Posting a Text Document Into a PM

Barry

Featured Posts

I want to send another forum member a text document (MS Word) but I can't see how to attach such a document to a PM or create a link to such a document on my desktop.

Can anyone tell me how to do such a thing?

Thank you in anticipation

"Yes" will not be considered to be a suitable answer - I KNOW I have asked a closed question tongue.png

Its not possible to attach documents/files to a PM, you'd need to either copy and paste the text (thus losing a lot of formatting) or send it via an alternate means, for example email; or share it on a document-sharing website of some kind, then send them a link to it.

Its not possible to attach documents/files to a PM, you'd need to either copy and paste the text (thus losing a lot of formatting) or send it via an alternate means, for example email; or share it on a document-sharing website of some kind, then send them a link to it.

Or if you are both Facebook users, FB messaging can handle sending files.

It should be possible to upload attachments via PM which I have tested using a test user account. Although .docx wasn't supported until now.

See attached, go to the same page and click "Choose files", then upload.

I can get the bit about attaching files if I reply to post in a thread - but only if I click on "other options" at bottom right next to the "post" button.

In PMs I can't see a "other options" button

It should be possible to upload attachments via PM which I have tested using a test user account. Although .docx wasn't supported until now.

Are you sure?

I can do this when replying to a forum post but do not get the 'more options' button in a PM. (Safari on an iPad)

I can get the bit about attaching files if I reply to post in a thread - but only if I click on "other options" at bottom right next to the "post" button.

In PMs I can't see a "other options" button

Ditto

I don't think your test user account reflects a "normal" user account - check its subgroups, its possible there's an additional group in there which was used when testing the attachment facility. I know that admins/mods have the ability and I thought normal users didn't, but dev members might do. Of course, its possible that its been changed recently. I've just checked myself, and I don't have the facility.

I don't think your test user account reflects a "normal" user account - check its subgroups, its possible there's an additional group in there which was used when testing the attachment facility. I know that admins/mods have the ability and I thought normal users didn't, but dev members might do. Of course, its possible that its been changed recently. I've just checked myself, and I don't have the facility.

Oops...

Thanks. Can you re-test? It's a little awkward making these changes via my phone but let me know if it's still not working and I will have another look.

Its there now Rich

Thank you very much

I don't think it needs an oops. During the initial testing, it was applied to one or two admin accounts and tested. A number of configuration changes were made to the available features, then it was beta-tested after members were invited to help out (development member group created), initially on a test subforum then opened out to all the forums, then opened out to all the members. There was a bunch of tweaks done during each stage, obviously one of those was is wasn't made available for PMs (I can't remember if dev members got it for PMs - I think so though) for normal members. Also, 2x test accounts were used for the testing - and remained for other test purposes too. In any case, I can see its been opened up for all members to be able to add attachments to PMs, so the original poster's query has been fully answered and as a bonus, functionality improved for all.

I don't think it needs an oops. During the initial testing, it was applied to one or two admin accounts and tested. A number of configuration changes were made to the available features, then it was beta-tested after members were invited to help out (development member group created), initially on a test subforum then opened out to all the forums, then opened out to all the members. There was a bunch of tweaks done during each stage, obviously one of those was is wasn't made available for PMs (I can't remember if dev members got it for PMs - I think so though) for normal members. Also, 2x test accounts were used for the testing - and remained for other test purposes too. In any case, I can see its been opened up for all members to be able to add attachments to PMs, so the original poster's query has been fully answered and as a bonus, functionality improved for all.

That's an interesting summation.

I don't recall details, but certainly it was tested as said, adjustments made to things like the the image size, and then it was rolled out.

As I see no reason for it not to be available to members to use in the PM, having become aware of it Rich has Austen the settings to everyone's gain.

Daniel