MISSING JACK RUSSELL, Sighted Dobsons Bridge Whixall, Whitchurch, Shropshir.

polly101

Featured Posts

Hope this is ok for me to post this, not my dog just trying to help owners.

MISSING BILLY, since 3rd November.

Jack Russell, Male, Long tail with white tip, no collar on but microchipped,

Lost whilst staying with friends in Cockshutt, Various sightings at Dobsons Bridge, Tilstock and Whitchurch.

REWARD FOR SAFE RETURN call 07892 359308 with any information.

May have been picked up thinking he was a stray as may have been looking a bit worse for wear.

http://www.doglost.co.uk/dog-blog.php?dogId=107180#.WCOPOvqLTIV

107180_a.jpg

Edited by polly101

Technically, it is a stray, particularly as it does not have a collar on! Dogs should have the full address of the owner on the collar, not just a post code or phone number - it's the law. I hope he's found.

One of the most common remarks when, for example, working through a lock, is some variation of "are you out for long?/how long have you been out?".

I tend to cruise for a couple of months at a time - the last thing I need is my (empty) home address advertised on my very friendly dog's collar. The tag was supplied by the kennel club but has only my name and phone number.

As the law now requires all dogs to be chipped, I think the address requirement is superfluous.

One of the most common remarks when, for example, working through a lock, is some variation of "are you out for long?/how long have you been out?".

I tend to cruise for a couple of months at a time - the last thing I need is my (empty) home address advertised on my very friendly dog's collar. The tag was supplied by the kennel club but has only my name and phone number.

As the law now requires all dogs to be chipped, I think the address requirement is superfluous.

Technically they should still have a collar and tag with the full details, however I don't think the law fully caught up with the newer law on microchips. But you are correct effectively the need for a collar and tag is superfulous if the dog is chipped and their details are up to date on the pet log data base.

Our dog is chipped and I must admit if I occasionally forget to replace his collar before I walk him I don't sweat about it too much if it's not immediately to hand.

Technically, it is a stray, particularly as it does not have a collar on! Dogs should have the full address of the owner on the collar, not just a post code or phone number - it's the law. I hope he's found.

When was the last prosecution of a dog owner for their dog (that was chipped) not having a collar fitted please?

I don't have the full home address on my dog's collar tag, just the postcode, 'microchipped' and our telephone numbers. On the reverse is 'Narrowboat xxxxxx'. A passer by might be able to return a collared dog fairly easily, but a collarless dog, chipped or not, is quite a different matter imho.

I'd certainly approach a collared stray, check for a tag and do what I could to help him home but, depending on the dog, maybe not one without a collar which might just be feral. Rightly or wrongly, no collar is very easily interpreted as no-one cares. Of course, things do happen - he could have wandered off before getting dressed on a morning! However, it's a law to keep your dog safe - why would any caring owner not comply?

I read a poster from one of the dog charities that pointed out that a post code would not help the public to return a stray to its home. I'm not a dog owner but planned to be. I ordered a dog tag and did not have my address on it, just a phone number. Sadly, my wife was allergic to the dog's dander and we had to return it. many laws are not enforced but it is a good idea to comply when you can.

• Greenie 2

I read a poster from one of the dog charities that pointed out that a post code would not help the public to return a stray to its home. I'm not a dog owner but planned to be. I ordered a dog tag and did not have my address on it, just a phone number. Sadly, my wife was allergic to the dog's dander and we had to return it. many laws are not enforced but it is a good idea to comply when you can.

You can locate any area of the U.K. Using the post code, just stick it into google or the Royal Mail web site.

Of course it's much better if you have a house number as well as this enables a much more precise and quicker location. Otherwise it's a case of knocking on a few doors (unless it's a very remote rural area perhaps).

We have had tags with just our house number and postcode before.

Sadly, my wife was allergic to the dog's dander and we had to return it.

