Restoring Paint

tonyt40

Featured Posts

Hello I want to tidy my boat up a bit. I have removed some stickers and revealed shiny paint. The rest is fairly dull and could do with sprucing up. I think it's a Dacrylate product as there are some pots of paint that seem to match under the bunk. I have a polishing machine and wondered if anybody knew what was the best cutting compound for this type of paint and a non-silicon based Polish.

Thanks

Edited by tonyt40

I cut with Farecla G3, polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and topped with AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection. It worked well for me, but you should try a test patch first! I have no idea if there is silicon in the Autoglym products.

How long did it stay shiny?

I cut with Farecla G3, polished with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, and topped with AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protection. It worked well for me, but you should try a test patch first! I have no idea if there is silicon in the Autoglym products.

No silicon in the Autoglym products you mention. I use both of those when detailing the cars.

I've had good results with the meguirs (105 for a hard cut) and 205 (more of a polish)... followed up by something like colonite if you can be bothered - it locks in a (slightly duller) shine hard as nails for a while.

I realise it's aimed at automotive folk but it might be worth taking a look at the detailing forums such as http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/

I've had good results with the meguirs (105 for a hard cut) and 205 (more of a polish)... followed up by something like colonite if you can be bothered - it locks in a (slightly duller) shine hard as nails for a while.

I realise it's aimed at automotive folk but it might be worth taking a look at the detailing forums such as http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/

Where can you buy the Meguiars locally? Can't say I have seen it in halford?

However, the question still remains with all these cut/polish and wax restoring procedures for milky boat paint: how long did it last?

I'll let you know in 6 months.

I did mine with Autoglym Super Resin Polish, followed by Colinite. Came up a treat. And the reason I keep asking how long it lasts is...

It seems to me you can use either one of the two feedback points that everyone else uses:

1. Report back earlier, usually shortly after the work, and say how impressed you are.

2. Stick with 6 months and tell us you're disappointed because it's gone dull/milky again.

We have been impressed with two polishes:

3M paste and wax is slightly hard work does a great job of restoring paint colour

Craftmaster Carnuba Wax - really easy to put on, gives a really nice deep colour on our blue boat but not quite as aggressive at restoring paint as the 3M product.

Our previous paint was only a molecule thick so was always impressed by what the two products could achieve.

The link is to the Craftmaster "Wash and Wax" set which includes a shampoo. I have to say that after using the wax for two years and the very occasional wash with the shampoo the colour did last a lot better but I did also find a bottle of International Sealer which I put on top so that may have served to extend the life. Trying to put some figures on it: When we first used the 3M polish I think it looked good for about 2-3 months, similar with the Craftmaster. Last year we polished the boat twice and I think the boat looked good for longer after the second polish, this year once in the spring and she was still looking reasonable but not brilliant when Andy Russell took her into a paint shop in September.

Absolutely nothing beats the appearance of a boat after an Andy Russell paint job so thinking about it don't bother polishing the boat, just go and see Andy Russell (well book now for a slot in two years time).

EDIT: Last photo I saw had Andy Russell in a cell in Colditz, I have not checked but would hope that he managed to escape and his glider did not crash after faking a heart condition in the Dentist's chair whilst dressed as a girl scout

Edited by RichardN

Where can you buy the Meguiars locally? Can't say I have seen it in halford?

You used to be able to get it in halfords - last stuff I bought was from ebay though. I've still got a few dregs at work so if you're not in a rush, I'll bring them home when I go back to work (I've got a week off to start work on the boat) and you can try before you buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-105-and-205-Ultra-Finishing-Cut-Polish-Twin-Pack-both-237ml-/142116070891?hash=item2116c725eb:g:VtEAAOSwOdpXxUYv

Edited by Quaysider

How long did it stay shiny?

One side was done in March this year, and is still looking good. It has been washed twice in the season, with Autoglym shampoo. The roof, which is Epiphanes Red, needed cutting/polishing again after four months, but I didn't cut it as hard on the first attempt. I think that if you invest a bit of time, cash, and effort you will get a finish that will least at least six months, so beginning of the cruising season, and maybe the end, before winter.

One side was done in March this year, and is still looking good. It has been washed twice in the season, with Autoglym shampoo. The roof, which is Epiphanes Red, needed cutting/polishing again after four months, but I didn't cut it as hard on the first attempt. I think that if you invest a bit of time, cash, and effort you will get a finish that will least at least six months, so beginning of the cruising season, and maybe the end, before winter.

Better results than most then, but you can't do C3 too often before you're staring at undercoat, particularly on a soft handbrushed paint.

You used to be able to get it in halfords - last stuff I bought was from ebay though. I've still got a few dregs at work so if you're not in a rush, I'll bring them home when I go back to work (I've got a week off to start work on the boat) and you can try before you buy.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meguiars-105-and-205-Ultra-Finishing-Cut-Polish-Twin-Pack-both-237ml-/142116070891?hash=item2116c725eb:g:VtEAAOSwOdpXxUYv

Thanks for the offer. I picked some up from Halford today. It's Meguiars ultimate compound. I'll see how I go on.

I'll bet I can guess where you will be this week!

Edited by tonyt40

well - IF it were up to me, I'd be there now, "pottering and fettling"... alas, apparently I'm tired and grumpy (and a bit pished) so was forced to leave - supposedly to begin afresh tomorrow... trouble is, having tried to sleep, the list of jobs is spinning round and round my head.]

Good luck with the polishing though - I've a machine one which took a bit of getting used to but so long as it's used on slow (and with plenty of lube - faracela detailer is good) they work well... if a little bit splattery until you get the hang of it.

No silicon in the Autoglym products you mention. I use both of those when detailing the cars.

Difinitely silicone in Autoglym super resin polish.

I thought it was silicone-free to start with, but their website confirms it does contain it.