Keeping a dog aboard a narrow boat

chiefotter

Featured Posts

Evening all,

I have a few questions regarding keeping a dog on a narrow boat, my partner, myself and our clumsy German Shepherd are moving onto a 62ft narrow boat in January..

We are planning on running a business from the boat and pretty much constantly cruising.

My main question is what do I do in regards to registering my dog with a vet? And should I need to take her to a vet in an emergency what would I do?

And also, does anyone have any tips for making her transition to boat life easier? Or just any tips for a newbie to the boat world who has a rather big dog!

Thank you!

Welcome

Most of us have dogs on boats they usualy love the life rather than cooped up in the same old garden of a house. Vets are never a problem we either stay with the same one and travel when needed or go to any vet after all they all love money first and yer dog second, just check out their income. You have a big dog which is a bonus as it will sound like a dog when you are not around and thus deter thieving lowlife scum from entering your boat. Another plus point to a large dog is you dont trip over them as you can see them unlike those shitty little yappy half dogs that seem to abound these days.

The transition will be easy for the dog, probably easier than for you biggrin.png

Tim

Evening all,

I have a few questions regarding keeping a dog on a narrow boat, my partner, myself and our clumsy German Shepherd are moving onto a 62ft narrow boat in January..

We are planning on running a business from the boat and pretty much constantly cruising.

My main question is what do I do in regards to registering my dog with a vet? And should I need to take her to a vet in an emergency what would I do?

And also, does anyone have any tips for making her transition to boat life easier? Or just any tips for a newbie to the boat world who has a rather big dog!

Thank you!

No different to us as caravanners.

You don't need to 'register' with a Vet in the same way as you do a GP. We have been away this week and our dog has been unwell. We just googled the nearest town/nearest vet, rang them and took him in.

The vet printed off a clinical/treatment history sheet for us to take to the vet we normally use as he needs a check up next week. It would be the same if we were just moving on in the 'van rather than going home.

We got such good service as it happens we are seriously thinking about not using the vet at home any longer and just taking him elsewhere in future. Every vet we use other than the one at home seems to,provide better service, including the ones in France.

If we do its just a matter of switching, no 'registration' as such is required.

Our German shepherd never had any experience of a narrowboat until she was 6 yrs old and took to it like a duck to water, she was not clumsy but we always put her in a life jacket just in case to ease lifting out of the cut safely should it ever happen (it did happen once). She always knew when we were going cruising when the jacket was fitted and never resisted it being worn. We wish you all the best and am sure your dog will be ok.

Being afloat for just 2 months, can honestly say our 3 year old gsd dog has settled very well. His separation anxiety appears to have become less of a problem, now we've managed to train him to sit on a box on the well deck when we go through locks, or casting off and mooring. If he comes off his box, he gets told to get back up. He's happiest when knows what's expected of him. Plus he's less of a liability when he's under control.

Had to laugh at him this afternoon, he wanted to turn around, so he backed up along half the boat to turn around! They are just so bendy, and articulated!

Although he can swim, he always has a harness/lifejacket on as he can't get out of the canal without help. Daft dog's fell in 3 times now! Last time was in the pound at Atherton top lock.

I won't let him swim in the canal (apart from accidents) as there's so many things he could pick up from the water.

So far touch wood, there's been no need for a vet, though he did cut a pad so we kept the area clean ourselves.

Can you get life jackets specifically for dogs, or are you adapting personal life jackets? My GSD is cow hocked and is a bit unsteady sometimes. He has never been swimming yet, so I'm not sure how he would fare if he went in.

Of course you can.

Most chandlers stock them or eBay is a good source.

Of course you can.

Most chandlers stock them or eBay is a good source.

Just make sure you get the right size, we have 4 in different sizes (had 4 dogs when we moved aboard) They really can be a life saver, one of our dogs went in on a tidal river with ice floating past and I'm certain if it had not been for her lifejacket we would have lost her. The loop handle is so good for hooking with a boathook and as an aid to drag them out.

Phil

Thank you everyone!! We were planning on getting her a life jacket as she loves water and will jump in at every opportunity which would be potentially disastrous in the wrong place. We are lucky in the fact that we have a wheel house so she can't access outside unless we let her onto the bow (which won't happen often as she only has access to that over our bed and through the hatch) I'm sure she will settle in fine after a while just worrying as she is a rescue dog who lived in the same small kennel for 4 years of her life and when I've moved in the past she is very unsettled for a while.

