Barton Turns to Coventry Basin

BenG500

Featured Posts

Hi all! Just this weekend gone my old man and I did four days on our boat from Barton Turns Marina to Coventry Basin. I stumbled across this site just today while seeking as answer for the large numbers of coconuts floating through Coventry. As a keen boater and something of an amateur blogger (chosen topic: modern board games) I thought I'd sign up and share our journey.

01d37284b9fa358e27898539e75955f78329f5d80b

01868ca7de6bedaac38272d41c7d3624112d234e83

Our first day, Friday, we set off from Barton about 11am. Chilly but calm, it was ideal conditions. Despite setting my out-of-office to "I will not be answering emails." somehow my company iPhone pinged to alert me to 11 unread messages. Dad's phone was ringing and buzzing pretty quickly as news spread about the boat fire at Barton which happened just a couple hours after we left. While our boat isn't moored up anywhere near, if it was been happening as we were preparing to set off it no doubt it would have delayed our departure.

Progress was pretty slow up to Fradley as were at the back of a queue of boats, behind a first time hire-boat crew who readily admitted to me at one lock that they "had no idea what they were doing." They asked some advice which I readily gave, especially about how to minimise their boat being throw around when going up locks. I don't know other boater's experiences but our own are that certain locks on the T&M between Barton and Fradley are particularly fierce and I suppose it must catch people out when they go back onboard to find all the cupboard doors thrown open.

After a much needed recuperative pint at the Swan we turned onto the Coventry and moored up just shy of King's Orchard Marina. Dinner eaten and news watched, time to indulge my second passion beside narrowboats.

Board games.

01167a0e2a65a1bef24299f73e969566f49dc30f1f

01f18f91ed49c6375e554ba177a018a0cb77835a2e

Friday night's game of choice was The Castles of Burgundy. A modern classic, despite its admittedly drab exterior it's a very tactical game that rewards careful planning and play. Players are 15th century princes of Burgundy seeking to exploit and improve the land in their estates, building towns and silver mines, rearing livestock and conducting trade. It was a win for me and dad enjoyed the game all the same but was critical of it's artwork and colour scheme. This is a common complaint of Castles of Burgundy, and is one of many reasons I'll be looking to sell or trade it later this year.

01f5ce6b2495a99685b2db7319847cae8314e99157

01aa29594fea7f5e98c15dac5b48a77304403976b6

The next day was fairly quiet and uneventful, we went up Glascote Locks without issue, and moored about a mile before the first of the Atherstone Locks.

01b167629c82e4840123b2c7357e7de0d8ffab0d11

01c4bbeff73c53795f015d1545fc038437c83624ad

01c94bd741bb98e21fc9abe43b60f96cb5a3f8bb25

01513190cf5e05ef30f1e6a620609d4e46285bf116

Saturday night's entertainment couldn't have been any different from the muted colours and medieval theme of the previous night, as new release Terraforming Mars hit the table. Players control corporations with a hand in the terraforming of the Red Planet, turning it from a lifeless desert into a thriving new world. Using cards that represent various events and technologies (all somewhat grounded in real science and theory) players try to increase the planet's temperature, oxygen and surface water while also building cities and other infrastructure.

It all sounds quite complex but the actual core rules are relatively simple, Dad picked it up pretty quickly and before long was dropping asteroids onto the surface not only to increase the temperature but also to destroy my budding supply of plant life! I managed to squeeze out a win, but I was hounded all the way round the scoring track.

01c7a2b35209d5c9d3117cf7dcf86f099d91bb8510

01ee75807d9e94da0abbdb28d200230f8735abbf9e

Day three, Sunday, and Atherstone Flight was the main event. Once again we found all but one of the locks set against us but thankfully the final four had volunteers on. Informing them of our destination, two gave very negative reviews and recommended against staying overnight in the basin. The other two were more positive, conceding that while all cities have their bad spots, with Coventry Basin being outside of the city center and more of a commercial hub than a night-life hub it was actually rather quiet. Talk on the boat mainly focused on last night's Martian exploits, with Dad asking about how to improve his tactics for a second game that night.

