Gleniffer DB2 rebuild

RLWP

Featured Posts

An occasional series on an unusual engine...

I've just had the block of this engine stitch welded to remove a long frost crack. It's a process I have heard of, this is my first experience of having this done:

Stitch-welding-1.jpg

Stitch-welding-2.jpg

I'm very impressed!

Richard

I've just had the block of this engine stitch welded to remove a long frost crack. It's a process I have heard of, this is my first experience of having this done:

Stitch-welding-1.jpg

Stitch-welding-2.jpg

I'm very impressed!

Richard

Ok why that method, rather than what I would consider a normal looking weld?

Welding cast iron is hard because it is a brittle material. If you just run a weld, as the bead cools, it puts the surrounding metal into tension and cracks it. There is an alternative method, which is to get the area to a red heat, then weld it.

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Welding cast iron is hard because it is a brittle material. If you just run a weld, as the bead cools, it puts the surrounding metal into tension and cracks it. There is an alternative method, which is to get the area to a red heat, then weld it.

Richard

Ok I didn't know that was cast, I am aware cast is not easy to weld, I can see the point now, thanks

Stitch-welding-1.jpg

Stitch-welding-2.jpg

I'm very impressed!

Richard

Way back early 60's the water jacket on my "Seffle" was frost cracked,( that way on purchase) a friend of mine was one of the first (as far as I know) to take on the method of repair which AFAIK was then a sort of franchise,he continued for many years & did many repairs & didn't hear of any failures & the "Seffle" still going in Jem bates"s boat

Nice. Was this a cold process?

Not trying to be klever. but when it is cold, I thought it just "stitched" and not "welded" so I am interested to know if there are other processes.

I wish I knew the answer!

Richard

One of these car make over programmes had an engine block stitched. An old MG if I remember.

I think they showed the process.

I 'think' the programme is/was Car SOS or summat.

Martyn

Edit. Just looked it up. Car SOS. Channel 4. I think it was a MGA.

Edited by Nightwatch