If anyone bumps into us during our travels she is a friendly girl she just likes to shout her mouth of when she's scared (which is only really when another approaches head on at the speed of light) :D

I wish you well. Molly was about 12 when she first went on a boat..she loved sitting under the tiller though i always had her secure as she was a bit daft....she only barked when anyone wandered to near boat at night..in fact having her was great because you knew all those strange noises were ok as she ignored them. Although on deck she would stand on a box my mate made me(I am quite small and he thought it'd help me see when driving) and keep watch..she'd sound off when other dogs viewed.

I loved time with Molly on my boat...enjoy..

She didn't like locks or tunnels and I would secure her inside during those times with somewhere to hide her head..her solution to those worries!

We continuously cruise with a dog & 2 cats & have , over the years, accrued a pet first aid kit for those minor things that happen & we're miles from anywhere. Lola had a nasty rash as a pup, we did take her to a vets & they scratched their heads & muttered allergies & meds for life, I googled it & found it looked very similar to impetigo, treatment was to swab with mild solution of hydrogen peroxide 3 x day for 3 days, cured

. She also ripped a dew claw which we dusted with antiseptic powder & strapped it up, soon healed.

We certainly don't run to the vets for every little thing but when we do need one we just look one up in nearest town.

Vets are absolutely no problem at all, there's usually one within reach hooray for the internet.

But, if all else fails:

Exactly two years ago we stopped in Kinver for the night, it was a Sunday. Our old dog Suzy who was already in very poor health took a turn for the worse and was clearly in a lot of pain. There is a vets in Kinver so we determined to take her in first thing in the morning, realising that she had probably come to the end of the line. But she deteriorated further and there was no alternative but to ring the emergency number. It's now 9 pm, dark, and raining and we were a good 400 yards from the nearest road bridge. Within an hour, the duty vet turned up - with a nurse - and confirmed there was nothing to be done but put an end to her suffering. I held poor Suzy in my lap while they administered the lethal injection, a dignified end to a wonderul dog.

It was only when we visited the vets in town the following morning that we discovered the duty vet had actually travelled from somewhere near Whitchurch in Shropshire, how he got to our boat in an hour, collecting a nurse en route, is beyond me. We paid for Suzy to be cremated and collected her ashes on the way home, The total cost of the service was £270.

The name of the practice concerned is Severn Edge Veterinary Group.

Vets are not a problem as they are businesses that want your custom.

The problem may be pet insurance as they like any excuse not to pay out. Our dog is registered at the mother-in-laws address for insurance purposes, and when we need to use the vets we "just happened to be on holiday on the boat" when the need for a vet arose.

You may also want to watch what you tell the vet just in case they add it to the dogs perminent records.

We recently looked into getting insurance for our new dog and for inexplicable reasons the area in which you live is taken into consideration when getting a quote. Sorry did I say inexplicable, what I meant to say was for money grabbing reasons.

Some good replies there.

Ours face was a picture the first time she set sail, she had been on the boat for all the viewings.

Have done all manner through locks with her, she is good and has been good, she has jumped of the boat when my mrs went to the first lock in Manchester ( protective ) since then we have trained her.

Yesterday she looked after the windlass, today we did the Rufford arm of L&L, its quiet. She did virtually all day off lead, doing different things,

She was knackered by 14:30 and went to guard the fire!

If I can work out how to send photos I will upload them

Thank you very much everyone! Yes I think going to keep her insurance under my mums address and just happen to be 'on holiday on the boat' should I ever need to use it.

Pictures would be great! Would love to do that kind of thing with my girl one day but sadly as she is a rescue and had a very sheltered first 4 years before I got her she is very reactive towards other dogs when she feels scared, and being a German Shepherd she makes people worry when I'm out and about! But one day we will hopefully get there!!

Skye is a rescue dog, we have had her for 2.5 years, we are the longest people to have kept her.

I always had GSD before, Skye is an American Bull Dog, no different she had no confidence when I got her, now she is confident.

Any dog requires a pack leader, that is you.

I pretty much know my dogs insecurities so I avoid certain situations, taught her 'on the boat' for example.

Past couple of days I have really tested her, she has done well can't stay awake past 15:00 though Lordy lightweight, oh she wakes for food

Yeah my girl is much better now than she was. Unfortunately it is hard for me to avoid all her insecurities all of the time. At times especially when in city centres and lots of other dogs around on towpaths etc and she needs alot of exercise, she's no couch potato! It she will get used to it all, will just be a pain when settling and with 101 different people on and off the boat

Any dog requires a pack leader, that is you.

So true, if they don't see you as leader then they will step up to be the leader to protect the pack. This makes them nervous and scared. I try to be kind but firm.

With my gsd's issues, I ignore them. Otherwise if you acknowledge them being scared, they could see attention as a reward. If he ignores a dog having a go at him, he gets a huge cuddle.

Edited by Jennifer McM