Icknield Loop development

PaulG

Featured Posts

I wonder how long it will be between them installing rings, bollards etc and the NO MOORING signs going up!

Depends on how long it takes someone to fire up their stove using oily rags and run a generator all night on the towpath...

I wonder how long it will be between them installing rings, bollards etc and the NO MOORING signs going up!

The architect's drawing in the article appears to show just a paved edge with nothing to moor to, and indeed I don't see a bow line; the boat isn't moored?

Interesting. What will the Grove Lane scheme (in pink below) do for the Cape Loop?

ickneildJPG.jpg

A large part of the Grove Lane site is currently in development as the new hospital. I've been lucky enough to be given a tour round the construction site and it's definitely impressive (you can see the huge red cranes from the Main Line. The attached canal is a bit of a moot point though. In the original drawings, the canal was shown all smartened up with boats and moorings on the cape arm. However, the hospital site stops a few few from the canal edge and as far as I know the re-opening of the cape arm off the mainline has not been decided. I'm sure the hope is that the whole area around the hospital will get developed as a result. There's a number of lovely old industrial buildings around the hospital and close to the canal there which I would hope could be restored, but I expect it's more likely that they'll be flattened.

Maybe one day I'll be able to go to A&E by boat...

I do agree but arguably there is no mooring there at the moment so we will not have lost anything. In a way it will be great to have it opened up and cleaned up. I have not been round it for a few years but I seem to remember lots of sinking and sunk boats round there. I am not sure what will happen to them or if they are of any historical importance.

I do agree but arguably there is no mooring there at the moment so we will not have lost anything. In a way it will be great to have it opened up and cleaned up. I have not been round it for a few years but I seem to remember lots of sinking and sunk boats round there. I am not sure what will happen to them or if they are of any historical importance.

I went round last sunday. It's looking particularly lovely at the moment. The trees and shrubs lining the loop havent been cut back for a while and it's made a lovely green corridor. Didn't see any sinking on sunk boats but I did spot the regular kingfisher which has taken residence there for the last few years. Lots of lovely old working boats there at the moment too. Anyone head out of Brum down the Mainline should take the detour. It's well worth it.

I went round last sunday. It's looking particularly lovely at the moment. The trees and shrubs lining the loop havent been cut back for a while and it's made a lovely green corridor. Didn't see any sinking on sunk boats but I did spot the regular kingfisher which has taken residence there for the last few years. Lots of lovely old working boats there at the moment too. Anyone head out of Brum down the Mainline should take the detour. It's well worth it.

there were some "mud hoppers" moored down last time we were there, I was eyeing them up as a possible overnight stop on the BCN Challenge.

there were some "mud hoppers" moored down last time we were there, I was eyeing them up as a possible overnight stop on the BCN Challenge.

Plenty of mud hoppers there on the west side of the loop. Not sinking or sunk though. They get a bit weighed down by rainwater until they get pumped out and used by contractors. I bowhauled one up from Cuckoo Wharf last year for a friend. Tiring day!