Single handed in locks - how to use bow line?

pamc2205

Featured Posts

My first post in the forum so bare with me as a newbie. I've lived aboard for a year but my partner has always monopolised all of the steering on his weekly visits to the boat & as a result my confidence has shrunk to zero. We parted company this week & I have no choice but to move the boat alone within the next 2 days before winter stoppages block me in where I am.

I'm fairly confident with doing locks as crew but worried sick about attempting the whole thing alone, especially as I can't see how I can use ladders in locks to get on/off as I have 4 large solar panels covering the rear of the roof.

Any tips please?

Thanks

My first post in the forum so bare with me as a newbie. I've lived aboard for a year but my partner has always monopolised all of the steering on his weekly visits to the boat & as a result my confidence has shrunk to zero. We parted company this week & I have no choice but to move the boat alone within the next 2 days before winter stoppages block me in where I am.

I'm fairly confident with doing locks as crew but worried sick about attempting the whole thing alone, especially as I can't see how I can use ladders in locks to get on/off as I have 4 large solar panels covering the rear of the roof.

Any tips please?

Thanks

Hi

There are many safe ways of single handing your boat and not only one right way its more a case of what suits you. A regular single hander like Matty will soon be along to help and hopefully some one near you will come to offer personal help.

Cheers

Tim

I'm in Gargrave heading towards Skipton.

Another strategy would be to wait for another boat so I can share lock with them but that won't always be a practical idea!

I'm going to sleep on it tonight & weather permitting have a go in the morning.

Many thanks

as a single hander your most important line is the centre line, bow line can be grabbed and secured once you have got the boat alongside a mooring/locklanding etc, however, if you have to walk off the back, walk off with your centreline in your hand, at least you have a chance of bollarding or tying your boat to anything.

It doesnt have to be pretty, it doesnt have to look cool, it is about using your centreline to do most of the work for you.

if your boat is still moving forwards, loop it round a bollard rather than attempt to pull it to a stop yourself.

as it comes into a lock, loop it round a bollard or gatepost to slow it down.

let the rope do the work for you.

practice as much as you can and revel in small achievements when it goes juts damn right.

one day you will do that when someone is watching!!

I'm in Gargrave heading towards Skipton.

Another strategy would be to wait for another boat so I can share lock with them but that won't always be a practical idea!

I'm going to sleep on it tonight & weather permitting have a go in the morning.

Many thanks

Isn't that where forum member MissMax is too?

She is a more experienced boater than you and will give you loads of help and support I suspect, if you track her down.

Here is her long-running thread. Send her a PM!

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86803&hl=

And maybe move the solar panels forward.

if the solar panels are in the way of using your centrelines, get 1 line each side through loops or fairleads sited on your cabin top/handrail level with the centreline spot.

This will mean you can still use your centre lines without damaging your solar panels.

Being a single handed boater this is how I go downhill.

As people have already said, you need to use the centre line, have it ready to pick up all the time. Fill the lock, open the gates, then drive in. Step off with the centre line and wrap it around a bollard, don't tie it off though.

Close the gates, make sure the paddles are closed, then move to the front. I would suggest you only open the paddles on the side where your boat is. Keep an eye on your boat, it will move about in the double locks.

Once the water has equalised, open the gate. Generally, I pull my boat out so I haven't got to climb down the ladder, also, maybe a bit naughty, but as I'm pulling the boat out, I only open 1 gate.

Once through, close the gate, lower the paddles, climb back on and move on to the next lock.

I did this section a few months ago and you will have 3 bridges (if memory serves me correctly) to move yourself also. You may be lucky, as I was, and have a kind walker who will help you through. Alternatively, you could take Martin up on his kind offer of help. However, I would suggest you have a go at one or two yourself with your helper keeping an eye on things. On my trip this year, I was pulling away from boats which had crew on some of the smaller, single locks.

Kevin

• Greenie 1

First of all, don't panic, there can only be one lock closure between you and Skipton - Stegneck Lock and it reopens at the end of November. If you're through Stegneck, then there's only a swing bridge closure to worry about.

