River Stour navigation connected?

Ssscrudddy

Featured Posts

Quick question, is the River Stour connected to the rest of the system & navigable by narrowboat?

Which one? There are at least five River Stours in England. One which was connected to the Staffs & Worcs Canal and may still be navigable locally at its confluence with the Severn is the Worcestershire Stour. In reality though I think the practical answer to your question is 'no' for any River Stour.

JP

I guess it depends on the definition of connected. I have been on that Stour on at least four vessels rather larger than a narrowboat.

Well yes, but given the OP is on a narrow boat in Northampton for their purpose it's unconnected.

Lol, & there was me hoping for an easy answer to a 'simple' question, which is probably why I couldn't work it out for myself.

For clarity I'm thinking near Manningtree, licence is irrelevant cuz I'd buy the separate licence if necessary, but Gazza has it correct, I'd want to go from Northampton on my narrowboat (which is 58'). Blame the missus, it's her question.

Lol, & there was me hoping for an easy answer to a 'simple' question, which is probably why I couldn't work it out for myself.

For clarity I'm thinking near Manningtree, licence is irrelevant cuz I'd buy the separate licence if necessary, but Gazza has it correct, I'd want to go from Northampton on my narrowboat (which is 58'). Blame the missus, it's her question.

an Anglia region licence covers the short section that mechanical propelled vessels can use the Stour.

Did you know you can get 2 x 7 day reciprocal with the Thames on an EA Anglia region licence?

My local River Stour (East Kent) had a narrowboat on it last year. To get to it from the main system would be a crane-in job, or a trip down the Thames, around North Foreland and into the river via Pegwell Bay. The cruising range on the river is just a few miles and it is narrow and twisty.

I live in Manningtree and I can definitely say it isn't connected to the canal system else our boat would be down here! Also it's not navigable to the sea as there's a barrage and sluices in the way too so you can't come in that way either :)

Coupled with the fact they certainly don't allow many, if any, powered boats on it kinds of puts the dampener on things :)