How to mirror phone screen to laptop/TV without data tethering

Odana

Featured Posts

On Three I get unlimited data on my phone, but only 12GB ( I think) tethered on the new contract. This means streaming films is a bit limited. I remember a discussion a few years back (was it DeanS?) about mirroring a phone screen to a laptop or TV.

I've had a go at watching a film on my phone mirrored via Vysor to my laptop today - seems to work OK but I'm not sure if I have been 'tethering or using the data on the phone.

Has anyone else got a system that works for them? I got a bit lost in the talk of gadgetry - need a very simple explanation! Many thanks.

Just got Amazon Prime which seems to come with Amazon videos and TV - the thought of being able to hole up watching films is appealing. John is likely to be stuck at home poorly for much of the winter, so I'd like to get him set up with summat other than daytime telly and a newspaper!

I could be wrong (usually am) but I did a little research about this some time ago. Using an Iphone on Three, there is certainly a lead that allows us to watch the film on TV screen, but I believe it "hotspots" from the iphone and uses tethered data up. Things change of course.

There's a cable for iPhones to a TV and there's a charging hub with a built in cable to tv for Samsungs. Both don't use tethering at all. :)

There certainly is a cable for iPhones that let the phone screen be mirrored on a TV via hdmi, I have one. The issue is some apps like Sky Go block the use of it; the Sky Go app will not run if the cable is connected. BBC iPlayer worked with it last time I tryed it. So it depends if Amazon allow you to do it or not, a google search suggests that they may do.

I run a hdmi cable converter that plugs into my phone add my phone charger and job done when you select the hdmi chanel it shows whats on the phone on the tv even uses the tvs sound we use it alot for watching downloaded films or iplayer ect.

One like this cost me about £6-7 think i got mine from amazon

http://www.cablesuk.co.uk/Samsung-MHL-Adaptor-Cable_MHL-Adaptor-For-Connection-to-HD-TV's-p1396.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_campaign=FeedReach&gclid=CKT-rZSpzc8CFbEy0wodL_0NRQ

Its never let me down and works on any tv my old phone you use to need a power supply (phone charger pluged into the side) but my note3 will run it off the phones power so no need for a power cable just a charged phone my old old phone s3 needed power my s7edge runs with no power but need an adapter as the socket is slightly diffrent but for 6 ill just buy a new hdmi adapter

Edited by billybobbooth

There certainly is a cable for iPhones that let the phone screen be mirrored on a TV via hdmi, I have one. The issue is some apps like Sky Go block the use of it; the Sky Go app will not run if the cable is connected. BBC iPlayer worked with it last time I tryed it. So it depends if Amazon allow you to do it or not, a google search suggests that they may do.

Yes, Amazon films and TV can be played over the Apple HDMI lead to a TV, as can BBC iPlayer programmes.

Last trip, we downloaded films over pub wifi while we ate/drank, to watch later on.

Thanks all. I have a Motorola Moto G. Those cables look what we need. So on Amazon can you download films to watch later? I thought it was just streaming. I can download at work no problem. If John refuses to use a phone without buttons he will have to wait for me to come home to watch TV!

Thanks all. I have a Motorola Moto G. Those cables look what we need. So on Amazon can you download films to watch later? I thought it was just streaming. I can download at work no problem. If John refuses to use a phone without buttons he will have to wait for me to come home to watch TV!

I'm afraid it looks like your MotoG is unable to output a TV signal, and therefore the cables above will not work. A Chromecast (Google it) may be the way to go.

Other question - yes Amazon films can be downloaded to watch later.

Bother. What cheapish smart phones DO do this? May be worth upgrading soon. We also have older Galaxy Fit in a drawer somewhere, which isn't 4G

Doesn't Chromecast log as tethering? I read up a bit the other day but it wasn't quite clear.

Edited to add

Ah, so if Amazon films can download to watch later, I can download at work on laptop. Excellent! Though needs more planning. Now, same question again - what cables connect a Macbook (or surface pro) to a TV?

Edited by Odana

Bother. What cheapish smart phones DO do this? May be worth upgrading soon. We also have older Galaxy Fit in a drawer somewhere, which isn't 4G

Doesn't Chromecast log as tethering? I read up a bit the other day but it wasn't quite clear.

Edited to add

Ah, so if Amazon films can download to watch later, I can download at work on laptop. Excellent! Though needs more planning. Now, same question again - what cables connect a Macbook (or surface pro) to a TV?

My MacBook connects to my TV. I could show you.

Edited to add

I use an HDMI to Macbook cable purchased from t'internet,around 12 quids

Mac lightning port(or similar)

CT

ETA looked it up

HDMI to Thunderbolt port,some cables have Audio as well,but not always

Edited by cereal tiller

You could always buy a second hand 30-40 quid or new £59.99 apple tv box. Connect it to your tv and you can air play your mac content to the TV. You will of course need a little router on the boat.... getting complicated now I guess. I have tried it at home and I can air play Netflix/BBC Iplayer and Amazon plus anything on my Mac. I will try this set up on the boat via my EE MIFI device, not sure it acts as a router but I'll give it a go as I am interested now. Frustrating thing it my old samsung phone that has screen mirroring built in works on the Panasonic smart tv at home but not with the Samsung smart tv on the boat ?? Technology don't you just love it !!

I was going to look into Chromecast dongle (I'm also on 3 with unlimited data but very limited hotspot tethering). Saw on the ad for it yesterday that it requires wifi though. Have just ordered HDMI cable and will be very excited if this works!

Nothing like cosy autumn / winter nights with a bottle of red, the fire, candles, cats and a box set!

The galaxy s5 used to use a cable but on the s7 it can only be done by mirror imaging. You need to ensure it is a smart tv. Thats how I watch films from my phone and I have no problem with buffering or anything. You can use showbox or bobbie movie box all supply the latest films and are of good quality