What Boat Haulier Do You Recommend?

Froggy

Featured Posts

Folks, we're in the process of buying a boat in the Lea Valley (Hertfordshire) area, and due to time restraints and other logistics we are now seriously considering having the boat trailered across to the K&A, probably to Hilperton or Devizes. In another thread I started, this topic came up and A B Tuckey were mentioned as a major player in this business, but I just thought I'd see if there are any other companies that also have a good reputation. We had initially planned to sail the boat across ourselves, so this is an unforseen expense and we need to keep costs as low as possible without risking damage to the boat. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

there are a couple of boat movers on this forum that will take it by water probably cheaper than paying for crane out at Stanstead abotts £400 transport about £400 then crane back in £400? but if you are in a rush then Ray Bowen is the man I used and found him great to deal with.

Neil

there are a couple of boat movers on this forum that will take it by water probably cheaper than paying for crane out at Stanstead abotts £400 transport about £400 then crane back in £400? but if you are in a rush then Ray Bowen is the man I used and found him great to deal with.

Neil

Thanks Neil, but as per another thread i started a couple of days ago, the logistics are heavily against bringing the boat through the network due to impending lock closures etc.

Thanks to everyone for all the input to this topic. I'll be making a few phone calls tomorrow, although the boat needs to come through the survey before we make any further decisions.

Ive used( http://hutchinson-uk.co.uk/)at Tuxford for moving 2 Narrowboats in last 2 years,

Polite, efficient, excellent service, and a great price, ask them about moving on a return trip and price is even better,if you're a tad flexible on timings.

No connection with company, other than satisfied customer

Tuckeys brought my 42 footer from Daventry to Grangemouth. Very pleased with the service, their driver updated me with his journey for time of arrival as he travelled.

Tuckeys have moved three boats for me at different times. Couldn't fault them on any occasion.

Another vote for Tuckey, who transported my WB from Watford to Ely. The day before I was due to be put in at Upware, there was a problem with the crane, and Monica, who I was dealing with at Tuckey, was most helpful in sorting out another crane nearby. I can't comment on whether their price was competitive, as they came recommended, seemed very professional, so I never shopped around.

Edited by LoneEcho

Tuckeys and Ray Bowern are the two we're most likely to consider based on these recommendations. But this is all academic until we've had the boat surveyed, and here we are at an impasse. All the surveyors highly recommended in these forums - Steve Hand, Trevor Whitling, Tony Tucker - are booked up for weeks. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited by Froggy

Tuckeys have lifted/moved my boats on several occasions and they are more expensive that others but they do what they say they will do, when they said they will do it. Hard to put a value on that.

I once tried to book a crane and lorry from another firm who failed to respond to my calls. Had they eventually called back I wouldn't have trusted them to turn up.

Tuckeys and Ray Bowern are the two we're most likely to consider based on these recommendations. But this is all academic until we've had the boat surveyed, and here we are at an impasse. All the surveyors highly recommended in these forums - Steve Hand, Trevor Whitling, Tony Tucker - are booked up for weeks. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Craig Allen?

http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk

I found him to be very good when he surveyed DQ for me. Also includes a free BSS inspection.

He is based in Crick, so there may be additional travel costs.

Craig Allen?

http://craig-allen-marine.co.uk

I found him to be very good when he surveyed DQ for me. Also includes a free BSS inspection.

He is based in Crick, so there may be additional travel costs.

Ah, yes, i knew there was someone else in that list. Yes, i've contacted him also, and i think it was just a bit too far out of his area, either that or that he was tied up with work locally. Why does there seem to be a surfeit of good surveyors in the Northants area at the expense of elsewhere? Or maybe there are just more members on these forums from that area. Either way, i've read thread after thread now, and most of the names that crop up are based around Northants.

Why does there seem to be a surfeit of good surveyors in the Northants area at the expense of elsewhere? Or maybe there are just more members on these forums from that area. Either way, i've read thread after thread now, and most of the names that crop up are based around Northants.

Probably because of the high number of marinas around there, and hence boats. I guess that a large percentage of the 30,000 odd boats on CRT's waters are within 50 miles of Northants.

Probably because of the high number of marinas around there, and hence boats. I guess that a large percentage of the 30,000 odd boats on CRT's waters are within 50 miles of Northants.

Yeah, i guess that figures. We are new to boating and weren't aware that such a high proportion of the marinas were around there.