If you can, wait at the lock for another boat to arrive and go through with them.

If there's nobody about and nobody from the forum steps up, this is what I would advise.

You'll be going down in the locks? Yes? So moor up on the lock landing and have a proper look at the look. The depth, the position of the ladders, the winding gear etc.

Make sure all the gates are closed and then fill the lock.

Take it slow, no need to rush.

Make sure your centre line is where you want it.

Open the top gate and drive into the lock.

Step off the back, while holding the centre line and loop it 2-3 times round a bollard, leaving some slack.

Shut the top gates and make sure the paddles are down.

Then go to bottom end of the lock and slowly wind up the paddle on the same side as the boat is tied.

Ignore the other paddle - you're in no rush!

Take hold of the centre line but keep it looped around the bollard, let the line run round the bollard smoothly (if you can), keeping an eye on the levels etc.

When the lock is eventually empty, open the near-side gate and drop the paddle.

Now you have a choice. Depending on where the boat is in the lock, and where the ladder is, you could choose to climb down onto the boat. If that doesn't appeal, simply use the centre line to pull the boat out of the lock. Don't worry if this takes you half an hour, there's no rush!

Then close the gate.

Done!

If you have a life-jacket, wear it.

When you get to a swing-bridge, you may be confused if the winding gear is on the opposite side to the towpath? If that's the case, you will need to tie the boat to the off-side or the bridge itself. You may need nudge the boat up to the bridge and walk down the gunwales to the bow and take the bow line in your hand before climbing off the front of the boat onto the bridge or the bank . Then tie your bow to something before you open the bridge.

If the swing bridge is operated from the towpath side, then ignore that advice.

If the swing bridge is left open then don't worry about it at all.

Edited to add: looks like Kevin and I were posting similar advice at the same time.

I really can't stress enough that taking things slowly is the key.

• Greenie 1

What kind, helpful and accurate advice from both Kevin and Dave above.

One thing I would add is while you are taking your time, don't stress that another boat could arrive at any minute and you'll be holding thems up. The opposite applies really. If another boat arrives, go and talk to them. Tell them you are new and taking it slowly, they will almost certainly be supportive and help you through if you wish.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

I am overwhelmed at the speedy & helpful advice!

I took a few deep breaths & gave myself a stern talking to & then got on with it.

2 lovely lone boaters turned up just as I was inching towards the 1st lock - I offered to let them go through first as I would be slow & they oh so kindly offered to watch me go through alone to give moral support. This was just what I needed, many thanks to them.

So I have slowly but surely moved myself through 3 locks & a couple of awkward swing bridges. Another bridge to do tomorrow but I've called it a day for today as I found a lovely spot to moor. Also another first, mooring up alone.

A day of firsts!

Showered, fire alight, fresh bread baking in in the oven & a beautiful view. What more could a girl want.

Many many thanks all for the advice & moral support.

Onwards & upwards.

Note it's going to be quite windy tomorrow, so if you use ropes to pull the.l boat through the swing bridge you may struggle.

I took a few deep breaths & gave myself a stern talking to & then got on with it.

2 lovely lone boaters turned up just as I was inching towards the 1st lock - I offered to let them go through first as I would be slow & they oh so kindly offered to watch me go through alone to give moral support. This was just what I needed, many thanks to them.

So I have slowly but surely moved myself through 3 locks & a couple of awkward swing bridges. Another bridge to do tomorrow but I've called it a day for today as I found a lovely spot to moor. Also another first, mooring up alone.

A day of firsts!

Showered, fire alight, fresh bread baking in in the oven & a beautiful view. What more could a girl want.

Onwards & upwards.

Made me smile, that

A day of firsts!

Onwards & upwards.

Lovely post, thanks.

I'm especially impressed with the 'fresh bread baking in the oven' bit. Wish I could do that after a day's boating!

On reflection I wish I could do that even without the boating. What's your bread recipe??