Extreme degreasing of engine bilges.

Featured Posts

We have just exposed a lot of Flamingo's engine room bilge for what may well be the first time since 1968.

In the first instance we were literally digging out layers of grease ridden silt, but have now got things to the state where we are looking at plates and rivets still black with grease.

Gunk has had only a minimal impact on it, and the only other thing available, white spirit, has fared little better. Unfortunately a nearby chandlers stocked no degreasers at all.

Whatever we use will need to be as industrial strength as we can find.

What have people used, please, and with what success.

To be clear, we are not in the territory of sawdust or disposable nappies. We have moved all the easy stuff, but are failing to win against what remains on the surfaces.

I use paraffin to clean parts on the MG. Degreases and cleans very well.

A friend of mine put a cylinder head in the dishwasher (when his wife was away) and it came up really clean. It took 4 days to get the oil off the dishwasher! Suggests hot water and dishwasher tablets / powder may work.

Machine mart sell a parts washer detergent. Not tried it, but it may be worth a go.

Edited by Chalky

When I were a lad I had a saturday job in a scrapyard and one of my jobs was to clean car parts, particularly engine parts, from all the old oil, accumulated detritus that collects on old engines.

The solution was a bath in paraffin followed by a good stiff brushing. It worked very well.

So I would go with the paraffin idea as far less volatile than petrol and then go in with a good stiff brush - one of the ones that have a columnar profile if you know what I mean. Something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lisle-14000-Parts-Cleaning-Brush/dp/B0009OMYDS

Failing paraffin I reckon diesel might do it with adequate ventilation for a week or two afterwards

Yep and completely cover ever thing else in an oily greasey watery mixture, lovely

Can't say I've ever cleaned anything with a stiff brush without doing the same - only slower

Seriously, a steam cleaner has made a massive difference to my work. It cleans an engine down in very short order, stripping off paint an d leaving primer if you want. And it doesn't use a massive amount of water either. Using it in a cabin would take a bit more planning, it will certainly do the job though, and quickly too

You'll need an industrial vacuum to shift the oily water. many boat yards have one

Richard

No your right a steam cleaner is a great asset in an outside environment but in a 8 ft room IMO you will unnecessarily cover everything in shit

On the other hand, it's already covered in...

Either way, I'm glad I'm not doing the job

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Acetone?. Probably very dangerous as it's volatile/flammable - try a bit of acetone nail varnish remover as a sample I'm sure you have some. smile.png <well your wife>. Do research the COSHH sheets!

Edited by mark99

Electric toothbrush to disturb it and cotton buds to soak it up.

Paraffin is excellent. I use it a lot for flushing out things, soaking seized up rusty things, cleaning, glossing dull paintwork. In Eastern Europe its still used extensively for many things including domestically, cleaning indoors, furniture ect. Years ago paraffin and 3 in one oil was about all there was. Soaking and cleaning bike chains and tools, Heaters, blowlamps, cooking stoves, Primus stoves, navigation lamps, Tilley lamps, ect ect. Its uses are endless. Boom, boom, boom, boooooooom!

Edited by bizzard

Machine mart sell a parts washer detergent. Not tried it, but it may be worth a go.

It's not as good as paraffin. It's basically a strong detergent that's non-flammable to suit modern HSE requirements.

Back in the early 70's I knew a chap who worked in a factory which made cantilever toolboxes. His job was to wash the toolboxes in a huge bath of trichloroethylene prior to them going to the paint shop. It certainly did the job but I don't believe you can buy it any more can you?

Citrus degreasers are supposed to replace it but I don't believe they work very well

Tony

Edited by WotEver

It's not as good as paraffin. It's basically a strong detergent that's non-flammable to suit modern HSE requirements.

Back in the early 70's I knew a chap who worked in a factory which made cantilever toolboxes. His job was to wash the toolboxes in a huge bath of trichloroethane prior to them going to the paint shop. It certainly did the job but I don't believe you can buy it any more can you?

Yep it got recognised as Carcenogenic.

Used to clean our hands with it as Apprentices!

CT