Tonbridge boaters facing eviction! Petition!!

Starlight

Featured Posts

Please sign the online petition to help boaters caught in a battle between landowner and leaseholder over a Victorian boatyard on a pretty stretch of the river Medway, which is an important part of history. Ten boat owners could lose their moorings. With no nearby moorings for them they also face losing jobs and having to uproot.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-our-boatyard

I like to see both sides of an issue before deciding whether I support one or the other. There's not enough information at that link. How do we know that moving 10 boaters isn't in the greater good? What is being done to compensate? Maybe the basin is to be a key feature in something new and will benefit boaters even more?

We were in Tonbridge during the summer and went for a walk along the riverside. I don't remember seeing a historic boatyard, though there were private boats and trip boats dotted about. Is this yard outside the town, perhaps?

I too am sceptical - many of the 'boating stories' that the 38 Degrees have been involved in seem to be very controversial and the 'other side of the story' is more than relevant.

Lets hear both sides, and then vote as 'informed' individuals rather than just jumping on the bandwagon because it has 'boat' in the title.

I too am sceptical - many of the 'boating stories' that the 38 Degrees have been involved in seem to be very controversial and the 'other side of the story' is more than relevant.

Lets hear both sides, and then vote as 'informed' individuals rather than just jumping on the bandwagon because it has 'boat' in the title.

Apparently the boatyard is "Tonbridge's Answer to Venice"...

Of course, there remains the slight possibility that this description is over-egging reality.

http://www.kentlive.news/tonbridge-riverboat-community-appeal-for-help-after-eviction-threat/story-29803370-detail/story.html

Edited to say that, having read the letter from the landowner that is pictured in the article, his terms appear to prevent squatting on his land, whichon the face of it seems to be not unreasonable.

Of course, there may be other correspondence that has not been published.

Edited by PaulG

7 days ago they claim they were not getting evicted though?

From Facebook.

We have just recieved this info
Dear All, we have some news and we think you might like it....
we, the Boaters, will not be evicted on the 22/10/16.

We believe that your support has helped us achieve this, the Boatyard will remain a Boatyard. My feelings are that the Boatyard is special and should remain a Boatyard, pretty boats on the River adds uniqueness to Tonbridge, lets keep it that way.
We are talking to the Landowners solicitor as we have lots of questions that need clarification and we will keep you updated on our cause. Each and everyone in the local and wider community, you have truly blown us away, your love, support, kind words and deeds has kept us going. People power is an amazing strength, thank you for standing up with us. Have a very happy Friday and we will keep you updated on any further developments

Threat of eviction very real. Some boaters paid up a year in advance to unscrupulous landlord. Dont sign if you don't want to. It's people's homes. A Victorian boatyard round the park that has historical and local significance as well as being the last boatyard upriver on the Medway. A shame to concrete it over for flats. It's seems unlikely flats will go ahead but boaters still caught up in a legal battle with no other moorings nearby some will lose jobs. Local support and MPs support. Do what you can. Thanks everyone

Threat of eviction very real. Some boaters paid up a year in advance to unscrupulous landlord. Dont sign if you don't want to. It's people's homes. A Victorian boatyard round the park that has historical and local significance as well as being the last boatyard upriver on the Medway. A shame to concrete it over for flats. It's seems unlikely flats will go ahead but boaters still caught up in a legal battle with no other moorings nearby some will lose jobs. Local support and MPs support. Do what you can. Thanks everyone

I know nothing about the situation that you are in. Personally I think you need to explain the circumstances a bit better.

It seems to me (from the limited information available) that the land owner was a victim of the "unscrupulous landlord" as well as you.

The land owner says that he seeks to make a new agreement with you. I'm failing to see any threat there. If he is making unreasonable demands, then of course that is different.

I think people on this forum are very willing to support worthy causes. But giving next to no information and then saying "Don't sign if you don't want to" is not going to achieve much in the way of results, IMHO.

I know nothing about the situation that you are in. Personally I think you need to explain the circumstances a bit better.

It seems to me (from the limited information available) that the land owner was a victim of the "unscrupulous landlord" as well as you.

The land owner says that he seeks to make a new agreement with you. I'm failing to see any threat there. If he is making unreasonable demands, then of course that is different.

I think people on this forum are very willing to support worthy causes. But giving next to no information and then saying "Don't sign if you don't want to" is not going to achieve much in the way of results, IMHO.

Looks to me like the owner leased it to somebody who sub-let to the boaters, and the head lease has been terminated.

As it appears that the head lessor didn't give proper leases to the boaters, they have (going by the pictures) gone rather beyond mooring their boats, and have created a rather extensive land-based area as well.

The owner appears happy to have moorings, but probably less happy about the amount of land that the moorers have appropriated.

This looks like a case where talking was needed, not a petition on an antagonistic web site

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...
On 28/10/2016 at 09:38, Starlight said:

Please sign the online petition to help boaters caught in a battle between landowner and leaseholder over a Victorian boatyard on a pretty stretch of the river Medway, which is an important part of history. Ten boat owners could lose their moorings. With no nearby moorings for them they also face losing jobs and having to uproot.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-our-boatyard

Looks like they lost:

https://www.timesoftunbridgewells.co.uk/judge-sinks-hopes-for-boaters-to-stay-in-tonbridge/

Tin

• 3 weeks later...