Bolinder Boating through locks

mykaskin

Featured Posts

Are there enough bollards /strapping posts left in the correct position lock side to enable a boater who knows/understands how to carry out this procedure ? or have BW /CRT removed them in their wisdom, as they seem to have done with the upstand on the single top gates on narrow locks to prevent boat strapping/gate closing

Are there enough bollards /strapping posts left in the correct position lock side to enable a boater who knows/understands how to carry out this procedure ? or have BW /CRT removed them in their wisdom, as they seem to have done with the upstand on the single top gates on narrow locks to prevent boat strapping/gate closing

There's still quite a few strapping posts left, and an undertaking from CRT to keep them and not do things like fit handrail upstands to them!

I went up the Stockton flight this year strapped to my friends boat, we had 3 ashore and one driving both boats. Worked very well and saved me some fuel.

'Strapping' refers to using a rope wrapped around bollards/gates to bring the boat to a halt.

'Strapping' refers to using a rope wrapped around bollards/gates to bring the boat to a halt.

Oh, not to the burly physique of the bloke doing it?

They made good time Mike, they were up top of Buckby before the closure.

Cracking pair of boats and a lovely couple.

But when I saw Dane, only a few months ago, she had a Lister engine. Has it been changed already? Or are there two old Danes?

Edited by Athy

They went from towing to two abreast (whilst on the move) as they went past my boat towards Bulls Bridge Tesco a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful manoeuvre, made it look effortless. Which it probably was to them! I love seeing those boats when they are down here (Brentford <-> Hayes).

Edited by wiltshirewonderer

The dane in this video is the one owned by the booth fam for 30 odd years, can't beleive I missed her going past but at the same time i cant bare to see her.

Engine was put in in 1929 and is her original from when converted from a butty (bath)

They went from towing to two abreast (whilst on the move) as they went past my boat towards Bulls Bridge Tesco a couple of weeks ago. Beautiful manoeuvre, made it look effortless. Which it probably was to them! I love seeing those boats when they are down here (Brentford <-> Hayes).

DANE is a very easy boat to do this with done it a few times you can put the tiller where you want and walk off and it will stay in that place make it very easy to do while single handed

Strapping works wonderfully... until you suddenly discover that a bollard you've been using for years isn't there anymore!

It's a great shame that the wooden posts which were placed in exactly the right position were never replaced when they rotted away.

I''d swop the engine for a more reliable BMC, that old engine sounds like it'll give up at any moment.

Ooooh, wotta stirrer! Bolinders are SUPPOSED to sound like that! I hear that, apart from sometimes reversing when you want them to go forward, which can surprise nearby moored boaters, they are quite reliable.

Ooooh, wotta stirrer! Bolinders are SUPPOSED to sound like that! I hear that, apart from sometimes reversing when you want them to go forward, which can surprise nearby moored boaters, they are quite reliable.

I know, they do sound lovely.

But I always think they are going to stop.

I know, they do sound lovely.

But I always think they are going to stop.

Yes, I suspected that you were 'avin' a larf. Oddly, if one listens to a Bolinder inside the engine room, its beat is perfectly regular.

Strapping works wonderfully... until you suddenly discover that a bollard you've been using for years isn't there anymore!

It's a great shame that the wooden posts which were placed in exactly the right position were never replaced when they rotted away.

Funny enough there is or at least was a bollard in Danes hold where we strapped to it boat carried on with bollard attached.

Are they a cracking pair of boats? Dane looks good. Are they doing anything exceptional?

Sorry, lost on me.

I''d swop the engine for a more reliable BMC, that old engine sounds like it'll give up at any moment.

You want to listen to a semi gardener or seffle on tickover over they sound like they will stop.

Unreliable?? I would love to see a bmc after 40 years of hard working years + the years of not so hard working and see if it's still as reliable. They do go wrong don't get me wrong but there victorian engendered so there built big bulky and simple although I don't think I'll be much good after that many years of working!

Edited by billybobbooth

It's funny one min everyone with a big enough check book wants bolinders the next min everyone would take them out (more of a statement for those who know what i mean)

I was havin a laff regards that bit.

I did see.

It's funny one min everyone with a big enough check book wants bolinders

I think they've always been a minority choice, even amongst people who prefer old-style engines. Compared with Gardners, Listers, RNs and such, Bolinders are seen as a Dark Art. One has to be a bit eccentric to own any vintage engine, but slightly mad to grapple with a Bolinder.