Are we all sheep?

matty40s

Featured Posts

Again conjecture and not hard fact.

Of course it can only be nicknorman reporting what he knows. Now if you could arrange an open door for some or all the banned to comment on this thread would you believe them?

You seem to be in some sort of denial??

It's easy (and normal) enough, if you leave somewhere in a huff, to say you've been thrown out. Drama is always more fun, and the net is full of it. I can only speak from my own experience on here, and I've never been warned that I couldn't say anything I wanted to. It's best to treat everything you read on the net with a degree of scepticism, especially from those who appear to delight in confrontation. So I do. Anyway, I've now lost interest in this thread (and have said all I wanted to) so shall go and do something more interesting instead...

Well said Arthur. I'd give you a green thing but I've run out today.

There are some posters on this thread (I'm not in the business of naming names. You know who you are) who appear not to like the way this forum has been run recently. Decisions have been made that they don't like. Rather than accepting the situation like SHEEP they continue to whinge on and on like spoilt brats who can't get their own way.

For Gawd's sake give over or put another record on.

I can only speak from my own experience on here...It's best to treat everything you read on the net with a degree of scepticism, especially from those who appear to delight in confrontation. So I do. Anyway, I've now lost interest in this thread (and have said all I wanted to) so shall go and do something more interesting instead...

So what you're telling us is to take no notice of what you are saying because you've said it on the internet?

Surely you can only speak for yourself in those circumstances.

I prefer to take folk at face value unless of course they are making an admission like yours.

Edited by carlt

No. using someone's name and, as an indentifier, their place of origin is not racist. Just down the road from the gliding club (Scottish Highlands) is a house called "English Charlie's" - so if your shop reference is racist then so is that (it's been there for a few hundred years) but the reality is that it's only racist for people too stupid to know what racism is.

I have tried to explain to folk before that racism is about races. Most nations comprise many races.

There's a lot of fictional snippets in this thread by the same one or two people repeatedly guessing at (but stating as if fact), the apparent motivations of moderators - many of which are being falsely accused of making self-indulgent or egotistical decisions - which is simply made-up conjecture and is not just unhelpful to Dan and the mods but could be perceived as stirring up bad feeling. This is a moderated forum. Accept that and say something helpful if you'd like to influence it in a positive way. Dan has already said he'll watch this thread to glean some ideas for taking moderation forward. It's not necessary to stir and make personal gripes about assumed motivations of the volunteer moderators giving their time freely and already facing grief for individual decisions, in order to make this forum a much nicer place for the many, than it had been for a long while. (Constructive) criticism and gratitude are not mutually exclusive. Assumptions about egos and motivations adds to the bad feeling that made the forum a right miserable place to be last year or so and stifles any useful contribution you're trying to make. Matty might not have helped the case by titling the thread with what amounted to a derogatory personal insult at a named member of the forum, which somewhat drew attention away from some of the valid points his opening post was making.

I've enjoyed the forum recently. On the whole, the kind of threads that have been more heavily moderated are ones that I have avoided after reading a few posts anyway, because they've deteriorated into familiar patterns of contention. I'm not interested in that. And so their moderation has not caused me any concern or spoiled any enjoyment of the forum for me.

I have noticed a few members of the forum disappear - the only ones I've noticed were ones who used to be insulting or cause trouble - and I am thoroughly enjoying their absence. Thank you, mods. cheers.gif

If, as I read above, some members of this forum have faced warnings or been banned from here for being derogatory about CWDF people on another forum, again I am more than happy with that moderation. Backstabbing demonstrates childish playground tactics, shows a person's true colours, and it's not as if people don't talk to each other and find out. Not only that, depending on the tone of those comments there are fine lines between legal and illegal interpretation of derogatory comments, especially if they can be perceived as harassing or inciting any kind of aggression - even if just online. This is a privately owned forum and I support the owner's decision, supported by his team of moderators, if they consider that sort of person not the type of person wanted contributing to this online community too.

This is my opinion. Some will agree. Some will think it stinks. Such is life.

You are correct - you have your opinion whilst others have diametrically opposed opinions, both are entitled to their opinions.

• Greenie 1

I have tried to explain to folk before that racism is about races. Most nations comprise many races.

I maybe unusual, but I am proud to be English, British and a Suffolk swede. Now where is that racist?

Well said Arthur. I'd give you a green thing but I've run out today.

There are some posters on this thread (I'm not in the business of naming names. You know who you are) who appear not to like the way this forum has been run recently. Decisions have been made that they don't like. Rather than accepting the situation like grown ups they continue to whinge on and on like spoilt brats who can't get their own way.

For Gawd's sake give over or put another record on.

