Should I get some extra tyres fitted over the existing tyres on my car to make them last longer?

Sorry with statements like that, I feel I can no longer post any thing to this forum that would be of use/helpful to this site. Best of luck, . Bye.

Sorry with statements like that, I feel I can no longer post any thing to this forum that would be of use/helpful to this site. Best of luck, . Bye.

It would, of course, be helpful if all posters acquainted themselves with a list of logical fallacies and specious arguments to avoid when posting biggrin.png. The forum would be a bit dull, though.

The trick is not to rise to the bait, Alan, and continue to enlighten us with your posts.

• Greenie 1

(snip)

I do take anti-chafing measures where necessary. Usually just a bit of cloth wrapped round the rope, but my centre ropes are wrapped in amalgamating tape where they pass through the fairleads, and the eye splices in towropes are often protected by a bit of plastic pipe.

Fenders for ropes! cheers.gif

I do take anti-chafing measures where necessary. Usually just a bit of cloth wrapped round the rope, but my centre ropes are wrapped in amalgamating tape where they pass through the fairleads, and the eye splices in towropes are often protected by a bit of plastic pipe.

Fenders for ropes! cheers.gif

I am coming to the conclusion that narrowboatists are just tight rolleyes.gif

Fenders for ropes, whatever next?

It's not you (or any of us); NC is (deliberately?) missing the point. I thought she'd got over that years ago.

• Greenie 2

I find Tupperware boats make fantastic side fenders...they don't even mark the blacking as you ram them into the piling....

I use a tyre exactly as mentioned...works a treat in all respects. Please don't criticise what you have no concept of Naughty Cal....

Cheers

Gareth

It's not you (or any of us); NC is (deliberately?) missing the point. I thought she'd got over that years ago.

Tenner says X Alan W doesn't bugger off.

I find Tupperware boats make fantastic side fenders...they don't even mark the blacking as you ram them into the piling....

I use a tyre exactly as mentioned...works a treat in all respects. Please don't criticise what you have no concept of Naughty Cal....

Cheers

Gareth

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

So why is it that narrowboatists always give these GRP side fenders such a wide berth? rolleyes.gif

The work of the devil.

Now you are being silly. A tyre over the rope bow fender lasts a long time, especially in the case of a holiday boat. If the tyre does start to look a bit thin, perhaps down to the legal tread limit, you cut that piece off and put another bit of tyre around it. Not that difficult is it? I have seen new fenders for sale on the cut with the tyre already fitted, and should I ever need another, would buy such a fender.

Then there is the aspect of efficiency; the fender works better with a tyre around it.

An added bonus is that the 150 quid or so saved on a new fender can be invested in Jack Daniels type of stock.

Also used tyres are an environmental hazard, and any way of re using them must surely be encouraged?

Win win.

Tenner says X Alan W doesn't bugger off.

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

So why is it that narrowboatists always give these GRP side fenders such a wide berth? rolleyes.gif

Speaking as an ex owner of wooden and GRP boats, I do it out of respect. Been through many locks in my tin boat with GRP ones, and if done properly no problem. I did knock a norman cruiser sideways towards Chester once when it came flying out of the junction by the Jolly Tar, the steerer looking behind him at the time. His yachting cap fell off his head, and some timber was damaged on the Norman, but the GRP looked OK. Thought I had rolled it at first, not a nice moment.

Now you are being silly. A tyre over the rope bow fender lasts a long time, especially in the case of a holiday boat. If the tyre does start to look a bit thin, perhaps down to the legal tread limit, you cut that piece off and put another bit of tyre around it. Not that difficult is it? I have seen new fenders for sale on the cut with the tyre already fitted, and should I ever need another, would buy such a fender.

Then there is the aspect of efficiency; the fender works better with a tyre around it.

An added bonus is that the 150 quid or so saved on a new fender can be invested in Jack Daniels type of stock.

Also used tyres are an environmental hazard, and any way of re using them must surely be encouraged?

Win win.

How so?

Perhaps because it stops the high pitched squeaking that the owners of Tupperware seem to emit whenever a proper boat comes close to them??

Not sure what you mean.

Narrowboatists tend to steer that far away that you can't hear what they are emitting.

ETA: A narrowboat is about as far from a proper boat as one can possibly get.

Edited by Naughty Cal

How so?

Not sure what you mean.

Narrowboatists tend to steer that far away that you can't hear what they are emitting.

ETA: A narrowboat is about as far from a proper boat as one can possibly get.

Told you all this last time!! In case you don't remember, and as others have said on this very thread, the boat runs up the lock gate much better, especially if the lock gates are dodgy. This can only be done in certain locks of course, and is dangerous in some.

Told you all this last time!! In case you don't remember, and as others have said on this very thread, the boat runs up the lock gate much better, especially if the lock gates are dodgy. This can only be done in certain locks of course, and is dangerous in some.

"23. (1) The master of any vessel approaching, entering, passing through or by or leaving any lock or movable bridge shall cause his vessel to be navigated at such speed and controlled in such manner as not to strike, imperil, damage, obstruct or run foul of the lock or movable bridge or any part thereof of any other vessel approaching, entering, passing through or by or leaving the lock or movable bridge."
You shouldn't be touching the gates according to this so your rope fender should last jut fine.

"23. (1) The master of any vessel approaching, entering, passing through or by or leaving any lock or movable bridge shall cause his vessel to be navigated at such speed and controlled in such manner as not to strike, imperil, damage, obstruct or run foul of the lock or movable bridge or any part thereof of any other vessel approaching, entering, passing through or by or leaving the lock or movable bridge."
You shouldn't be touching the gates according to this so your rope fender should last jut fine.

Might have to get me boat shortened a bit then...

I think you will find it is OK for the fender to touch but not the actual boat. I suspect this is why we have them. Of course the side of an NB (in a narrow lock) has no choice but to touch, as there is no room for side fenders where attempting to use fenders can be dangerous (think Hurleston etc.). Are we no longer allowed to use narrow locks ? (it doesn't specifically mention "gates" in the rule you quote.)

Edited by Guest

You obviously have no experience or concept of a long, say 70 foot narrowboat in a lock. I suggest you stop pontificating on things beyond your knowledge and understanding.

You obviously have no experience or concept of a long, say 70 foot narrowboat in a lock. I suggest you stop pontificating on things beyond your knowledge and understanding.

I take it neither do CRT or BW before them then if you are saying the Byelaw is wrong?

Might have to get me boat shortened a bit then...

I think you will find it is OK for the fender to touch but not the actual boat. I suspect this is why we have them. Of course the side of an NB (in a narrow lock) has no choice but to touch, as there is no room for side fenders where attempting to use fenders can be dangerous (think Hurleston etc.). Are we no longer allowed to use narrow locks ? (it doesn't specifically mention "gates" in the rule you quote.)

If you are going to get wedged in them, well probably best not to use them.

ETA On the use of fenders:

"6. Every vessel navigated on any canal shall have ready for immediate use proper fenders of suitable material and in good
condition and the master of such vessel shall use such fenders whenever there is a risk of the vessel striking against any other vessel or against any wall, lockgate, bridge or other thing."
What counts as a proper fender?
Is a tyre a proper fender?
Edited by Naughty Cal