We moored up after Nuneaton once we'd found a spot away from the railway.

And play again we did! This time it was much more competitive and we were closely matched the whole game. I pipped him on the final turn as I had enough money to build two last cities, but we both scored higher than the previous nights and the gap between us was much smaller. I am sure had we played a third game he would have finally beat me!

019ae37d22ff9da51c2d16c339220f0c4a018842f8

01753eb8625440597f23951e6b7c9c10a9389d44bd

Monday, and the stretch of the Coventry after the junction with the Ashby was virgin territory for me. After noticing coconuts floating in the canal we started to count them, wondering if up ahead there might be a load of palm trees overhanging the canal, but it wasn't until Google brought me here today I found the answer. As we came into Coventry the canal varied wildly in quality, at points being almost choked with leaves and debris, and sometimes completely clean with clear water and devoid of rubbish. A few shopping trolleys and a rather decayed suitcase provided navigational obstacles, as did the wind inside Coventry Basin as I turned the boat around before mooring up.

I got my train back to Nottingham while Dad waited for his friend to arrive for the return leg. All-in-all a very enjoyable four days, some great father-son time and I can cross another completed canal off my list!

Thanks for posting, and welcome.

Do you trade in these games?

I'm just a gamer, but games I own that don't (or won't) get played get culled annually and there are always other board gamers willing to buy them or trade their own unwanted games. This trip was something of a "last chance" for Castles of Burgundy as it wasn't well received by my fiancee or my friends, as such it's unlikely to ever get chosen for play!

Hi there and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for making your own decision about visiting the basin at the end.

I'm a member of The Coventry Canal Society and we regularly take our ex FMC boat Panther down the five and a half miles from Sutton Stop to the basin. We drag out as much of the rubbish as we can, but the offenders seem to do a night shift as well.

Haste ye back

Nice to see lockies at atherstone giving out duff info!

The cov five and a half is a lovely stretch and more people should head down there, if you have the time, about 5 hours round trip it's well worth it.

Some parts are a little dirty but of the five times I have been down there I have never had any issues and stayed overnight in the basin a couple times.

It's funny, I was only saying to the Mrs last night how nobody seems to play board games anymore.

We did a cruise form Wigrams Turn to Coventry and back in July. Although I'm glad we did it, I'm not sure whether I'd do the bit into Coventry again. To be honest we were all a bit disappointed with the basin, a bit depressing we thought. We, too, wondered about the coconuts.

They could have bloomin' well called in "Chateaux of Burgundy" for a little more authenticity, and provided miniature wine bottles as counters.

Actually, I have a game called Viticulture that's about running a Tuscan vineyard and making wine. The players' score markers are corks and the marker for annual income is a wine bottle.

I'm a member of The Coventry Canal Society and we regularly take our ex FMC boat Panther down the five and a half miles from Sutton Stop to the basin. We drag out as much of the rubbish as we can, but the offenders seem to do a night shift as well.

Haste ye back

I can imagine it feels like a never ending battle sometimes. Like I said, some stretches were so clear I could almost see the bottom!

Great post. I'll have to Google the board game.

Welcome smile.png

Thanks!

Ben, do you play Monopoly?

Haven't we all at some point? I actually have the Star Wars Collectors Edition with pewter characters and brass coins! That said, a game of Monopoly when I was a student was what prompted me to look into more modern board games three years ago and I have to say that, compared to what's out there now, Monopoly is an objectively awful game. It's too long, too random, too confrontational, player elimination sucks and almost everyone plays with their own house rules which invariably make the game even worse. The awfulness of Monopoly warrants a thread all of it's own however, so I won't digress further right now!

Nice to see lockies at atherstone giving out duff info!

The cov five and a half is a lovely stretch and more people should head down there, if you have the time, about 5 hours round trip it's well worth it.

Some parts are a little dirty but of the five times I have been down there I have never had any issues and stayed overnight in the basin a couple times.

It's funny, I was only saying to the Mrs last night how nobody seems to play board games anymore.

