Canal Ware???

Ex-Member

Featured Posts

Not sure if this is the correct forum - so apologies if it has to be moved.

I found these 3 cannisters in a charity shop and wondered if they could be canal ware. Either way they are unusual and have some age to them. The cannister is ceramic, with wooden lid, and the decoration is hand painted but the unusual thing is that there is a 'loop' which carries a small wooden spoon. All 3 are intact. They drew my attention because they looked like canal/barge ware and, at the price, I couldn't resist buying them.

post-25312-0-71512900-1477209842_thumb.jpgpost-25312-0-71348500-1477209882_thumb.jpg

What do you mean by 'Canal Ware'?

If you mean something painted by someone in the Roses and Castles style then yes it looks like it.

If you mean was used historically on a narrow boat then no, it most probably isn't.

...but, if you like them, they were cheap and they're practical (they look as if they would make a good tea/coffee/sugar set, indeed that may have been their purpose) then use them and enjoy them. Perhaps they were painted for sale in a hire-boat base's gift shop.

What do you mean by 'Canal Ware'?

I

If you mean was used historically on a narrow boat then no, it most probably isn't.

No I didn't mean that. They are far too new.

...but, if you like them, they were cheap and they're practical (they look as if they would make a good tea/coffee/sugar set, indeed that may have been their purpose) then use them and enjoy them. Perhaps they were painted for sale in a hire-boat base's gift shop.Yes

Yes I think that is exactly what their purpose is (especially as one smells of coffeedetective.gif ) I just wondered if anyone had seen anything like them before. I probably would not have noticed them had I not become interested in buying a narrow boat so it seemed a coincidence. Plus they were only 50p each!

Nothing wrong with a Nespresso machine!!

It's the quality of the coffee in the pod.

If you drink enough of it, you end up getting the same pulling power as George Clooney

Col

The problem (or advantage) with the Nespresso machine is its consistency.

Personally I don't want the same cup of coffee every time I drink one.

Are they not the equivalent of cassettes?

No it's the mechanisation of the process that I was referring to, separating you from the process.

The problem (or advantage) with the Nespresso machine is its consistency.

Personally I don't want the same cup of coffee every time I drink one.

No it's the mechanisation of the process that I was referring to, separating you from the process.

You can buy mixed grind coffee flavored and makes on eBay.

I have to admit, don't have many hot ladies knocking on my door tho to check out my canal wares

Col

Edited by bigcol