Dublin

Foss62

Featured Posts

Just had a lovely short break to Dublin,shame to see the canal unused and full of litter and pallets,could be a really nice trip from the city centre as locks all seem OK,anyone ever travelled on it.

Russ

Ah....the town of my birth. Strangely there is no blue plaque (or Irish equivalent) to be seen.

We left in 1959 but when I was back for holidays as a kid, the canal and locks were a play area. Not used for navigation but well maintained and clean(ish) as I recall.

On a very brief visit to Dublin in September, I saw one lock from the bus about a mile or two out of the city centre on the south side. There was not a boat in sight, and based on this tiny sample I'd say the water was clean. However as it was a very rainy day, water was pouring heavily over both pairs of gates so any floating litter would have been carried away down to the Liffey and out to sea. It wasn't boating weather, but I didn't see any moored boats which kind of surprised me. Are rents low in Dublin, or has it not occurred to anyone to try to moor there living aboard, or does a lack of facilities or Irish law (national or local) make it difficult?

The section of the Grand Canal nearest the coast is well looked after. During the summer we saw people out litter picking with poles nets and canoes. There is a restaurant boat that moves but I don't know how far.

Just realised maybe you are talking about the Royal Canal on the North side of the Liffe?

The section of the Grand Canal nearest the coast is well looked after. During the summer we saw people out litter picking with poles nets and canoes. There is a restaurant boat that moves but I don't know how far.

Just realised maybe you are talking about the Royal Canal on the North side of the Liffe?

I doubt that the OP, on a short break in Dublin, would have spent much time on the North side.

The photo looks like the Grand Canal out towards Ball's Bridge way. I used to have relatives in Drimnagh so my memories must have been of the canal near there.

According to the Dark Side the canals through Dublin have been closed due to vandalism and outright attacks on boaters

Also reported in the Irish Independent. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/key-canals-closed-in-dublin-with-attacks-on-boaters-and-barges-blamed-35193567.html

I like the 'sponsored link' below the article (at least on my screen): "Having a few less drinks per day could help lower your blood pressure...".

(My highlight)

How many drinks a day do you start with?

• 2 weeks later...

The photo looks like the Grand Canal out towards Ball's Bridge way. I used to have relatives in Drimnagh so my memories must have been of the canal near there.

A friend who went to Uni. in Dublin said that the students had renamed the bridge Testicle Viaduct - OK I'll get me hat