With respect, your post does seem to be something of a whinge, so there we have it, a whinge is OK for some but not for others.

Phil

• Greenie 1

I maybe unusual, but I am proud to be English, British and a Suffolk swede. Now where is that racist?

I once met a guy from Clare who told me if you want an idiot in Suffolk you'll have to bring your own, he reckoned there were plenty in Norfolk :)

So what you're telling us is to take no notice of what you are saying because you've said it on the internet?

Surely you can only speak for yourself in those circumstances.

I prefer to take folk at face value unless of course they are making an admission like yours.

This is a typical example of the kind of response that makes discussion (and entire threads)pointless.

I didn't say "take no notice". I said "treat with scepticism". If you don't know the difference, I suggest Google (although, obviously, sceptically).

One way of trying to win an argument is to start off by deliberately misquoting or misinterpreting the other person's statement, and why I really don't miss a lot of those who do it on a regular basis.

There's a logical/philosphical flaw in your last sentence, which I think was first defined about Phoenecians, though I wouldn't swear to it.

This is a typical example of the kind of response that makes discussion (and entire threads)pointless.

I didn't say "take no notice". I said "treat with scepticism". If you don't know the difference, I suggest Google (although, obviously, sceptically).

One way of trying to win an argument is to start off by deliberately misquoting or misinterpreting the other person's statement, and why I really don't miss a lot of those who do it on a regular basis.

There's a logical/philosphical flaw in your last sentence, which I think was first defined about Phoenecians, though I wouldn't swear to it.

Wow what ever you went away to do more interesting, obviously wasn't !?

• Greenie 3

I once met a guy from Clare who told me if you want an idiot in Suffolk you'll have to bring your own, he reckoned there were plenty in Norfolk smile.png

lol You may well think that but I could not possibly comment :)

lol You may well think that but I could not possibly comment :)

I've spent a lot of time and know several from both counties, it's like the difference between hair and fur - not that I have much room to crow, I'm hardly what you call metropolitan man!

anyway. earlier today i saw a slightly bedraggled looking fox by a bridge in an inaccessible place. I was out in dinghy with my children - youngest who is 4 looked sadly at the fox and said can we feed him. I said no he is a wild animal leave him he can sort it out. maybe he is old and about to die.

last thing you want in a dinghy is a fox :lol:

couple of hours later 2 fire engines and an inflatable turned up.

wtf

If you don't know the difference, I suggest Google (although, obviously, sceptically).

And this is a typical example of the kind of patronising response that answers nothing.

I shall take your advice however and treat it with the scepticism you recommend.

Edited by carlt

anyway. earlier today i saw a slightly bedraggled looking fox by a bridge in an inaccessible place. I was out in dinghy with my children - youngest who is 4 looked sadly at the fox and said can we feed him. I said no he is a wild animal leave him he can sort it out. maybe he is old and about to die.

last thing you want in a dinghy is a fox :lol:

couple of hours later 2 fire engines and an inflatable turned up.

wtf

You are London way aren't you?

Nature can be a cruel mistress, as you say the best course of action was leave it to its fate - whatever that may have been, fetching trumpton out to burn some petrol, diesel and time is plain daft

Round here the poor sod would have been harassed by plonkers from the hunt.

Especially when you are carrying a chicken and a sack of corn across the canal.

True.

I had a natter with one of the fire engine crews "what will they do with the fox?" I asked bloke said a vet will take it to the country.

A donation to one of the hunts. How nice :(

Yes I'm in London - Limehouse which is very urban.

I'm really surprised at this statement coming from you.

Thank you for that. How well do you know me?

In my opinion you protest like a grown up and acquiesce like a child.

You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong. (in my opinion!)

The forum changed for the worse because people (grown ups presumably) protested.

Myself and others are of a contrary opinion.

Why is it "whinging like a spoilt brat" if someone wants to protest for an improvement from what it has become?

Because they go on and on and on and on saying the same bl00dy thing and it's got very tedious.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

I've spent a lot of time and know several from both counties, it's like the difference between hair and fur - not that I have much room to crow, I'm hardly what you call metropolitan man!

Funny whenever I drive over the Suffolk border my accent changes to Suffolk. Exwife could not stand it, like many things she could not stand. lol

I have noticed a few members of the forum disappear - the only ones I've noticed were ones who used to be insulting or cause trouble - and I am thoroughly enjoying their absence. Thank you, mods. cheers.gif

Well said. You could have a green thing but as I said earlier I've run out today.

I was trying to think who were the posters who seemed to enjoy causing trouble but it was a bit like Kim's game, looking for something that isn't there anymore.

The forum is a better place without them and yes, I do realise other opinions are available.

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 2