Lister JP valve springs - when to replace?

RAP

Featured Posts

I would replace if they are broken otherwise not worry unless you have specific cause. They are not a regular service item, to this end no specific mention is made of them in the workshop manual. For sticking valves it just mentions cleaning valve stems and guides for example.

I suppose if you were contemplating a complete engine overhaul including new valves, guides etc. they might be worth replacing.

Hello,

Does anyone know the specs to help me determine if the valve springs have weakened or is there a simpler 'engineers' method to measure this?

Thanks.

The traditional method is to put a new one next to the old one with no load and compare the heights. If the old one is shorter by more than about 10% it is time to replace.

Also replace if the is any sign of rust. Not usually a JP problem if regularly used.

N

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to purchase new inner and outer valve springs. Good job I did, you can see the comparison between old and new in the attached videos.

https://youtu.be/ulsDuHuzQKs

https://youtu.be/K6bmyw1-8QM

They look very different springing rates. Have you measured and compared the diameter of wire?

I would expect a tired spring to be shorter, but not have a lesser springing rate.

BICBW