CWDF is in educational mode today! Only 30 minutes ago, from another thread, I learned what a corvid was (after years of just dismissing them as crows), now I've learned that "dander" is a sort of animal dandruff. I had previously heard the word only with reference to losing one's temper, as in "that gets my dander up".

I read a poster from one of the dog charities that pointed out that a post code would not help the public to return a stray to its home.

Postcode and a house number will do it, certainly for the police or dog warden. I'm banking on anyone finding my dog in the vicinity of the Bull and Bladder, seeing a Plymouth postcode and a Narrowboat name on her dog-tag, might get the idea to head towards the cut!

What a disappointing outcome.

That's OK for people who carrry a smartphone and get a mobile signal. But why not give a proper address seeing as you admit that the address can be found online?

I am not sure what you mean by the use of the word 'admit'.

However I wasn't thinking that people would only have access to the Internet on their phone, there are other means I believe.

That's OK for people who carrry a smartphone and get a mobile signal. But why not give a proper address seeing as you admit that the address can be found online?

I gave what I think was a perfectly good reason for not giving an address in post no. 5.

I have read all the posts. My opinion is different from yours. Isn't the whole point of these forums an open-minded discussion? If I ever get a dog that does not give my wife allergies I think I would include my name and address but inside a cover that could not be read quickly such as a piece of paper rolled up inside a cylinder. I think you can buy these for medical alerts.

I have read all the posts. My opinion is different from yours. Isn't the whole point of these forums an open-minded discussion? If I ever get a dog that does not give my wife allergies I think I would include my name and address but inside a cover that could not be read quickly such as a piece of paper rolled up inside a cylinder. I think you can buy these for medical alerts.

You can get them for dog or cat details but

my experience has been that they unscrew and fall

apart .

There is also the issue of personal choice here. If somebody wants to simply display something that they feel is adequate then so be it. Yes it technically is not completely in line with the legislation which pre-dates the legal requirement to microchip but so what?

As I asked you earlier when was the last prosecution of the owner of a chipped dog who didn't display the full address on their dog tag? I cant find details of one and I presume you cannot either. Effectively it's 'non sequitur'.

​And for anybody who lives on a boat and has no home address or does have one which is hundreds of miles away from where they are what use is it anyway? And what do people who genuinely don't have a home address do?

I think there is a need for a bit of a reality check here. I don't know if frahkn does live aboard but for anybody who does it strikes me the boat name and mobile number are much more likely to result in the dog being returned to its owner.

You can get them for dog or cat details but

my experience has been that they unscrew and fall

apart .

I've never tried one on a dog but I can confirm this is the case on a cat.

Edited by MJG

With regard to collars. They can be a danger to an unsupervised dog, especially in woodland. Our older dog was nearly strangled when a branch caught under her collar and she twisted round trying to free herself; she was lucky I found her quickly. This is a known cause of fatalities in dogs. I am just about to buy a 'breakaway' collar for our younger dog because of this.

With regard to collars. They can be a danger to an unsupervised dog, especially in woodland. Our older dog was nearly strangled when a branch caught under her collar and she twisted round trying to free herself; she was lucky I found her quickly. This is a known cause of fatalities in dogs. I am just about to buy a 'breakaway' collar for our younger dog because of this.

It is for this reason I believe 'working' dogs are exempt from the requirement to wear a tag, but of course still have to be chipped. Not of course that that is of any help to those of us who like to walk their dogs in woodland.

(You do realise your use of the word 'unsupervised' is going to set another 'rabbit' away don't you? - I know what you mean though).

It is for this reason I believe 'working' dogs are exempt from the requirement to wear a tag, but of course still have to be chipped. Not of course that that is of any help to those of us who like to walk their dogs in woodland.

(You do realise your use of the word 'unsupervised' is going to set another 'rabbit' away don't you? - I know what you mean though).

Yes, I realised that soon after I wrote it. I really mean 'out of sight'. There are very extensive woodlands where I live and the dogs are free to run through them.