The Best Dog Friendliest Pub Ever!

Featured Posts

A pretty unlikely proposition though.....don't you think.

True but it is the opposite of the comment ab out excluding people who give bad experiences. Pubs are run by people for people and the dogs are an extra, which some might want banned. Equally in the situation I suggested some dogs might want people banned.

I find some dog owners have difficulty remembering that their dogs are pet animals not furry members of the human race. It is often those people who have the problem dogs in my experience.

True but it is the opposite of the comment ab out excluding people who give bad experiences. Pubs are run by people for people and the dogs are an extra, which some might want banned. Equally in the situation I suggested some dogs might want people banned.

I find some dog owners have difficulty remembering that their dogs are pet animals not furry members of the human race. It is often those people who have the problem dogs in my experience.

Yada yada....

I find some people have an irrational diificulty in reading posts on the Internet but hey ho....

Yada yada....

I find some people have an irrational diificulty in reading posts on the Internet but hey ho....

A rather silly post if you can't attack the argument don't post it does you no favours.

Do I assume your canine is a furry human being?

A rather silly post if you can't attack the argument don't post it does you no favours.

Jerra, your alienation towards dogs is well known to me, it's pointless discussing it with you.

(I wasn't specifically referencing that post BTW. But rather one you made the other day.)

Nice to hear the Tom o the Wood is good again.

We've been going occasionally over a lot of years and it's gone from being very good to empty and back again over the years.

Glad to hear it's on the up again, gives us confidence to try it again.

Sue.

(And no we don't have a dog but used to like the pub.)

You may borrow Millie so you don't feel left out. smile.png

You may however, be left out, after taking her in. biggrin.png

Edited by Ray T

A pretty unlikely proposition though.....don't you think.

It's called a thought experiment...

Well, looking at his avatar... Who is actually posting..?

I've done a little digging on the bookshelf.

In The Canals Book, both 1973 and 1981 editions, it is "Ye Olde New Inn" (though I may have overdone the olde worlde spelling with "Inne" in my post above)

post-7909-0-09098400-1476555807_thumb.jpgpost-7909-0-59723200-1476555934_thumb.jpgpost-7909-0-70891500-1476556001_thumb.jpg

The third image is from the 1981 edition, but there was hardly any change between that and the 1973 edition so this may well be out of date by 1981.

The Nicholsons Midlands Edition, undated, but with a printing reference of NE.2/78.20, so presumably printed in 1978:

post-7909-0-57849900-1476556084_thumb.jpgpost-7909-0-09698800-1476556187_thumb.jpg

But the 1982 Good Beer Guide lists it as The Tom o' the Wood, so I guess it changed name around 1980.

Tom o' the Wood singular: http://www.tomothewood.co.uk/index

Named after a windmill, apparently

Richard

Thanks Richard - found this page... http://www.solihull.camra.org.uk/viewnode.php?id=40722

TOM O'THE WOOD, RowingtonThis pub dates back to the 17th Century when it was named TOM O'THE WOOD after a local corn mill. A change in image resulted in it becoming THE WOOD AT ROWINGTON in 2005. However by the end of 2006, common sense had prevailed and the new owners restored the original name Tom o'the Wood

Including 'Ye Olde New Inn' the pub's had many guises.

I expected 'Tom' to be a memorable character who was a woodcutter living in the wood!

Like Richard, I have visited Tom O'The Wood since 1970s - never heard of the 'Ye Olde New Inn' name.

It is at one end of 'Dick's ('Dycks'?) Lane', which links Stratford Canal and GU and makes quite an interesting canal-loop-walk from Kingswood Junction, combining both canals.

It always struck me as odd, for such a prominent canal-side pub, that my copy of Pearson's does not list the Tom as existing!

I haven't been for a while. I shall make a point of returning soon (and take the dog!)

• Greenie 1