I text my dad the next day to ask if their overnight stay was fine, he joked that they "kept a night watch" but in all seriousness he said it was a very peaceful night. I might be tooting my own hobby horn but board games are currently in something of a Golden Age, the market value and sales of board games have been going up for fifteen years straight. Board game cafes are becomes more popular (we have two in Nottingham) and since book shops like Waterstones are selling modern games now, they're becoming more mainstream. I used to play a lot of online video games as a teenager but since getting into board games, I haven't touched my PC for anything other than renewing my car insurance. In a world with more and more screens, tablets and digital devices they're an excellent way of getting everyone to switch off, sit round a table and delight in pushing little wooden bits around a board.

Haste ye back

Must be about 20 years since we ventured down there and I thought then how promising the basin looked and was excited for its future. We had quite a nice visit actually, and the little motor museum is remembered very fondly by the kids.

I've not deliberately avoided going back, it's just that we haven't been that way, but photos I've seen and things I've read (probably here as much as anywhere) haven't made me want to go out of my way. I shall though, and soon, because the more boats that use it the more likely it is to attract local support and the greater reward your good society will get for your sterling efforts. The canal and basin really ought to be one of the jewels in Coventry's crown.

Well here's a thought for the Coventry 5 1/2 ..... how about a board game themed on it?

Between us all we could identify the

-problem spots

-historically interesting spots

-score points for meeting Panther and helping the crew drag out stolen bicycles

-earn extra ones for getting a complete collection of all the different brands of supermarket trolleys

-visit all of the nearby touristy bits to the basin

-record how few on the tow path ignore you, most are very friendly and applaud boats passing by.

It is looking a bit sad for itself, even more so this time of the year. Crap shops dont help, im not sure the hire fleet is the right thing either.

At least that is getting a few more people down there

Could be a lovely place, but then if its not being used enough then nobody will invest.

Always been a sad sort of spot in the past 20 years that I have visited

Thank you Ben for sharing! We'll soon be on our way to the Ashby, therefore it would be great to do a detour!

Coventry Council are missing a great trick!

Well here's a thought for the Coventry 5 1/2 ..... how about a board game themed on it?

Between us all we could identify the

-problem spots

-historically interesting spots

-score points for meeting Panther and helping the crew drag out stolen bicycles

-earn extra ones for getting a complete collection of all the different brands of supermarket trolleys

-visit all of the nearby touristy bits to the basin

-record how few on the tow path ignore you, most are very friendly and applaud boats passing by.

That's a really good idea - it could be a money spinner for the Coventry Canal Trust (or similar). We'd buy a couple of the games!

You need to read this:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84513

about my love for the Awful Green Things From Outer Space.

It also contains a link to an earlier topic about board games in general.

That brought back some memories. Played AGTFOS a lot when I was in Falklands with the RAF back in the 80s

Haven't we all at some point? I actually have the Star Wars Collectors Edition with pewter characters and brass coins! That said, a game of Monopoly when I was a student was what prompted me to look into more modern board games three years ago and I have to say that, compared to what's out there now, Monopoly is an objectively awful game. It's too long, too random, too confrontational, player elimination sucks and almost everyone plays with their own house rules which invariably make the game even worse. The awfulness of Monopoly warrants a thread all of it's own however, so I won't digress further right now!

I love Monopoly and was in the UK's first world championship. Ended up playing against Gyles Brandreth

post-9683-0-98352500-1477573717_thumb.jpg

Never had any trouble in he Basin. Go there once or twice a year. Keep your speed down and your prop in deep water. Throttle back or off under bridges

The Latvian shop there is the only place I have ever found buttermilk in the UK.

Edited by Maffi

Some more events might help in the basin, floating market a couple of times a year maybe, problem is with the hire fleet taking up one arm it only leaves space for maybe 10 boats, of course the moorings just outside can take a few more.

The hire fleet is a bit of a double edged sword, whilst it takes up mooring space, it provides boating activity in the basin, and increases to use of the canal between there a Hawkesbury. Overall for me it is a good thing.