Eberspacher v Webasto

fudd

Featured Posts

Thinking of installing one or the other. Probably only three rads. Opinions please.

Steve P

Much of a muchness but I find webasto easier to get bits for on fleabay so usualy go for Webasto but still much of a muchness.

Tim

I've noticed that since the excise duty changed and red diesel became more refined than the old fuel oil (maybe unconnected but seemed to happen around the same time) there appear to be far less folk unhappy with their webberslutters.

A good thing methinks.

We've had an Eberspacher on Trojan since she was built 10 years ago. It's fine once it gets going - but we have found that it won't start unless the batteries are really well charged up. We've had fewer problems since Springwood Haven fitted new, upgraded leisure batteries in the boat two years ago - perhaps they hold their charge better than the previous ones, I don't know.

I agree. We've got four rads but one is tiny and after an hour and a half the webasto starts cycling. I plan to replace the smallest radiator with a significantly larger one.

The situation isn't ideal but its one we inherited.

My set up is about the same, except my Eber gets there in about an hour. By then though, the water is hot, the boat is warm and the stove is up to speed whether waking up or starting from scratch. So my Eber tends to work hard in 1 hour bursts, which I think it's very happy with. I find that combination of heater and stove pretty close to ideal.

• Greenie 1

What would be sufficient to make the heater work?

10% above the stated output, unless like some of the previous posters you only use it in short bursts, cycling is what happens when there is insufficient heat dump, the heater cycles up and down and on and off leading to premature coking up and additional service costs. Also on a new unit under warranty it is grounds for warranty claim rejection. If you want to drop me a PM I wil send you a copy of the marine install manual which explains all of the requirements for an efficient and reliable install.

These things a brilliant for taking the chill off before you go to work and come home and light the stove but expect more of them and you will be in for higher service costs and disappointment, and that comes from somebody who makes a living selling and installing them, but to answer your initial question as to make and model I would suggest a Webasto Thermo Top E at 4.2kw, the C usually fitted is over gunned, and I mean a proper narrowboat model that will tolerate low voltages and not some ebay cheapo vehicle unit which will not.

Edited by NMEA

Doing what?

Cycling. Yes, it's got its own bike.

As NMEA describes it realises the incoming water is almost as hot as its outgoing water so it goes through its shutdown routine. Once it has closed down it immediately starts up again because the remote controller is still in the "on" position. Repeat until human intervention takes place.

Thanks. I may have to rethink my system.

I have a back boiler and gravity fed system and I can't link a pumped system to it. Unless anyone knows better.

Steve P.

Heat exchanger so the two systems have their own separate circuits.

If you go for Eberspacher the DW10 is not suitable for a NB and will not run on red diesel. The DW5 will run about 4.5 kw of rads and a towel rail.

The only reason the 10 is not suitable for a narrowboat is they are 10kw, much too high an output, they run perfectly well on ULS red diesel though. Plenty of them on larger boats, tanks, coaches et. al. performing well (for an Eberspacher anyway)