Stolen Boat

Mutts

Featured Posts

Has there been any recent updates into Chris & Graham's stolen boat from Mercia Marina?

I ask this as I've been going backwards and forwards to Arizona over the last few months, and haven't had much time to keep up with the forum.

The most disappointing thing is Chris and Graham only joining briefly while the boat was stolen.

A major search went on, both this forum and lots of social media platforms became engaged and both boats stolen in the same area were found quickly by forum members.

Since August, they havn't posted. I know they can't discuss legal matters if someone has been fingered for the crime, but at least they could come back and update us on the boats progress back to what it was before the theft or other interesting snippets.

sad.png

• Greenie 2

I don't know, Matty, but they may have been advised against saying anything in case it prejudices any case against the thief. Also, was there not a suspicion at the time that the thief was getting information about what searches etc were being done from reading CWDF. if that was true, I think in their shoes I would be reluctant to say very much on here too.

haggis

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

I don't know, Matty, but they may have been advised against saying anything in case it prejudices any case against the thief. Also, was there not a suspicion at the time that the thief was getting information about what searches etc were being done from reading CWDF. if that was true, I think in their shoes I would be reluctant to say very much on here too.

haggis

Course, they could still have contributed by discussing the virtues of an alternative to Elsan Blue, helping someone to fix their squeaky alternator belt or recommending a good pub, etc.

Course, they could still have contributed by discussing the virtues of an alternative to Elsan Blue, helping someone to fix their squeaky alternator belt or recommending a good pub, etc.

Or participate by giving tips and suggestions of what one could (should) do to prevent the chances of your boat being stolen.

It's not nice towards all the forum members that did all they could do at the time, to help finding their boat.

Peter.

If whatever happened has lead to a crown court hearing it could be months before they can talk

As I recall there was enough speculation and negativity interspersed with the good stuff to maybe put them off further engagement.

• Greenie 1

If whatever happened has lead to a crown court hearing it could be months before they can talk

As I recall there was enough speculation and negativity interspersed with the good stuff to maybe put them off further engagement.

It's not just on here, even the Mercia bush telegraph knows nothing. I think they've been told to keep totally schtum.

It's not just on here, even the Mercia bush telegraph knows nothing. I think they've been told to keep totally schtum.

Maybe as you say "schtum" about everything involving the theft of their boat, but nobody can forbid them to talk/write about other things, can they ?

Peter.

I think those having a niggle at the moment have had little experience of how the system staggers along in this country.

Regardless of it being Police, CPS or whatever. It can take so long to get something to court in order to answer a charge that it is common for them to instruct .... not ask .... request .... nor advise ...... they tell you not to discuss any detail of anything to anyone in case it helps the defence.

They may even frighten you by saying that if they lose the case and can trace anything back to something you said openly they may charge you for wasting their time.

So calm down everyone, they've had to put up with scrotes nicking their boat, now they have to put up with an under-funded, over-stretched system bumbling along making up its own rules dependant upon current pressures.

• Greenie 1

I think those having a niggle at the moment have had little experience of how the system staggers along in this country.

Regardless of it being Police, CPS or whatever. It can take so long to get something to court in order to answer a charge that it is common for them to instruct .... not ask .... request .... nor advise ...... they tell you not to discuss any detail of anything to anyone in case it helps the defence.

They may even frighten you by saying that if they lose the case and can trace anything back to something you said openly they may charge you for wasting their time.

So calm down everyone, they've had to put up with scrotes nicking their boat, now they have to put up with an under-funded, over-stretched system bumbling along making up its own rules dependant upon current pressures.

With all due respect

I wasn't having a niggle. Just asking the question of, has there been any updates recently?

Personally (in my opinion of course), I think it's turning into a bit of a poor show from Chris or Graham, that they (as far as I know) have not had or been in any contact with the forum that spent so much time and effort helping them out.

Perhaps Yank has heard from them?

I'm intrigued as to how you steal a narrowboat (I'm assuming it's a narrowboat). They're not the fastest get-away vehicles although I guess if the owner is away for any length of time, anyone at a particular marina could assume the owner has just gone away in their boat for some time, at which point it might be too late. Is the theft of narrowboats a rare occurrence? I did read on facebook about someone else who had a boat stolen but they got it back within a day or so.

Graham and Chris are extremely grateful for the remarkable efforts put in by so many, especially by members of this forum.

However, they have been instructed not to discuss it and requested the same of me. As I don't know much, that is easy for me.

Please rest assured that Graham and Chris are adamant about obtaining justice and are agitating to that end. For them, it did not stop at regaining possession of their boat and insurance paying to put things right. Their fight for justice, for that is what it is even though it sounds melodramatic, is proving difficult owing in part to police cutbacks and the fact that a fair and just legal system is also a slow one.

Graham and Chris are extremely grateful for the remarkable efforts put in by so many, especially by members of this forum.

However, they have been instructed not to discuss it and requested the same of me. As I don't know much, that is easy for me.

Please rest assured that Graham and Chris are adamant about obtaining justice and are agitating to that end. For them, it did not stop at regaining possession of their boat and insurance paying to put things right. Their fight for justice, for that is what it is even though it sounds melodramatic, is proving difficult owing in part to police cutbacks and the fact that a fair and just legal system is also a slow one.

How does that precude them from putting a bit back into a forum they were so active on, and that helped them so much, in their hour of need?

It's up to them whether they contribute to the forum or not, but all this 'legal reasons' stuff is rather silly in my view. The case is hardly gonna collapse because they tell someone they prefer XL to Taybrite because they get fewer clinkers. :D

How does that precude them from putting a bit back into a forum they were so active on, and that helped them so much, in their hour of need?

It's up to them whether they contribute to the forum or not, but all this 'legal reasons' stuff is rather silly in my view. The case is hardly gonna collapse because they tell someone they prefer XL to Taybrite because they get fewer clinkers. biggrin.png

I don't get clinkers with either!

It's up to them whether they contribute to the forum or not, but all this 'legal reasons' stuff is rather silly in my view. The case is hardly gonna collapse because they tell someone they prefer XL to Taybrite because they get fewer clinkers. biggrin.png

Not so sure about that!. There are a lot of boaters who do not engage in internet discussions about the price of diesel or what coal to use and that is fine. No one says they have to or even should. As far as I can gather, they were unaware of this forum until their boat was stolen and they were pointed in our direction and it was great to see how helpful everyone was and the efforts that many on here put into helping trace the boat. I think that Graham and Chris only contributed to the thread about their boat and even there, it was others who kept us updated. I don't think Chris and Graham are "forum people" and seldom, if ever read this forum. yes, there are folks out there who don't :-) . I am sure that when they are allowed to say anything they will come on here and tell us more but I very much doubt if they will take part in other aspects of the forum.

haggis

• Greenie 1