Farmers Locks - Birmingham and Fazeley

Featured Posts

Are you continuing to the Hatton Flight? If so you might need to check with C&RT, a boater told me today that repairs are planned for next week. Internet is no good where I am at the moment, or I'd check for you

Hatton is closed for repairs 7th November to 16th December - see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/7671/hatton-flight-grand-union

We came up the locks yesterday and they certainly need some repairs - some gates are leaking very badly, for example- these are on the list of items to be done.

For boaters travelling from Warwick and Solihull who don't want to go up the locks, there is another alternative and safe place for mooring which is rarely mentioned - The Bond, Fazeley Street http://thebondco.net/. Between bridge 95 and Warwick Bar stoplock. They don't publicise moorings, but occasionally boats are moored there. Easy access to the city centre (10 minutes walk) during the day- though I don't know whether you would be locked in in the evening ! Good cafe too !

Edited by John Brightley

Hatton is closed for repairs 7th November to 16th December - see https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/7671/hatton-flight-grand-union

We came up the locks yesterday and they certainly need some repairs - some gates are leaking very badly, for example- these are on the list of items to be done.

For boaters travelling from Warwick and Solihull who don't want to go up the locks, there is another alternative and safe place for mooring which is rarely mentioned - The Bond, Fazeley Street http://thebondco.net/. Between bridge 95 and Warwick Bar stoplock. They don't publicise moorings, but occasionally boats are moored there. Easy access to the city centre (10 minutes walk) during the day- though I don't know whether you would be locked in in the evening ! Good cafe too !

Often looked at that but assumed the moorings were private

I've always thought these were private moorings too.

Another alternative in that neck of the woods is above Camp Hill Top Lock, by, or round the back of, the services block. Or, if you are feeling adventurous under the loading bay (but beware of the goose poop), or

Just the other side of the Ashted Tunnel. We've overnighted here but I wouldn't want to leave the boat there unattended.

Came down from Birmingham to Minworth today.

Ran into Terryb halfway. We'd both got stitched up because someone somewhere had been leaving paddles up and draining the pounds. Thanks for waiting for me to get through lock 6. Hope you weren't delayed to much. As it turns out there was a lockie, who ran up and down to run water down to re-float my boat.

Then nipper went by me as I was filling the water tank at Minworth. Nice to see you and thanks for lifting the paddles behind you for me.

I'm turning left at Fazeley, then right at Fradley. Need to get to Burton before the stoppage at Branston.

Apart from the lack of water, Farmers Bridge locks are fine, if a bit smelly in places. Aston was fine, too, but I wouldn't choose to moor at the bottom if I could avoid it.

Last couple of times I've done Farmer's Bridge this year there has been so much water it has been over the towpath in places.

This was in May on the BCN challenge

post-14862-0-51019300-1478026647_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rob-M

Came down from Birmingham to Minworth today.

Ran into Terryb halfway. We'd both got stitched up because someone somewhere had been leaving paddles up and draining the pounds. Thanks for waiting for me to get through lock 6. Hope you weren't delayed to much. As it turns out there was a lockie, who ran up and down to run water down to re-float my boat.

Then nipper went by me as I was filling the water tank at Minworth. Nice to see you and thanks for lifting the paddles behind you for me.

I'm turning left at Fazeley, then right at Fradley. Need to get to Burton before the stoppage at Branston.

Apart from the lack of water, Farmers Bridge locks are fine, if a bit smelly in places. Aston was fine, too, but I wouldn't choose to moor at the bottom if I could avoid it.

Yes, great to yourself and also Terryb too!

We carried on a bit too far tonight really, It was a long tiring day, what with the buggered up start, because of the idiot who went down last night.

Duration 7hrs 31 minutes 9.25 miles and 27locks according to Water Explorer.

Mary and I have a good idea who it was that left the paddles up and gates open and it will be interesting if we run into him on passage, anyway we eventually stopped just above the Curdworth lock.

Will be turning right at Fazely and meandering gently down to Coventry.

Nipper

Interesting about the paddles being left up. We're the boat that you met at Aston Top Lock. We spent Monday night at Cuckoo Wharf, mooring at 2pm and left at 9.30 Tuesday morning. No boat came past us whilst moored.

The first 3 locks were as expected being left overnight, that is part full. The rest of the flight all the bottom gates were open giving us a very quick passage up, 1 1/2 hours which I don't think too bad for two 70 year old. There were 4 boats moored above lock 11 and my assumption was that one of them was responsible.