Wooden boat remains

Pluto

Featured Posts

Laurence sorry but I must be having a thick moment

These pictures are both labelled as being hawtreys pit but clearly they are taken at different places.

Darren

These pictures are both labelled as being hawtreys pit but clearly they are taken at different places.

Darren

Darren, the left is Sutton Weaver level lock at Dutton, the right is Hawtreys.

A few photos of boat remains in the Sprinch, the colour two in 1976, the first by the old Simpson Davies yard, IIRC. The last is from the Waterways Archive collection.

gallery_6938_2_189264.jpg

On of the Statters or bastard boats built for use on the MB&BC.

gallery_6938_2_31396.jpg

gallery_6938_2_62538.jpg

you also forgot The Daresbury Mersey Flat in Sutton Level Locks near Frodsham, Dear Mr McDonnell,

Your enquiry about the Weaver Flat Daresbury was passed to me to answer your enquiry. Apologies for the delay in replying but I needed to check the details about Daresbury with one of our very longstanding volunteers who has been involved with the museum since its beginnings and he is currently in Australia.

The following information is from Mike:

Daresbury is an important craft and has been known to the Museum since its inception. Originally when the Museum was set up by the Boat Museum Society (BMS) over 40 years ago, there was an initial plan to raise the boat from where it had been sunk, but this was later shelved when the logistics and the costs were fully explored.

As a Museum we would now view that a conservation route would be best followed rather than restoration. However the Museum and BMS have over the years gathered much material about the Daresbury through further research. Indeed the Society was instrumental in getting the craft fully recorded so that it would be possible to build a replica at some time in the future. However this would require something of the order of £400-500,00.

What are they like now? Both pictures were taken around 1985. The first is of the remains of clinker built keels on the Ouse, opposite Goole. There are very few remains of clinker keels, which ceased being built around 1900. The heads of the iron clenching spikes tended to get worn down in locks, etc.

gallery_6938_2_119944.jpg

The next are L&LC boats sunk for bank protection on the Asland, the tidal Douglas. For those who remember him, it is Nigel Carter, owner of NB George, on the right.

gallery_6938_2_60561.jpg

Eustace Carry Mersey Flat Remains in 2014. The Eustace Carry was built at Clare And Ridgeway Sankey In 1905

What are they like now? Both pictures were taken around 1985. The first is of the remains of clinker built keels on the Ouse, opposite Goole. There are very few remains of clinker keels, which ceased being built around 1900. The heads of the iron clenching spikes tended to get worn down in locks, etc.

gallery_6938_2_119944.jpg

The next are L&LC boats sunk for bank protection on the Asland, the tidal Douglas. For those who remember him, it is Nigel Carter, owner of NB George, on the right.

gallery_6938_2_60561.jpg

there is also the Eustace Carry Mersey Flat Remains at Spike Widnes, which was used to protect the river bank The Eustace Carry was built at Clare And Ridgeway Sankey In 1905

Not Much Left now of The Mersey flat Wrecks at Spike Island Widnes Photo 1 is of Mersey Flat Eustace Carry Remains at Widnes Warf Spike Island West Bank Widnes on 10th May 2016 and no 2 is of Mersey Flat Jane Remains at Widnes Warf Spike Island West Bank Widnes on 10th May 2016

If you want Eustace Carey, this was her in 1975:

gallery_6938_2_15368.jpg

makes me angry that The Eustace carry was not safed for presavition

post-27474-0-92622900-1477126826_thumb.jpg

post-27474-0-13473400-1477126899_thumb.jpg

I didn't forget Daresbury, I just wasn't talking about the boats at Sutton Level. If you want Daresbury, this is her in 1975:

gallery_6938_2_9877.jpg

hope a replica is built since historic england will not allow the daresbury to be raised and restored, which is ashame since it would looked better afloat and gracing a restored Sankey Canal

• 3 months later...

Darren

Darren

the first photo is Sutton level lock theboat on its own is The Daresbury built in 1772 and afloat till 1956

There was a boat left along the off side of the canal from the BCN at Tipton to Dudley Tunnel. What happened to that? I also recall sunken boats on the Town Arm at Walsall

That boat was raised and dumped at Tividale now buried with several others under spoil. As for the Walsall Ernie Thomas removed and broke up many at Moxley tip, others went to Birchills old arm and are still there buried.

• 1 month later...

Good news West Bank Boat Club in Widnes is finally getting rid of the burnt out boat in The Sankey Canal at Spike Island Widnes, the said boat has been sitting on the bottom of the canal since 2010 and was an eyesore, i believe its been sold to a local scrapyard, t finally gave the ghost and sank in December 2010

Burnt Boat At Spike Island Widnes on 10th April 2010.jpg

Edited by Mirithehamster
mistake

• 2 months later...

Another set of wooden boats, keels no doubt, were abandoned on the Barnsley Canal on a section in water between the Aqueduct and warehouse.

I count three at least, in this image, but there may be more on the timbers on the left.

66083.jpg

Edited by Heartland

23 hours ago, Heartland said:

The above image was from the K Gardiner Collection RCHS. Another image is of a wooden boat at Milton Creek near Sittingbourne. 

This from Hugh Compton Slide Collection RCHS

75911.jpg

There are dozens of boat wrecks in that area in all the creeks, there is even a German U boat!

This craft does deserve a better comment as does my previous image on the Barnsley.  Simply dismissing the Milton Creek wooden boat as one of many dumped in this coastal graveyard is perhaps not the best view.

(1) With the Keel, there are different types, from the shape it should be possible to decide which category, it might fall into. It is quite likely that this and the other craft left there were associated with the carrying of coal from the various mines beside that canal.

(2) With the craft on Milton Creek, this linked with the Swale and it is likely that it may have been a type of craft used on the Medway. With the visible blunt ends the implication is that  it was used on inland navigation in addition to the coastal trade.

• 2 weeks later...