Oozells loop - Pubs?

linnit

Featured Posts

Arranged to meet a friend and some of his mates In the 'spoons in Liverpool.

Friend phoned to say he was delayed due to train breakdown, I continued walking to pub hoping to spot his mates and introduce myself, thought I just had to look out for a load of old blokes (60 to 70 ish) sat round a table.

Arrived in pub, scuppered, every single table was a load of old blokes in their 60s and 70s.

Don't like the spoons much, old men, bland "national" beers and worse of all won't let me in with the dog. However Liverpool did have a lovely strong local IPA at £3.00.

..............Dave

It's not a definitive list, but the POW only does tiny bags of scratchings, so loses points. Bacchus scores points for its hilariously kitsch interior.

You've never been in the Stourport one then?

Point of order: Broad Street doesn't have a bottom, it's flat. Also, both Wetherspoons there are big. One is branded as a Lloyds Bar and is called the Solomon Cutler. It's the better choice for breakfast as the bar is usually marginally less sticky from the night before. The other is a proper Wetherspoons called the Figure of Eight. I wouldn't willingly drink in either during the evening, or Broad Street generally. I was in O'Neills a couple of night ago. Marginally better than Spoons.

Yes it was the Solomon. I use a few spoons around here but they actually have decent ale.

I thought I remembered it being slightly up hill, maybe my legs were just tired, It truly was awful. I did not go in the other one after that but by all accounts it may not be any better.

Update...No available moorings in the Loop the day/night I stayed..Moored outside the flats by the entrance..really quiet..time of year probably...disappointed the Malthouse no longer serve my tipple "Newky Brown" infact not many pubs other than Spoons did..all the same had a great time in a great city ?

Annoyed yesterday to find convention centre shut as through route and oak cafe closed. Hope this isn't going to be an increasing trend. While the oak cafe doesn't serve top notch food, it's cheap and quick -we often have a very brief time to eat. We really struggle in the area to find any food that isn't served by a chain.

Update...No available moorings in the Loop the day/night I stayed..Moored outside the flats by the entrance..really quiet..time of year probably...disappointed the Malthouse no longer serve my tipple "Newky Brown" infact not many pubs other than Spoons did..all the same had a great time in a great city

Strewth, is Newcastle Brown still made! It was the bottled drink of choice in my youth, hence the nickname 'Newky Pukey', before we could get served in pubs. There are much better beers available.

Tim

Annoyed yesterday to find convention centre shut as through route and oak cafe closed. Hope this isn't going to be an increasing trend. While the oak cafe doesn't serve top notch food, it's cheap and quick -we often have a very brief time to eat. We really struggle in the area to find any food that isn't served by a chain.

Isn't that Oak Cafe place part of a chain?

If you're truly averse to a chain, the Tap and Spile does decent enough food now. Nearby Indian restaurants Blue Mango, Pushkar, Barajee, Celebrity and Vivaanta aren't chains. Plenty of other choices in the Mailbox which arent from chains or are from very small chains - eg Red Peppers, Bar Estilo. Brindley Place has plenty of similar - Edmunds, Le Monde, Piccolino etc. Mission Burrito is good. These are all around a minute's walk from the canal. In fact, if I bothered to rack my brains properly, I could probably come up with around 100 non-chain food places within 2 minutes of the canal. If you can make it as far as the Oak Cafe, carry on through to Marmalade at the front of the Rep, very good food.

It is a smallish chain but Le Bistrot Pierre in Gas Street provided us with a lovely meal a few weeks ago.

Isn't that Oak Cafe place part of a chain?

If you're truly averse to a chain, the Tap and Spile does decent enough food now. Nearby Indian restaurants Blue Mango, Pushkar, Barajee, Celebrity and Vivaanta aren't chains. Plenty of other choices in the Mailbox which arent from chains or are from very small chains - eg Red Peppers, Bar Estilo. Brindley Place has plenty of similar - Edmunds, Le Monde, Piccolino etc. Mission Burrito is good. These are all around a minute's walk from the canal. In fact, if I bothered to rack my brains properly, I could probably come up with around 100 non-chain food places within 2 minutes of the canal. If you can make it as far as the Oak Cafe, carry on through to Marmalade at the front of the Rep, very good food.

It is a smallish chain but Le Bistrot Pierre in Gas Street provided us with a lovely meal a few weeks ago.

Thank you for your tips. Hadn't realised there's a bistro pierre, they seem to have managed to keep up a good standard. We did eat at marmalade last night and agree was good quality -unfortunately we only had under an hour and though we stuck to one course, we only just made it back to the symphony hall in time. Yes, I guess oak may well be a chain but as it's canteen style the food can have been sat around but we can eat there in a very short break. But we'll definitely try some of your recommendations.

Strewth, is Newcastle Brown still made! It was the bottled drink of choice in my youth, hence the nickname 'Newky Pukey',

before we could get served in pubs. There are much better beers available.

Tim

You can still buy it, although it's probably not brewed in Newcastle anymore...I love it and have drank it all my adult life..Newky Pewkey was the name given to it by the people who couldn't handle it ??

Thank you for your tips. Hadn't realised there's a bistro pierre, they seem to have managed to keep up a good standard. We did eat at marmalade last night and agree was good quality -unfortunately we only had under an hour and though we stuck to one course, we only just made it back to the symphony hall in time. Yes, I guess oak may well be a chain but as it's canteen style the food can have been sat around but we can eat there in a very short break. But we'll definitely try some of your recommendations.

Not necessarily recommendations. Just not chains.