Wi Fi Aerial

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

No I'm not in the same location as the op but where my boat is my phone outside gets no 3 or 4g signal at all but the aerial router combination picks up a good 3G signal.

Well my 3 dongle works fine in the boat in Braunston, now if I want to use the phone well that is another story.

• 3 months later...

Hello again peeps just resurecting this thread to hope for some answers again. Right as before in this location signals are crap and I still cannot get any internet reception in my boat on any phone including my wifes and my own o2 jobbies. However a friend today lending me her dongle only to try and its an o2 dongle so same people and I am getting a fast internet connection with it!! Ok so I am going out later to buy one but why the hell does an o2 dongle work and an o2 fonr or any other fone doesnt work ont tinternet...........confused .com?

Hello again peeps just resurecting this thread to hope for some answers again. Right as before in this location signals are crap and I still cannot get any internet reception in my boat on any phone including my wifes and my own o2 jobbies. However a friend today lending me her dongle only to try and its an o2 dongle so same people and I am getting a fast internet connection with it!! Ok so I am going out later to buy one but why the hell does an o2 dongle work and an o2 fonr or any other fone doesnt work ont tinternet...........confused .com?

Same with 3

I had better than normal signal of EE when I was moored at Lower Heyford before Xmas so presume the had boosted their signal.

Hi was it dongle or Fone please? If you moor opposite the church at Lower Heyford directly you get 4 g but one boat length away you get no g blink.png The area is a nightmare.

Hi was it dongle or Fone please? If you moor opposite the church at Lower Heyford directly you get 4 g but one boat length away you get no g blink.png The area is a nightmare.

Back the dark and dismal days when NBs had Lister or Petter engines and not much else some folks communicated via morse (not that one) code because speech communication was poor (I'm talking about radio hams).

Jump ahead to today when everything is transparent and nobody understands anything anyway, the same principal applies. I haven't got the right words, but speech on a phone works well on the lower frequencies/power from the nearby (!) mast whereas t'inernet doesn't. The former is 2g and latter 3 or 4g both of which require3 more power in the phone and on the mast as well.

Just seen your latest - must be The Good Lord looking after his own, or a transmitter in the bell tower (The C of E needs income from such sources.

The solution (if there really is any in the wilds of Oxenforshire) is to:-

Speak very nicely to certain persons on the other side of the cut and setup a WiFi link to the boat

Or

Get a dongle with an aerial socket an external aerial-

a simple whip type, like this:-http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Useful-RP-SMA-2-4GHz-7-DBI-Wireless-Wifi-WLAN-Router-5X-Range-Booster-Antenna-BF/371711518133?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D2220071%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40865%26meid%3D36aab66641e54411ae321414c367a0c6%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D290622367812

a yagi (tv aerial on a much smaller scale) like this type not this particular one

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-4GHz-16dBi-Wifi-Yagi-Antenna-Booster-Wireless-LAN-RP-SMA-5m-cable-for-Linksys/290622367812?_trksid=p2045573.c100642.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D38661%26meid%3Dc48cf9576680481ca1679d59002456bf%26pid%3D100642%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

something compound in a white box -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/35dBi-3G-4G-LTE-Dual-MIMO-ANTENNA-BOOSTER-AERIAL-TS9-plug-Cable-Telstra-Huawei-S/151988455141?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D40865%26meid%3D306e37ef34f147bbb39ce3a451d58f5b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D252511010579

The above are just indications of the type and not the specifics, because all these styles have specific models for WiFi or MiFi

Torksey Lock is the same. Yo have to be in just the right spot.

Or go to the pub and use their wifi.

Hi was it dongle or Fone please? If you moor opposite the church at Lower Heyford directly you get 4 g but one boat length away you get no g :blink: The area is a nightmare.

I was tethering off a tablet that has since packed up. Was moored by the church and the visitor mooring by the water point. The tablet would not get a signal here at Enslow although neighbour had good signal. Have since got a T link 4g life and have good 4g. Will be interesting to see what happens when I am next at Heyford.

I was tethering off a tablet that has since packed up. Was moored by the church and the visitor mooring by the water point. The tablet would not get a signal here at Enslow although neighbour had good signal. Have since got a T link 4g life and have good 4g. Will be interesting to see what happens when I am next at Heyford.

Cheers for that. I am sat on my mooring here at ox narrowboats a terrible signal spot but with this o2 mifi dongle jobby I am on lightning 4g and actualy on line now in the boat which is usualy a big no/no. I am off to buy one when I give young bones this one back........if she can prize it from me

Cheers for that. I am sat on my mooring here at ox narrowboats a terrible signal spot but with this o2 mifi dongle jobby I am on lightning 4g and actualy on line now in the boat which is usualy a big no/no. I am off to buy one when I give young bones this one back........if she can prize it from me

Give her my love while your at it.

Aha. Are you also using the aerial on a stick connected to it, or just the dongle itself?

Aha. Are you also using the aerial on a stick connected to it, or just the dongle itself?

he isn't ha ha ha ha ha! i am now using it - poor Timmy is weeping along the cut (last seen springing over the hedges to buy his own). It seems to work, mostly, without the ariel and it doesn't need the great stick of the north either... I am hoping EE will end up being good around here in due course. 02 needs some competition.

Give her my love while your at it.

thank you! I grinned. I hope we meet this year soon! :)

I'm learning through work that there's a lot of factors that come into whether or not a mobile phone or wifi works.

The O2 mifi might well be picking up a frequency your phone just can't get, for example.

The Ofcom Sitefinder database has been closed - this one gives an idea of coverage without showing the cell sites. I'd set it 'indoors' for the best view of what's possibly there.

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/mobile-coverage

Edited by twbm