LNER Boat Identification

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

Cannot see it being other than "Joel". Although "Scotia" was rescued from the Broken Cross flash, she was in terrible condition. The others are long gone as far as I know.

Joel and Scotia were the only two LNER motors in their canal maintenance fleet. Horseboat Maria (MS & L,Great Central, LNER,BW) was ok a couple of hours ago when I last looked.

Question I've asked before: what engine was fitted in Scotia?

The pictures at Linton were taken the day before Joel's epic run from Naburn to Torksey,72 miles in just over 13 hours which included a 45 minute wait for the tide near Keadby.

Bill

Joel and Scotia were the only two LNER motors in their canal maintenance fleet. Horseboat Maria (MS & L,Great Central, LNER,BW) was ok a couple of hours ago when I last looked.

Question I've asked before: what engine was fitted in Scotia?

The pictures at Linton were taken the day before Joel's epic run from Naburn to Torksey,72 miles in just over 13 hours which included a 45 minute wait for the tide near Keadby.

Bill

Thanks for the reply folks.

We had done a similar but not so long trip the day before doing Keadby to Naburn in the day, I still believe that it was the most miles covered by Fulbourne in a day under the current ownership. We had to wait at Trent Falls for the tide to turn, tied up to a BW derdger:

ouse-L.jpg

Tim

Thanks for the reply folks.

We had done a similar but not so long trip the day before doing Keadby to Naburn in the day, I still believe that it was the most miles covered by Fulbourne in a day under the current ownership. We had to wait at Trent Falls for the tide to turn, tied up to a BW derdger:

ouse-L.jpg

Tim

We dropped anchor there, a day or two before you. There was no BW dredger, but lying at anchor was Saltaire and Bath, breasted up . Those two had the luxury of a VHF set. We had to manage with a chart drawn on a fag packet by the lock keeper at Cromwell and later a very old Trent chart given to us by a kindly person when we called at West Stockwith . I was surprised to find the depth at low tide here was only about 3ft, several hundred yards from the nearest bank, in fact Bath had touched bottom a few times before letting go the anchor. We found the waves biggest off Goole docks, it was quite calm round the lighthouse at Trent Falls and shooting the rapids at Selby bridge was a lot less scary than expected. All in all a great trip and a big change from sludging along the Peak Forest at little more than 0mph.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

This Joel was motorised in 1927 fitted with a Kelvin 9HP Petrol Paraffin engine. the boat was in use almost daily until 1948 when it was recorded as "worn out" . Then replaced in August 1948 by the "New Joel", again with a Kelvin engine, this time a15HP Petrol F2. It is highly likely that the new boat (actually a horseboat conversion, as Pete says) was commenced during LNER ownership but was actually completed by British Waterways.

I think the 2 Joels were the only working/maintenance narrowboats to be fitted with Kelvin engines from new, it would be interesting to know the reasons for this. Was the 9HP supplied heavily discounted to the LNER in a failed attempt to break into the canal boat market? Kelvins had a near monopoly for Scottish motor fishing boats by the 1920s and a lot of the canal carriers were converting to motors by then.

One of Roger Lorenz's photos circa 1975.

gallery_6938_2_47532.jpg

Also in the picture:

Fore end of Josher Fern

Horseboat Maria, just after major re-building alongside Joel

Anderton boat Medic, sunk beyond the rowing boat

BCN dayboat ,with cabin conversion near the bridge.

Bingley Marine boat Irn Bru (yes, named after the fizzy pop!) built 1976,then owned by the chap that devised the "made from girders" advert

On the land:

Austin LD tower wagon ex Stockport Corporation ,near the bridge

Mini Countryman

Hunslet 20HP diesel Loco, left of the only tree atop the hill

GPO "Pilot" cable pulling winch , just above Fern's top plank

The shed on wheels was once Stalybridge Council's traffic census vehicle.

Next to the bridge are remains of the New Moss Colliery loading staithe last used circa 1933.

Note also the kink in the towpath caused in the late 60s by excessive tipping on the embankment on the right- BW sorted that out soon after this picture was taken

Date is 1978.