How much artistic licence? (Just a bit of fun)

Chertsey

Featured Posts

Looks like the Wolverhampton 21 to me, in which case the horse will be working the butty to save bow hauling.

George ex nb Alton retired

Most definitely is Wolverhampton 21 and I had the same thought since I pointed out in another thread recently that horses could be hired at Wolverhampton to help work butties through the flight after motor boats had replaced horses in general. Trouble is that it then struck me that the butty is attached by the lightest, thinnest and frankly invisibleist line ever. Maybe that's the artistic licence in this photo.

Went through here in the summer with my lad and when we were at this lock I asked him to take a look around and remember the view as I was aware of this painting. He recognised it from the painting; largely because it's totally unchanged today. ?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Was it a Davenports pub?

I don't know, however Google shows mention of it on many websites and Brinklow seems to have a couple of community sites which could answer your question possibly.

I went in it once around 1979 after returning from a fortnight holiday in a 20ft Dolphin to Oxford and back ...... it rained every day.

A couple of Barley wines at The Railway seemed the only thing to do, so we did.

Yes. But he means the butty that he assumes is buttying the motor and would be out of the picture to the left.

JP

Ah, gotcha. Having looked at the pic enlarged, so what folk mean about an invisible towing line, then. Position of horse and the swingle tree don't make a lot of sense if the butty is out of frame to the left, seems to me.