galvanic isolator

Featured Posts

A friend asks this question, he wants to fit a galvanic isolator and wanted to know does it fit before or after his inverter?, I said it goes from earth on RCD and mains inlet socket then to earth point on boat. Is that correct? Cheers

A friend asks this question, he wants to fit a galvanic isolator and wanted to know does it fit before or after his inverter?, I said it goes from earth on RCD and mains inlet socket then to earth point on boat. Is that correct? Cheers

it needs to go between the shore supply and the boat system.

Therefore either a twin plug unit connected from the shoreline to the landline socket on the boat for a cheap, easy to use version, or wired in between the landline socket and the RCD unit.

There are lots of other threads currently running on this subject.

As it appears your friend is not sure how to fit a galvanic isolator I would suggest that he gets a competent person to check that the wiring meets safety requirements and that the earth is correctly and safely connected from the shoreline input to the main consumer unit.

As it appears your friend is not sure how to fit a galvanic isolator I would suggest that he gets a competent person to check that the wiring meets safety requirements and that the earth is correctly and safely connected from the shoreline input to the main consumer unit.

Agree, we are talking of voltages that could well be life threatening.

Unplug your shoreline. Turn off your inverter and isolate the 240v RCD's. Find the inlet power cable from the shoreline socket as close to where it enters the boat as possible. You need to expose the earth wire, cut it (only the earth, not the live and neutral) and strip back enough insulating cover so that you have enough earth cable to connect to either end of the isolator. If theres not enough slack to do this, then you can add junction box/terminal connectors but the fewer connections the better. The isolator just sits 'inline' of the earth.