The Best Dog Friendliest Pub Ever!

Featured Posts

Did lock duty down 20 locks at Lapworth today - Mr McM has issues with his knees, so I get to do the leg work. BTW Lapworth locks are so beautiful, yet very lonely, all morning we never saw a boat that was moving!

After the locks we turned right onto the GU and stopped at "Turners Green Bridge No 63". Here we found the best pub ever, called "Tom O' The Woods"! They are just so dog friendly!

Funnily enough, when our boat was descending the last lock on the Stratford, a nosy black lab nearly walked onto the roof of our boat! The lab's owner shrieked, causing fits of laughter. Turns out the lab's owner is the landlady (owner, manager?) of "Tom O' The Woods" and she remembered our dog.

We only go into dog friendly pubs, for the reason we can't leave our dog behind, he gets too fretful. We've all had a real treat tonight.

Our meal was fabulous (real homemade streak and kid pud). Then the waitress came out asking if our dog would like a meal! On the doggie menu was ham, chicken, pieces of steak, potatoes and beans. Never known such a treat before! Our dog just devoured it, which is surprising as he normally won't take food from people he doesn't know.

I don't normally recommend pubs, as my tastes might not work for others - but I'll make an exception here!

Edited by Jennifer McM

The Samuel Barlow at Alvecote is very dog friendly, and sometimes has days that positively encourage people to bring as many dogs as possible.

I realise, however, this may not be great news to those who do not appreciate dogs in pubs, (although I have yet to see any badly behaved ones in the Barlow).

This thread reminds me of how well the Greyhound (at Hawkesbury Junc.) bar staff responded to us having to fish Dennis our first JRT out of Sutton Stop Lock after he fell in crossing the gate. They immediately made sure the fire was stoked up so we could dry him and his life jacke in front of it.

The Swan at Compton on the Staffs and Worcester. It's not just the pub thenselves, but the locals too. They practically meet you at the door and the regulars chip in to keep a full biscuit barrel!

Proper pub with good beer too.

Thanks for posting OP; I hadn't realised that Tom o' the Woods was dog friendly. Last time I went in there was years ago when they must've been in a bad patch. Back on the list now, thanks!

Nice to hear the Tom o the Wood is good again.

We've been going occasionally over a lot of years and it's gone from being very good to empty and back again over the years.

Glad to hear it's on the up again, gives us confidence to try it again.

Sue.

(And no we don't have a dog but used to like the pub.)

On the doggie menu was ham, chicken, pieces of steak, potatoes and beans. Never known such a treat before! Our dog just devoured it, which is surprising as he normally won't take food from people he doesn't know.

Now that is what I call living dangerously.

The Holly Bush on the Calden Canal bakes its own dog biscuits. Never seen anywhere else that does that.

The Samuel Barlow at Alvecote is very dog friendly, and sometimes has days that positively encourage people to bring as many dogs as possible.

I realise, however, this may not be great news to those who do not appreciate dogs in pubs, (although I have yet to see any badly behaved ones in the Barlow).

If I took Zeus to the Sammy Barlow, you would see a badly behaved dog, if there were any other dogs in the Bar!

This thread reminds me of how well the Greyhound (at Hawkesbury Junc.) bar staff responded to us having to fish Dennis our first JRT out of Sutton Stop Lock after he fell in crossing the gate. They immediately made sure the fire was stoked up so we could dry him and his life jacke in front of it.

Ricky likes that one too. Can't think why. :-)

or possibly because he gets the best part of a lock keeper's grill when my eyes turn out to be bigger than my belly.

So good to hear of bars welcoming dogs. Several restaurants and bars around here welcome dogs inside. There is an excellent bar in Montmorillon where our Husky likes to meet the landlord's Czeck wolf dog, and another local's Hayling Island Cockle Hound. None of them provide dog menus though, which is a shame, though at least two restaurants have offered doggy bags for us to take food home.

So good to hear of bars welcoming dogs. Several restaurants and bars around here welcome dogs inside. There is an excellent bar in Montmorillon where our Husky likes to meet the landlord's Czeck wolf dog, and another local's Hayling Island Cockle Hound. None of them provide dog menus though, which is a shame, though at least two restaurants have offered doggy bags for us to take food home.

The continent do seem much more relaxed about the whole 'dogs in food serving areas' thing, and yes especially France. Its a pleasure to take a dog on holiday with you to Europe.

Went to Crooke Hall Inn in the summer (L&L just outside Wigan heading for Liverpool. Have always avoided this place as it looked like a family eatery from outside but went in this year and found I was very wrong, its a real proper pub, but when I asked about the dog my heart sank....

"dogs only in the public bar till 8pm and must be on a lead". (it was ten to 8)

next sentence came as a surprise.....

"after 8pm dogs off lead and can roam freely round the pub"

...............Dave

As a dog owner, I must admit to never taking them to the pub with me especially if I am going to eat

They are quite happy to stay on the boat and snooze.

It can be a bit off putting to have someone's over friendly dog allowed to pester you when you are eating

The last time we visited the navigation at Bugsworth there were several large dogs roaming around and much as I like dogs I think they shouldn't be allowed to do that

Haggis

As a dog owner, I must admit to never taking them to the pub with me especially if I am going to eat

It can be a bit off putting to have someone's over friendly dog allowed to pester you when you are eating

The last time we visited the navigation at Bugsworth there were several large dogs roaming around and much as I like dogs I think they shouldn't be allowed to do that

Haggis

Yes, I agree there. At Tom O'the Woods we ate in the conservatory, we could also have ate in the bar, but not in the area they called the 'restaurant'. Which is absolutely fair enough. Each to their own of course, like noisy children, I wouldn't assume everyone loves my dog/child like I do, therefore I expect my dog to behave in company.

Haggis

However its perfectly possible to take a dog into a pub and not have it pester anybody else. People who allow their dogs to do that should be asked to stop it and if they don't be asked to leave.

Simon sits under the table and doesn't bother anyone else.

This ^^^^^^

The biggest nuisance or pair ever are in a pub is the floor space they occupy, (each being, I feel sure, a great deal bigger than Simon).

In my personal view the best arrangement is pubs that have areas where dogs are allowed, and others where they are not. I would have thought this is a win-win situation both for the landlord, and for the punters.

Plenty of bad experiences with dogs throughout my life.

Plenty of bad experiences with people throughout my life, but that is not a valid reason for excluding all people from all pubs!

Did lock duty down 20 locks at Lapworth today - Mr McM has issues with his knees, so I get to do the leg work. BTW Lapworth locks are so beautiful, yet very lonely, all morning we never saw a boat that was moving!

After the locks we turned right onto the GU and stopped at "Turners Green Bridge No 63". Here we found the best pub ever, called "Tom O' The Woods"! They are just so dog friendly!

Funnily enough, when our boat was descending the last lock on the Stratford, a nosy black lab nearly walked onto the roof of our boat! The lab's owner shrieked, causing fits of laughter. Turns out the lab's owner is the landlady (owner, manager?) of "Tom O' The Woods" and she remembered our dog.

We only go into dog friendly pubs, for the reason we can't leave our dog behind, he gets too fretful. We've all had a real treat tonight.

Our meal was fabulous (real homemade streak and kid pud). Then the waitress came out asking if our dog would like a meal! On the doggie menu was ham, chicken, pieces of steak, potatoes and beans. Never known such a treat before! Our dog just devoured it, which is surprising as he normally won't take food from people he doesn't know.

I don't normally recommend pubs, as my tastes might not work for others - but I'll make an exception here!

You might want to nominate them for this:

http://www.dogbuddypubs.com/

Tim