Oh Dear... (Deep Cuttings Junction)

Captain Pegg

Featured Posts

I wonder how long the list would be if we could find them all.

You know, I don't want to see them all written down

Or do I? I suppose it would challenge all those 'official' names for things that get trotted out in lazy press releases and books

Richard

Edited by RLWP

You know, I don't want to see them all written down

Or do I? I suppose it would challenge all those 'official' names for things that get trotted out in lazy press releases and books

Richard

What about official changes like "Alf's Lock" on the Lea and Snort

What was it before? And why Alf's?

Richard

I knew some one would say that and now I will have to look it up. The reason was Alf was the long term lock keeper and still lives by the lock

Edit

Here is a photo I took

post-261-0-07321400-1477168053_thumb.jpg

post-261-0-42270800-1477168097_thumb.jpg

Edited by ditchcrawler

Heard of walking on water but never cycling on it . Have CRT heard about boats or are they hoping to phase them out ....... would make the waterways a lot neater don't you know, no need to mend those pesky locks or dredge the canals.I wonder who cycled over there to put the signs up? Bunny.

I think the "float this way" sign is the boating reference.

Quite ironic to encounter you on a thread about Deep Cutting/Old Turn Junction. You may recall that's were we first met when you tried to overtake us at the start of the BCN Challenge and Rob-M forced you into collision with the island. He's a hooligan. That's why I have invited him to join me again next year. ???

Ha! I think it was mostly our fault... coming round the corner it hadn't 100% entered my (as yet insufficiently caffeined) consciousness that you were heading off that way. You were faster down Farmer's Bridge than us anyway. ;)

• 5 months later...

I am bumping this thread as I have discovered this sign, which is still in situ, has planning permission until 13th February 2022.

It was originally stated that the sign was temporary for the Conservative party conference in October 2016. To my mind it is an inappropriate use of one of central Birmingham's historic canal landmarks over such a period of time. I have just attempted to start a poll with the question "Should CRT remove this sign?" but I can't see a way to attach a photo which I think is necessary so I didn't post it.

What are the views of folk on the forum?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I am bumping this thread as I have discovered this sign, which is still in situ, has planning permission until 13th February 2022

Which sign is it JP? Can you repost the photo cos it's a bummer to search all the thread on a phone and I think I might like to agree with you! :D

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which sign is it JP? Can you repost the photo cos it's a bummer to search all the thread on a phone and I think I might like to agree with you! :D

The one in the post number 1 although I appreciate it is hard to find posts by number these days.

IMG_0599.JPG

Edited by Captain Pegg

4 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The one in the post number 1 although I appreciate it is hard to find posts by number these days.

IMG_0599.JPG

Ah, I thought it might be that one. I passed it over the weekend,  remembered the photo on here which looked like a photoshop mash up and thought how naff it actually looked in the flesh! Campaign away!

(And I confess I really should learn to do stuff with this new forum software. I have done a 'my feed' thing, but I rather hoped something as 'new user unfriendly' as this would have gone by now, so I have resisted putting the effort in!) :(

2 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

IMG_0599.JPG

I also assumed this was a poor Photoshop job. :)

It's truly gross - another attempt at CRT does Disneyland.

After a baptism of fire with a trip trying to take "Flamingo" around much of the Northern reaches of the BCN, I think CRT need to focus on the state of the waterways it seeks to promote, rather than the hype.

Today we have been aground in excess of an hour in the Rushall flight at a point you might reasonably expected a working boat should be capable of floating, before finding the bottom pound impassable without pinching water from higher up.  I have also after more than an hour failed to clear the prop foul just picked up in Nechell's stop lock, still uncertain of what I can do to get going tomorrow.

CRT should not erect signs in Birmingham saying "Float this way", unless it is truly their desire than the Main Line remains passable whilst most other BCN waterways are demoted back to "remainder"status.