Fuel polishing/cleaning

Featured Posts

We have been advised to have our deisel tank and fuel cleaned. I was recommended "Tankbusters" (www.tankbusters.co.uk) for the job.

Has anyone else used this company, or any other offering the service, and can recommend or otherwise?

Steve

Do you have an actual problem with your fuèl or is this someone trying to drum up business on the basis of fear? I have used the DIY system by tankbusters ( borrowed from a friend) and found it susceptible to jamming if it picks up particulate matter.

If all you have is a bit of water at the bottom of the tank it would be cheaper to pump it out.

Top Cat

We ( for clients boats) have used tankbusters on several occasions

In all instances the craft had very dirty fuel and an invasive diesel bug issue

Bruce spent time cleaning and takin test samples , since these boats have been done and susequently treated with Marine 16

There have been no further fuel issues

I do believe that you get what you pay for and he does a professional job

And no I am not linked to Tankbusters just a satisfied broker/client

Do you have an actual problem with your fuèl or is this someone trying to drum up business on the basis of fear?

Top Cat

We have just had the engine serviced and the was quite a bit of dirty water in the fuel separator, and the filter was pretty mucky. We dont have a drain point on our fuel tank so couldn't get the suspected water out that way.

Steve

As others have said start by rigging up some sort of pump with a length of thinish stiffish pipe so you can put it down the filler (on the majority but not all narrowboats) and use it to vacuum all the water and mucky fuel from the bottom of the tank. Keep going until you are sucking bright clear red diesel. If you pull out (say) more than 5 litres of fuel AFTER you have cleared the water then stop and fuel polishing would be a good idea. Then add Marine 16 bug killer ( the small bottle) and fill up with diesel to mix it into the fuel.

Do the pump from the bottom of the tank next spring to ensure the water/dirt has not come back.